Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 00:38 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:27
I'm making a modernday horror called "The Oblivion", and before I get to my question I guess I'll tell you what it's about.
It takes place in London, England in 2008, the Gates Of Oblivion have been opened in the most haunted house in the city, and the world, releasing evil spirits into the city, taking over the bodies and minds turning them into zombies. You are Chris Chelios, and you are the only one who can shut the Gates Of Oblivion, send the evil spirits back to where they came from, and save the world from apocalypse.
now, HERES MY QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!
And I was just wondering, does anyone any tips on making a game really scary or giving the player a sense of forboding?

P.S. Some people that already heard about this project have been bothering me about this so let me just say before you ask, "NO, I didn't get the idea for the game from "HELLGATE: LONDON or ELDER SCROLLS: OBLIVION, I don't even know anything about HG: LONDON, and this is nowhere near ES: OBLIVION!!! And this isn't a showcase so don't ask for too many questions about the game, a few is fine, but not too much.

"Does anyone know my girlfriends cell number, I forgot it,
oh wait a minute, I don't have a girlfriend."
-Troy Chambers
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 01:04
One word, dark!
If you make the levels dark and just uses light so that the player barely can see his or hers feets its scarry enough.
Then use sounds, scary childsongs singed by children, just take "Mary has a litle lamb" and put some echo effects and you scare "the part you sitt on" out of people

Visit us at www.freewebs.com/bigvikinggames , you can find our new free games and new free models.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 01:39 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:27
Thanks Big Viking Games, I already know I need to make it dark, I mean, what's a horror game without parts where you can't even see your gun. I like the scary childsongs idea, i've thought of that too, it's just, I don't really know how to do that kindof stuff, I'll look around the forums for some sounds and stuff. Or if you know how to do that stuff, that works.
Thanks BVG.

-Troy Chambers
phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
Troy lol your story is fine if you changed the names then it would be sweet. Anyone hears oblivion gates automatically think Elder Scrolls or the london setting springs up Hellgate london lol...anyways.

Horror games are usally broken into factors like any game, such as ambience (lighting)/Sound/graphics/level layout etc etc.

-Go for a dark setting, but be reasonable.
-Some sounds random zombie sounds and a nice horror ambience sound.
-Graphics, put blood around and maybe some lying dead bodies.
-Dont go overboard then causing it to lag, since its in london try basing in enclosed areas such as "Inside bigben", underground subways etc etc. So dont try and create a london landscape

Sudden spawing enmies etc can cause a player to jump espically when done correctly. Dunno what else to say...basically general knowledge im sure some of the more experienced horror creaters will lend you a hand.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 02:06 Edited at: 9th Sep 2007 07:39
my suggestion DONT MAKE IT DARK! my god why does everyone think dark is scarey, it just makes the game hard to see and aggrivateing. good lighting will get you further. Check out Creator of zombies tut. Put some effort into the walls and floors to create an atmosphere, not a lack of one by making it dark. You have to think who are the heroes of these games? Mostlt adult characters. Adults arent afraid of the dark, little kids are. Adults just hate not being able to move around in it especially in a video game,lol. Dark does not equal scarey. Good atmosphere, good enemies do. Take a look at most cinema these days , do they make it so dark you cant see surroundings? No, they make the surroundings scarey. Oh and music helps tremenously or atleast some creepy ambiance.So remember, only kids are afraid of the dark.
-end rant

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 02:42
I think some background music will do...
That plays some effects (so not really music like pop, rock etc)
but that plays some wiched effects..

Also place some soundzones...for creepy effects.
When you enter one it playes a scream or...
plays some footsteps like someone is behind you.

Also some triggerzones will do...
Use the script: plrinzoneactivadeused.fpi
For spawning enemies suddenly behind you, or maybe something else.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 02:49 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:27
Thanks guys, I'll think of a different name, and if London brings up HellGate then i'll change the city, but I won't change the fact that gates are opened and releasing the spirits.
@Disturbing 13's post, I never planned to make it super dark, just good shadows and stuff, but I will want it as dark as Condemned or Doom3, but I'm not going to make it super dark, besides, I plan on getting Smithos flashlight so that even when it is dark you just pull that out.
As for the sounds and music stuff, I found a fantastic site with some sounds that made me pee my pants, I'm serious, but just a little. But I haven't found anything like childsongs but I posted a request in somebodies soundpack thread, maybe he'll do 'em. I also plan to have little ammo for the guns in the game, so the player can't rely on blowing a zombie's face of with a gun, they'll have to use melee weapons plenty.
And I'll try out making enemies spawn behind the player, that's cool, I didn't know that's possible without being good at scripting.
Keep coming with the tips.

P.S.
Anyone know of a script that makes an object fall off a shelf or table or something.

-Troy Chambers
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 05:25 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 06:00
Sorry off topic. I'll just remove this.

Second Chairman of COZ's Productions.
Stoopid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 05:25
Scare Tips

General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
Ha stoopid you crack me up

A noob
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 05:50 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 06:00
Well If you want my advice, think out of the box. And don't set up everything to make it so very predictable. Sounds are nice... but don't overdue it with a scream everytime you take a step. And the lighting is a biggie! If its as bright as the sun in the room then there is no fun in that. Try to add elements of foreshadowing as well. Tell the player what is going to happen... indirectly.

Be smart and realistic with entity placement and such. Plan everything out and you can get it done without all the clutter and confussion.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 06:12 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:28
Ha ha, very funny Stoopid, but let's be serious here.
@Astek, I wouldn't overdo it, just sounds at certain times.
And I already know what to do with lighting.
But as for renaming the game, since THE OBLIVION makes people think of ES4, any ideas for that, and also, sinse Gates Of Oblivion also makes people think of ES, what's a better way to word it.
Keep it up with the scare tips, I need all the advice I can get,
and if anyone has an idea for a different name and way to word Gates Of Oblivion.
As for the blood around bodies and stuff Phil said, I could probably do that, but I don't plan on making this a gorey game, I plan on making it a T rated game, a T game can still be scary, but gore and stuff being lowered shouldn't change what people think of the game.

-Troy Chambers
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 06:29 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 06:01
Yeah... kind of does for me. No blood = No fun, for me generally speaking.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 07:07 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:28
Astek, I didn't say I wasn't going to put any at all in the game, I just said it wont be a gorefest like DOOM or anything. Besides, gameplay is really the best part of a game, and if I get it really scary then that will add to it, so, there will be some blood, but not an M rated amount. And I won't be able to use FPSC until next week, I'll get a screeny in if I can, but I don't get how screenies help name a game, it's the story that names it in my book, and most anyone elses.

-Troy Chambers
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 07:35 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 06:01
Alright

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 21:42 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:29
A screeny should be posted by Sunday

-Troy Chambers
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 21:45
ASTEK.
I dont know yet....
Will have to think about it.

Cheers,
Cheese Cake.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 22:08 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 06:01
Off Topic. I'll just remove.

fata error
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm i think some phsycological scares are good like your character
is delusional mabey from an asylum. i mean like something writen in blood on the wall then it happens,flashbacks are good,visions of something thats going to happen later in the game,confined places with riseing blood thats quite creepy to

.chrishappy zombie smashing
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 23:08
I have just released a new chapter in the tutorial. It may help

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 00:21 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 06:02
Yeah or you could have a phycic ordeal wear when you pick up a certain item you can see the memories of what the last person who touched that object. That's what I'm going to do. It's for my new game GRUNGE.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 00:41 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:29
The psycological stuff is a great idea, i'm doing flashback/dream type levels, but, how do I do that with an item, that's an awesome idea, just don't know how to go about doing it.

@CoZ: Thanks dude, awesome tutorial, I've learned alot from it.

@Fata Error: Like I said, psycological sounds good, but if you really read through this thread, you would know I don't plan on having alot of gore in this game, so the stuff on the walls like you said, isn't going to happen in this game. If this game "were" to be rated by the ESRB when it's done, it would probably be T, I just want good gameplay and things that make the player wet themselves, not a ton of gore, I'm not into that kind of stuff anymore, I don't even like talking about that stuff, so please stop with the gorey suggestions, just give some to scare the player.

P.S. And again, any ideas for a different name, apparently you all think it should be changed, so give me ideas.

-Troy Chambers
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 01:05 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:30
Here are my plans for the levels
Crime Scene
Police Station
Vision #1
Mall
Office Building
Hotel
Vision #2
Prison (possibilty, need to find prison bars 1st.)
School (possibility, need to get better at making school levels, so far the school levels I've tried doing aren't commercial level.)
Abandoned Warehouse
If I do the Prison & school levels, another Vision will happen here, if not, game will go on to the Morgue level.
Morgue
Deaths Home-Oblivion section 1.
Oblivion section 2-Deaths Home

I'll start on these over the weekend. Possible screeny or two by Sunday.

P.S. Anyone know where to get playground models, those would be good to have if I do the school level.

-Troy Chambers
BioX
Years of Service
User Offline
try the following dark and weird noises like a classic is a heart beat then the loops stops an enemy attacks! add build up to get the adrenaline going
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 02:17 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:30
I'll try to find a heartbeat sound.

-Troy Chambers
BioX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'll try to find a heartbeat sound."

enjoy here one is!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 00:36 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:30
Heartbeat sounds great, but could you make it play through for at least, 30 seconds, that only plays for like, two. Sounds perfect though.
@Underside: I searched Afraid Of Monsters in the forums, apparently it's not there so, where can I find it.

-Troy Chambers
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Prison (possibilty, need to find prison bars 1st.)

Go to fpsfree.com and download the jail segments.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 00:53 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:30
I'll see if I can get 'em to work, but so far whenever I try putting stuff from FPSfree it doesn't go directly into FPSC, it goes to some folder and I have to put it in, and I'm not sure how to do that. Hopefully I'll be able to get it to work.

-Troy Chambers
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 01:14 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:31
I can't find any spooky/echoey childsongs or laughter sounds, anyone know where to find any, and since most of (if not all) you guys, think the name should be changed, so here is my only other idea so far:
DEATHS DOMAIN.
And since the gates of Oblivion brings Elder Scrolls up also, heres another idea for wording that: The Domain of Death has opened it's gates, releasing evil spirits turning humans into zombies.
So are those better, do they not bring up Elder Scrolls, and if the London setting brings up HellGate, maybe I should change it to New York City instead, what do you all think, change city or leave it in London.
And is that a significant name change and everything.
Keep posting.

-Troy Chambers
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 01:34 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:31
Is there a way to take screenshots without using a camera, taking a pic, and putting it on the computer, I've heard it can be done by hitting a key, if that's true, which one.

-Troy Chambers
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 02:05
Print Screen, or Prt Scn, or even pressing F12 will save a screenshot in the "files" folder.

Search for "HellHouse" in Showcase.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 02:29 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:31
Awesome, thanks NickyDude.

Again, anyone know where to find spooky childsongs, marry had a little lamb would be nice, NickyDude, I posted on your Horror Sounds thread, take a look and reply, see if you can do those requests.

-Troy Chambers
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Shoot... I was doing something like this before you too. Knife to the head man.

But go ahead and do it but if you start using the song I wan tto use then I'm going to say something.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 05:03 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:32
Sorry Astek, but what song were you going to use. And dude, I didn't get the childsong idea from any of your showcases or anything,
I already thought of it and Big Viking Games suggested it. But it is a fantastic idea, you can't blame anyone for wanting to do that, lots of people do that, I just won't use the song you're using, but better tell me what it is,
and where did you get the songs.

And why do you have a Demon Sun sig, that's CoZ's game.

-Troy Chambers
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And why do you have a Demon Sun sig, that's CoZ's game."

I'm working with COZ now.

And I understand the concept of little childrens songs and a dark atmoshpere. I'm using "The Bear Went Over The Mountain" and you don't get them anywhere unless you want copyright issues. You record them.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 05:58 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:32
Oh, guess I'll have to get my friend to put something together for me, and don't worry about me using the same song as you, I've been planning to do "Marry Had A Little Lamb" anyways.

-Troy Chambers
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 05:59 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 05:59
Alrighty. Best of luck with your future endevures.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 12:26
Troy, does it realy have to be a well known song?
In the original 'EVIL DEAD' film when one lady zombie 'turned' she just quoted in a childlike voice 'playing cards' ie 'queen of hearts,two of spades, jack of diamonds'.
This was very effective, so it shows you that just mindless ramblings might also give you the same results as a well known song.
Just an idea and good luck with your venture.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 23:09 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:26
Thanks Ross Tra Damus, I've been thinking of that too.

Bad News, FPSC only runs at the computer at my dads house, and I was going over there today to work on it, but he and my stepmom went to Salt Lake City, so for the 4TH...STINKIN'...WEEK.IN.A.ROW, I can't work on my games, now it's gonna be another two weeks before I can work on it, dang, SOB, I've been waiting to work on this for weeks, now I gotta wait another two. If something "COMES UP" again next weekend I'm supposed to be there, some heads are going to be split. I want to work on this game.

Okay, sorry guys, I'm done ranting, but OMFG, I've been wanting to work on this, man I'm P.Oed.
NOW I'M DONE RANTING.

-Troy Chambers
protoborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 02:57 Edited at: 16th Sep 2007 03:01
D3, I just have one point. If you have played Doom 3, you know about the power of the darkness. It may not be scary to adults, but the innate fear of the dark is still present in adults. It is an ancient fear. Children SHOW their fear of the dark. Adults internalize it because they have been taught to bury fear.

@Troy: The idea of having children singing in some creepy manner is a good one. As Ross tra damus said:
Quote: "it shows you that just mindless ramblings might also give you the same results as a well known song."

In one game I have, Shadowman, in one area you are walking through an asylum in the world of the dead and you hear children crying and complaining. You do not see the children and they sound as though they are scared of where they are. The area is also decorated like a child's playroom. It is very eerie. Just some ideas of mine. I will be using children's songs played with echo to achieve the "I am in a scary place" feel of my levels. I will play the song backwards and mix that with the song played forwards.

You said you wanted this to be rated teen. Well, that is a nice idea, but scary tends to be hard to pull of without raising the rating. Most scary games tend to either miss or be rated mature. Although, I still do not get why Doom 3 is rated mature. It has relatively little in the way of blood. It is just very spooky.

You know your code sucks when it does what you want before you know what you want.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It has relatively little in the way of blood. It is just very spooky."

Well... no. Have even played the whole game? There is blood smeared everywhere! And I think its rated M because of all the giblets laying around and naked people haging from the ceiling with tentacles through them, marines on a crusifix, and the hellknights are one scary mothers (although nothing to give me nightmares)... and pretty darn ugly too.

Well back on topic...
I'm sorry about that Troy, I wish you luck in the future so you can get to work.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 05:25 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:26
Thanks Astek.

@Protogorg: Well dude, I don't believe thats true. There are lots of scary PG-13 movies, why can't it be the same with games. Sure most PG-13 movies aren't that scary, but teens are really very able to handle scary stuff, so I think I should be ok with the scaring.
There will be graphic stuff in the game, but stuff possibly seen in a PG-13 movie.
Or possibly a T game.

-Troy Chambers
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 05:25 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:34
Keep posting guys, and check it out, I changed my sig today (off topic).

-Troy Chambers
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 05:54 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 05:54
But seriously guys, keep posting scare tips for me, I really want my game to be good.

-Troy Chambers
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 15:03
Dude, rely on ambiance to set the player on edge!

Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 16:23
It's all about sound! And sudden appearances. Use sounds at a lower level but suddenly when the player enters a room, play a louder sample with a scream or monster sound. And have enemies appear out of nowhere. With sounds.

Or have a nice room, normal looks. A couch, a cosy atmosphere. So the player thinks "aaah, no danger in sight, I can lean back, nothing's gonna happen here"...add some calm music. Then suddenly make the opposite of this scene happen. An ugly looking monster, harsh screams.

In my opinion it's sound and sudden appearances. It scared me the most when I was at a friend's place...entered his room and he hid somewhere and as soon as I came in he jumped out and screamed.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 00:07
Thanks guys, keep posting.

-Troy Chambers
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 00:26
I should be able to get at least one days worth of work done on DEATHS DOMAIN over the weekend, so a showcase could be seen soon.
But it's not a definate, but a probably.

-Troy Chambers
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Sudden appearances used to get me all the time. Half Life was the worst for this. You'd be happily strolling along and then all of a sudden a load of 'gaunts would appear behind you and in front, and some head crabs would come from the ceiling. Another thing you can do is have a perfectly normal corridor explode and block the player right in front of them. It might also be good to have a booming daemonic voice that says things to the player every so often.

Basically, surprise is what always gets people. If you can see a threat before you get to it, it isn't scary. But if you have an empty corridor and slowly bring up the volume of some tense music - so it's almost subliminal, and then spawn an enemy behind the player that hits em pretty hard, that would get them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 11:28:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 11:28:12