Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / how to make cool 2d effects?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 02:56
the above is pretty much the question. in 3d games, you can write codes to alter textures and make them look better, known as shaders. is there a way to produce similar effects in 2d while maintaning a good framerate?

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 08:03
it depends, on whut engine are usign and how u are rendering ur particle. i use a 3d program and render it as a 2d animation.
and jus use an editor in the software.

Your signature has not been erased by a mod
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 13:45
uhhhh. i draw my 2d guys in MS paint with no particvles... then i code em into dbpro

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 16:50
I think the only effective way to do this would be to use plains in 3D, like a mock 2D engine - then you could make normal maps for your sprites to get cool lighting, plus there's lots of benefits like speed, and being able to use ghosting for better particle effects.

It is fairly easy to get a 2D screen in 3D, I'd use 1 3D unit = 1 pixel, then you can load in an image, sprite it and grab it's size, then make a plain for it and delete the sprite. It depends on what you need, but really the best looking 2D games are made in 3D these days.

We're going down... in a spiral to the ground...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-24 03:04:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-24 03:04:31