Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Nintendo DS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to make a game 4 Nintendo DS using DARKBASIC? How about on other game consoles (PS2,PS3,Gamecube,etc.)?
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 18:42
I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before. And the answer was no.

Our home is our world, our life, home is our world...
Homeworld: The ladder
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 22:00
unless you can make directX work on your console, no.
Basically, wherever DB games are, DirectX has to be.

thanks to deathead for the sig!
Projects: alien abductor-5%
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 22:58
Creating a console game isnt as easy as just putting it on a disc. Try inserting your favourite PC game in your PS2. wont work.(Unless you got the PS2 version of it too. Which is weird, as having two copies of the game is kindof... well, weird i guess.)

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 02:07 Edited at: 25th Sep 2007 02:08
Each console has their own SDK which are sold for a rather high price upon being launched.

I'd hate to say it, but if you wanna program for the DS, I would highly suggest programming for something a little simpler (and one that has an SDK that don't cost nearly as much anymore)..... like an NES.

If that goes well, then maybe step it up a notch. Maybe go for the SNES, or GBA. But if I were you, i would not go out and get an SDK for a console as advanced as that with little to no console programming experience under my belt.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

[Edit]
Why is this in the 2D forum anyway?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 16:56
DS development is really cheap - I mean you can get the hardware you need for less than £30, the software platform is free, there's a good homebrew community too. You should visit the threads in Other Languages section, there's a thread about how to get into DS development. It's something I wish I had the time to get into, the DS is the best handheld for this sort of thing without a doubt. People might suggest a GPX2, which is actually designed somewhat for homebrew development, but there's just so many DS's out there - a bigger market than we get on the PC.

NES development, well unless you fancy learning assembly I'd avoid it like so many plagues!.

We're going down... in a spiral to the ground...
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 19:32
I would say the GBA/DS has one of the best homebrew communities I've seen, you can get started really quickly with just an emulator and devkitpro.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 02:47
I haven't really seen any PSX/PS2 Homebrew

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 11:20:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 11:20:46