Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FREE 2D Physics Engine Plugin!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 18:45
@Diggsey

I've finally started a cool project with Box2d (see "Los Mineros" in game design theory) but I'm having two problems:

1.) (Has been mentioned before, but not answered) Whenever I make a body from a template, it acts completely static and won't move no matter what I do to it.

2.) Is there a way to check whether my character is sitting on another body? Basically, a collision command? I've seen some in the ini file that look promising but I can't figure out how to use them.

[i]"Grow food in dirt? Save time — eat dirt."[i]
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 19:30
1) If you specify 0 density for all the shapes in the template, it will be static. To make it dynamic, just give it some mass by increasing the density

2) Loop through the contact nodes for the body you want to check for collision using 'b2GetBodyFirstContactNode' and 'b2GetNextContactNode'
Once you have the contact node, you can get the actual contact using 'b2GetContactNodeContact'. When you have that, you can get the two bodies involved using 'b2GetContactBody' (The body parameter is either 0 or 1 and represents the two bodies in the collision).
If you need more information, you can get the friction and restitution in the contact using 'b2GetContactFriction' and 'b2GetContactRestitution'. If you need even MORE information, you will have to look through the manifolds for that particular contact. You can do this using 'b2GetContactManifoldCount' and 'b2GetContactManifold'. Once you have the manifold, you can get at the contact points for that manifold using 'b2GetManifoldPointCount' and then one of the commands that begins 'b2GetManifoldContactPoint...'. You can also get the collision normal for the whole manifold using 'b2GetManifoldNormalX' and 'b2GetManifoldNormalY'

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 21:32
1.) Yes, I looked for that, but there I couldn't see any way to change the density of shapes.

2.) Thanks, I'll try that out.

We really need those help files...if I knew more about the plugin I'd do them myself.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 20:04
Bleh. The contact node commands keep crashing the program with a "LosMineros.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows." The work sometimes, but not other times, and I have no idea why.

NoFloors is the number of floors. Floors is an array which holds the IDs of each of the floor objects. Before, I had it so the character would jump only when he was touching another object. But now, I'm starting to make ropes and other things I don't want the character to be able to jump on, so I need a way to find out exactly which body he is touching.
Anybody shed some light on the situation?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 20:14
@bmaczero
You are using them incorrectly (not your fault, because there are no help files)

Try this instead:

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 20:23
That works excellently. Thanks a lot!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 01:36
Here's some cool functions I made for use in Los Mineros. They have to do with making ropes:

To initiate the ropes, call RopeInit(ImgNumber). ImgNumber is the number in which it will store the rope image, so it needs to be a free image number.

To make a rope, call MakeRope(Links). Links is the number of links the rope will have, experiment to get a good number.

Then, calling DrawRopes(RopeStart) every loop will update the sprites that represent the rope bodies. RopeStart should be the highest sprite number in your program, because the sprites will be numbered from that number up. (For example, if you had one 25-link rope and you put a RopeStart of 100, the first link would be sprite 100, the second sprite 101, the third sprite 102, etc.

I'll probably come up with more stuff to do with your ropes as I work on Los Mineros.

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job Diggsey .
Is there a version of this plugin comming to GDK ?
Or its just better use Box 2D directly ?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 20:56
It's much better to use Box2D directly if you have the GDK

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
very nice work diggsey!
but i have a question.
I thought about making a kind of worms armageddon and i have a problem : Is it possible to use Box 2d to do that? I don't really know how to do the collisions between bullets and level with box2d. Is it possible? and how?
If it's not possible, could you had something to your dll that could helps to do that?
Or does somebody know how to do physics with a drawed 2d level?

thanks

Sry for mybad english
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 18:08
It's not really possible, but you could either apply impulses to objects if the collide with the level, or you could apporximate the level using boxes or something.

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
yes but the landscape will be damaged during the game and it needs perfect collision system i think.
hmmm i really need a good physic system and box2d was perfect...
I don't know how to get the slope (or the normal vecteur) at a point of a 2dlevel :/

or a solution could be to create a fonction that make a shape from a black/white 2d image....

Sry for mybad english
Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 13:13 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 13:26
Hi Diggsey,

First of all congratulations for this wonderful wrapper.
So far I didn't do anything with it by myself...just tested the different program code posted in the forum.

I have a little problem with the rope bridge example.
With the dll that weight about 100kb (the one from the zip file)
The program compiles fine, but when I run it I receive the following error message: Could not find function DeleteJoint in 23: PhysicsPlugin.dll

With the dll that weight about 80kb (the one you posted after)
The program does not compile and the compiler returns the following message: parameter mismatch in expression b2CreateBoxBody at line 17 ... which is:

floorbody = b2CreateBoxBody(myworld,399,50,0,0,0.5)

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks in advance,

Ulric

"I'm not young enough to know everything!"
ASUS P5W-DH - Intel Core2 Duo E6700@3.2GHz - 4Gb DDR2-800MHz nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
Vista Home Premium - DX9c & DX10
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 18:01
It's because with the updates, the commands have changed slightly. If you look at the keywords, there should be an extra friction parameter at the end. If you add this in, it should work

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
hi diggsey. i solved my problem and now i have a physic system that works perfectly with points and with any level
i have an another question :
how exactly works a rigid body? i think that you test if some points of the body are in collisions with other bodies. Then you can calculate the collision response of this point, but how do you calculate the response of all the body?
thanks

Sry for mybad english
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 23:03
@Graphiboc
I didn't write the actual physics engine, although I do kind-of understand how it works. The contact with that occured the earliest is found, and the simulation is rolled back to that time that it occured. Impulses are applied to the objects, and the simulation steps forward again to the correct time. While there are still collisions happening, this will repeat up to the ampunt of times specified by iterations.

Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 14:56 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2008 18:41
I have couple more questions

1) How do you add properties (restitution, friction, density) to a shape made from a template such as this one

2) How do the manifold commands work? I am trying to calculate the normal of the ground my player is on, but i always seem to crash the program.
EDIT: I've made some progress, i think i have it working fine now, gere is my code:

Thanks a lot

Edit: Also, would it be possible to ignore, collisions between 2 objects and have them move through each other as if they were not there. (Although both objects would have to be able to act upon world objects)

Edit#2: Lots of questions, sorry! What is the relationship between the individual values of friction for each object and the coefiecient of friction in the collision, it doesn't appear to be linear? Likewise for restitution.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 22:38
@Xlaydos
restitution, friction and density are additional parameters in the command 'b2AddShapeToBodyTemplate'

The restitution of a contact point is the one of the object with the greatest restitution, so if the two objects have restitution values of 1.0 and 2.0, 2.0 will be used.

The friction of a contact point is calculated using this formula, also known as the geometric mean:
friction# = sqrt(friction1# * friction2#)
(but in C++ code obviously)

You can set which objects collide with which others by playing around with the b2SetShapeGroups command, and b2SetShapeCollides. The first sets which groups the object belongs to, and the second sets which groups it collides with.

Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much... i'll give those a shot tomorrow

Thanks again
Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
I get a parameter mismatch when i try to add restitution,density and friction as additional parameters in the command 'b2AddShapeToBodyTemplate'.

I'm also having problems with the b2SetShapeGroups and b2SetShapeCollides commands, everything always seems to collide with everything.

Also, is there the way to get the friction value of a body? I tried playing with b2GetPartFriction but always got 0.

Thanks
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 22:50 Edited at: 8th Feb 2008 23:06
Might have found another slight bug...

This code should do... nothing, right? It's setting a variable with itself. However, the moment I rotate cha(slot).body, it goes ballistic. Without the command, it runs fine. (trying to implement some kind of air resistance) Am I not understanding the commands?

I am going to guess that one of the commands is not going through the units converter.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 01:01
@Nex
You are probably right

Box2D V2.0 is VERY nearly out, (and it's half term for me now) so if it is released soon, I should get a new version out fixing all of these bugs. I will probably remake most of it from scratch

MadrMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 19:35
I just can't get the sleeping to work. I tried every possible value i could put in at the b2CreateWorld but nothing seems to have any effect..

Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 15:08
@Diggsey: Thanks for your quick answer...and sorry for my dumbness...and my late reply!!!

"I'm not young enough to know everything!"
ASUS P5W-DH - Intel Core2 Duo E6700@3.2GHz - 4Gb DDR2-800MHz nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
Vista Home Premium - DX9c & DX10
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 06:13
H4ck1d:

Are you still around? If so, I'd be glad to help out with the help files (heh). I can use Frontpage to put the info you have together, or I can come up with the info as far as my experience allows me to.

If you're not, I'll probably start working on my own...I think people really need these to use Box2D effectively (including me ). It would be nice to have the progress you've already made, though.