Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / The Making of DarkMORG: A Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 23:49
If your general notes are anything to go by then this should be a really good project, sounds like you are planning every detail - i like that
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 19:31
Dude This look great i hope it will get finish because i would hate it to go to waste like many great ideas.

I'm a noob help will be accepted
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 13:47 Edited at: 25th Mar 2008 17:06
Engine Design/Development: Text-based UI

When I initially started designing DMORG game, I desired the game to utilize a great deal of text vs images (icons, etc) to convey info. Many RPG's use Icons to represent available spells and items. I desired to simply use text.

However, I cannot deny the ease-of-use that a GUI provides, thus, I sought out a home-brewed solution to provide a simple Point n' Click GUI. Inspired by Clickable Text Links in a Web Browser, I started writing a GUI System based on a Text Markup using XML. I call it Active Text Markup (ATM).

ATM is very simple. It creates pointer event-driven clickfields, thats it. Place your text where you want, place a clickfield over the text, assign the clickfield a action. Thats it. Nothing fancy. Although, ATM is not one my prettier GUI Systems, it may be my smartest in design.

ATM will feature dynamic text boxes for input and also make use images & sound. I will also be including 3D support to integrate 3D objects into the UI. The great news is that I'm 80% complete with the system.

Active Text Markup Language Example

Currently working on the RealTime Gizmos suchs as inputboxes, textboxes, and meters.

PsuedoCode:

Zen Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Big project sounds ambitous and juicy hope it goes well i will be looking out for updates and will be getting any release material you put up! Keep us posted

Zen

"Face it, if crime didnt pay there would be very few criminals."
Laughton Lewis Burdock
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 03:18 Edited at: 10th Jun 2008 00:21
Engine Design: Modular and Procedural 3D Construction Part 2

Here are some concept drawings for the ModEL Modular Entity Layers for Character Construction. I'm a visual person, so expect to see more drawings of stuff.

Connecting Smaller Parts to assemble Larger Entities.

I've pondered for several days over a format that would be flexible enough to store assembly information for a ModEL. XML stands at top of my list. I'm currently storing component information in Database Tables,so I may omit a data format altogether in favor of selecting and assembling the components on the fly at run-time using DB Queries.

TBC...

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 17:10
Much better artist than I am.. Good stuff !!

Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 21:31
is that a bit extreme for a game like this? or is there some overall bigger picture that you need hundreds of diff models?

Paul
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 02:13 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 11:33
Quote: "is that a bit extreme for a game like this? or is there some overall bigger picture that you need hundreds of diff models?"

A majority of MMORPGs games use the modular design concept to some degree with character creation. I'm only expanding upon the concept for creation of all entities in the game. My goal is to create thousands of diff models from a smaller sets of interchangeable model parts.

Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 16:05
Cool, cant think of another word for it!
Sounds like a _lot_ of work but i'd love to see that (i guess your using limbs or something - something i have yet to play with as a newbie)
good luck

Paul
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 11:58 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 13:59
Game Design: Infectious Outbreak System

If you read the earlier post in this worklog (If Not, See Entry Posted: 17th Oct 2007 12:30) you would have come across the intial Background Story for DarkMORG which was based on the premise of a Zombie Outbreak (survival horror).

But, I found myself desiring more Traditional Fantasy MMORPG Elements. So, I have settled on a Traditional Fantasy-Themed RPG with a FPS Combat System.

I'm still including the 'Infectious Outbreak System' in the Game Engine as a means to spawn Monsters. So, Characters killed by Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves, Zombie, Fanatics, or any other 'Infected' will have their corpes transformed and reanimated by the AI. Hehe.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 14:45 Edited at: 1st May 2008 19:03
Engine Design: The Database

A Persistent Database is a crucial part of persistent online game, in my opinion and more specifically a Persistent Online SQL Database can be useful for any type of genre of game single or multiplayer.

With that said, I have decided to Database information for modular 3D Geometry construction. So instead of using a specialize format to define modular entities, I store this info into tables and assemble the entities within Engine using DB Queries.

Theoretically, this will ease the process of interchanging geometry/animation to assemble countless combinations of Entities and their animation. I will also apply a modular construction of music using layers of melodys and transitions to construct different songs during the game play.

Due to the fact most 3D Animation Tools export to some sort of 3D file format (ie: 3DS), I will have to create specialized tools to extract and insert animation data from such files into the database. This will require some effort, but, I believe it will be well worth it.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 13:12 Edited at: 4th May 2008 13:14
Engine Design: Upset at Simutronics

Ok, Simutronics has developed a really nice lookin MMO Engine called HeroEngine. They incorporated all the features I had plan and more. This has upset me dearly.

I didn't see much mentioned on FPS gameplay, so, I still may have a up on them. LOL.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 14:40 Edited at: 15th May 2008 04:26
Game Design: First Person Shooter -vs- Point n' Click Movement

For the past month, I've been sampling and reviewing several Free MMORPGs. A majority of the MMOs are Point n Click, very few FPS Style (which is what I'm aiming to develop.)

Although I'm not a fan of Point'n click movement, I've come realized a possible reason for its popularity, reduction in Network Lag. The simple fact is that amount of constant update required in a FPS will eventually suffer from lag resulting in jerky movement. I would expect this lag to be fatal to a FPS game with 1000's of simultaneous players. I suspect this lag occurs less often with a Point n Click because the reduced number of updates.

Soon after this realization, I had an inspiration for a hybrid movement system that combined point 'n click with FPS. A system that would resemble a non-linear Rail-Shooter. With this System of movement Players create Paths of Movement (Rails) via Point 'n Click from a FP perspective, then execute the move in which the player is autonomously propelled along the Rail. During this Movement the player has a limit control over the camera's range of rotation. Weapon(s) are mounted to the camera ala FPS style which can also be fired like weapons in a traditional FPS.

Perhaps this system of movement could introduce a tactical game play allowing the player to create more complex Rails and add Power-move triggers to perform somersaults and other cool FP visuals.

Concept Pre-Vis

This method of movement should not be difficult to implement. From a 2D Top Down perspective the Pointer X,Z is based on the Camera's orientation. Ray Casting Collision can be used to measure ground height with terrain and structures. Collision against the structures may be used to limit pointer movement. Condition checks against the distance and height can be used to control accessible areas. The player clicks the LMB to create a Waypoint at the location of collision.

There will be a minimum requirement of 3 Waypoints to create a path. The path can be straight or smoothed out with Splines. As the player gains XP, they can add more waypoints to create larger paths.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 10:02 Edited at: 14th May 2008 03:30
Level Design: Reflecting on Character Design

Character Customization and Appearance is an important aspect of RPG. IMO, I believe players enjoy looking at their character's gear and desire their character to look unique compared to other players which is why 3rd Person is very popular in RPGs. As this will be a First Person Shooter, the ability to look at your character is often little to none.

What I plan to do to offset this limitation is provide lots of reflective surfaces within the level design so that the players can view their character indirectly. With an ambundance of shiny surfaces (water, mirrors, marbled floors/walls, etc) throughout the level I hope players can enjoy admiring their characters at the same level they would in 3rd Person RPG.

In being a FPS with a Modular Weapon System, my priority is to provide high levels of customization and graphic detail to Weapons/Ammo considering weapons can take up nearly 1/4th of the screen space. Although this is my priority, I will try not to be stingy on apparel eye-candy.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 01:23
Engine Design: GIVE/TAKE Inventory System --> GIVE/TAKE Registry

Today, I have finalized this concept and commenced with implementation. The Basic Function behind GTR is performing a conditional check (GTRCompare) against two lists of variables w/ values to produce a TRUE or FALSE.

All Player Permission, Attributes, Skill, Weapon, Spells, Item, etc is registered in their GIVE Registry. All Interactive Game Objects contain a TAKE Registry, a list of variables w/ values that the player must possess in their GIVE Registry.

GTR is the core of all Game Logic: Collision Detection, Input Control, and other Conditional Checks. It supports a simple Roll Playing Game Mechanic: Success Rolls. Perform GTRCompare, if TRUE execute a LUCK Roll. If LUCK Roll = SUCCESS, execute Action!

This game mechanic can be implemented at the very smallest level of logic, influencing the behavior of skills, spells, weapon damage, monster ai, etc.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 08:23 Edited at: 28th May 2008 18:31
Engine/Game Design: Quest Building from the Trigger UP!

This week I've been pondering over ways to implement a Quest System in my MMORPG. I believe, that by breaking down a Quest to its smallest functional mechanism(s), I can create a very easy-to-use and flexible Quest Building System. So far, I've broken the Quest System down like so: Epic --> Story[s] --> Quest[s] --> Task[s] --> Trigger[s].

An Epic is a series of Stories that intertwine directly or indirectly. A Story is a series of interconnecting Quests. A Quest is a series of interconnecting Tasks. Task is two or more Timed or Untimed Triggers. A Trigger is a one more conditional checks that executes a function. Thus, I have settled on the Trigger being the smallest mechanism of a Quest.

In my Game Engine, Triggers are 3D Collision Game Objects that execute script(s) upon collision with players and other interactive game entities. Triggers can be placed statically in the Game World or attached to moving game entities. This Collision is the basis of Event-Driven 3D Interactivity in the Engine and modelled after my GUI Events System (IDLE, ENTER, HOVER, HOLD, EXIT, OUT) .

In addition to Collision, a Trigger can execute script(s) based on the result of a GTRCompare or it's Timer Timeout. So, how do we used triggers to create a task? Lets start with a simple task.

Task #1: Acquire Key From Dragon's Cave.

First, we place a Trigger at Location A, Elf's Town. This Trigger will run a script that will generate a Dialog Box to offer player the choice to accept this task. If the player accepts, the a Task Item 'AcquireDragonKey' to the Player's GTR. Otherwise the offer is cancelled.

Next, we place a Trigger at Location B, The Dragon's Cave. This Trigger will run a script to check the Player's GTR for the 'AcquireDragonKey'. If present, it changes the Player's GTR Item 'AcquireDragonKey' value to 1. If not present, it generates Dialog Alert or ignores the player.

Obviously, this is too easy. What's a Dragon Cave without a Dragon? Answer: Not very scary. So we place a Dragon in front of the Cave. The Dragon is equipped with Bezerker AI Behavior and Incendiary Weapons to attack incoming foes. We now have have a simple Task with purpose.

So in a nutshell, one could create an adventurous task by creating triggers separated by some distance and throw some monster spawners or traps between them. Trigger[s] --> Task[s] --> Quest[s] --> Story[s] --> Epic. PRESTO! We have a Flexible Quest Building System.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 09:22 Edited at: 29th May 2008 23:21
Engine Design: The Updater

At this very moment I'm drawing out the inner workings for a File Update System. I'm not really a big fan of lengthy downloads and level startup times. Its the nature of the beast with constant updates of new content and I expect constant updates with User-made content.

I also desire the updates to be player controlled and only download whats needed when needed during gameplay. This would result in smaller more frequent loading screens during game play. To minimize this, I plan to implement a 'Dummy' Replacement Class feature that will use media files already downloaded to the client as fill-ins.

If the user opts to skip the update, its queued for download upon termination.

User Selective Update (Pseudocode)

Pre-Game|Post-Game Automatic Update Patcher(Pseudocode)

Negrul1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 17:44
Your putting one heck of a lot of work into this! Wow!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 16:01
Wow you're planning out even the smallest detail with illustrations, texts and Pseudo-code... just awesome! My projects always end up unorganized, which hasa the consequence that I just do random stuff or mainly nothing ...

Maybe you could make some kind of FAQ or tutorial on planning the parts of a game (this thread already gives lots of ideas, but im lazy )

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 18:17 Edited at: 29th May 2008 18:28
Quote: "Maybe you could make some kind of FAQ or tutorial on planning the parts of a game (this thread already gives lots of ideas, but im lazy )"

1. Get Motivated
2. Write/Draw your Game's Idea and Features (Blog?, Forum Thread).
3. Break each Feature down into smaller Objects and Methods.

This is how I organize it.

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
This "sounds" cool..only cause it has no pictures it doesnt look cool yet!

keep up the good work!

What you know wont hurt you- except me
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 11:37 Edited at: 9th Jun 2008 11:51
Quote: "This "sounds" cool..only cause it has no pictures it doesnt look cool yet!"
You have obviously paid no attention to my elaborate illustrations

Anonymous User
Years of Service
User Offline
Think he means screen shots of the game.

???
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 14:32
Quote: "Think he means screen shots of the game."
I know. Just being a smarty-pants. LOL.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 00:20 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 02:52
Engine Design: Modular and Procedural 3D Construction Solidified --> Modular Entity Construction Sets (MECs)

Today, I have finalized this concept and commenced with implementation. Inspired by the many Toy Construction Sets I played with a child, I’m implementing Modular Construction Sets to support countless variations of High Level 3D Entities by mixing/matching smaller 3D Blocks that are assembled at runtime in the engine using Database Queries.

There is a specialized Modular Entity Construction System for the following Entities: Character (ModEL), Gun (GunVertor), Melee Weapons (swords, flails), Props (animated & static), Trees, Vehicles, and Building/Structures.

Modular Entity Construction Sets

MECs Toy Construction Set Methodology:

Block – 3D Mesh that contains one or more connectors
Connector – (aka Joint) in which a Blocks and Accessories are connected.
Accessory - Virtual Object used to control or produce a effect (ie Motors, Reactors, Lights, Camera, SoundFields, etc)

3D Meshes with Connectors are pre-generated in using 3rd party rendering software. Custom Editor Applications are provided to create and edit Connectors and Accesories. Entities are assembled from Blocks/Connectors/Accessories with 'gameplay' editors called Assemblers (ie: The Character Assembler).

The primary goal of using Modular Entity Construction Sets is to promote rapid production of user created content, placing emphasis on the creation of smaller Blocks that can be interchanged in various entities –vs- creation of larger single entities such as a single mesh Character.

Charlie
Years of Service
User Offline
First of all, let me tell you I am really amazed at the great effort you are putting into this proyect. I have met a lot of people who have their dreams and wish to acomplish them someday, and when they finally try, they just start with everything disorganized and bad-implemented, so they just end up failing or having no will to continue, and thus give up. But you are different, and I congratulate you specially for that. I admire your will and responsability to work on this great proyect, and how you are planing every thing with such a dedication many will just find it boring. This is admirable, and deserves and award, but I am sure you will get it by yourself after seeing this wonderful work finished.
Yes I know it is a difficult task to accomplsih, and you probably know this will be a serious sacrifice of time and "mental-sweat", but believe me, it is worth it, and you won't repent to have put so much effort on this. Again, that's what surprises most of you, and I know you will acheieve not only to finish it, but you will reach out an even bigger success that the one you expect. Let me tell you that games such as World of Warcraft or Mabinogi, very recognized MORG's (sorry for my mispelling), have begun like this, with a single a cheap idea, idea that after a lot of dedication and effort turned out to be a great and succesful videogame aclaimed by millions around the world. I am pretty sure that can happen to your videogame, just I rememeber you need two more things apart from programming skills and knowledge: imagination and faith. For the first one, I have noticed you got a very original idea, and that's what makes me think about this game as a future success, for you know people always like to try something innovative, and you are doing that; just hope you mantain a good imagination, and therefore be able to prepare things in a singular way so it proportionates the player a whole new experience and adventure. And finally faith, why?, many may ask for sure. Well the reason is very simple. If you just say you want something, but question your capacity and if you can do it, obviosly you won't be able to acheive any good, and then just blame others for not getting what you want. But having a strong confidence, having a strong faith and will, splashed with a burning passion, is the only thing necessary to defeat any obstacles and get what you desire. Remember that very well, and in case you somehow get to feel weak or want to give up, although I haven't seen that feeling in your progress, but well, just in case you feel that, don't give up, have faith, restart and continue. But for sure, one of the best things you can use to recover the faith is pray. I won't discusse religion now, we are game programmers, but that doesn't mean we can't pray to have faith and keep going with our proyects.

Well, I think that's all I wanted to say now, for I got a lot of homework to do (I am preparing to enter into high school). I have a lot of faith you will acheive and finish your proyect. Never give up, and keep up the good work. Just in case you need help, I don't know, but maybe I can get you some ideas. I recognize I am in four hands regarding use of databases or online interaction of servers, as well as in some sectors of programming, but at least I may be able to give some support to the proyect, I think.

And finally, one suggestion I just wanted to say, not claiming that your game is not far from perfect, is regarding the use of equipment. As you have seen, in most of the games of this kind the equipment of armature and shield just plays a minor role as a defense mechanism, but I am sure you could implement it another function. I don't know, maybe the character is able to take of a shoe and throw it as a weapon . Just kidding, but I think it could work in a nice way. Also, what about making three different main guilds, or classes:

-One for humans and the rebell races you may include: which get to survive from the zoombie attacks and fight against them.

-One for zoombies and their allies, so players can choose to be the antagonists and fight against ther good ones in a battle of fiery clashes of violence.

-One of neutral ones, the ones who either are able to help humans or zoombies, and they aren't even allies between them selves, thus regarding the creation of mini-guilds or sub-classes between them.

And for a last suggestion, please, I hope you don't put too much violent scenes, like decapitation or excessive blood like in anime gore. I know probably you won't do that, but in case you were thinking, I suggest you keep the rating level to at least 10+

Well, anyway, I say goodbye for now. It is a wonderful work you got there, and just keep up the efforts, and you will get an excelllent result. You have also inspired me, inspired me to finally start working on my big proyect, my very first high-quality high-adventure videogame. I will post it on summer vacations, when I get some time, and will signal all the details about it, in case you are curious. It will be like a mix of Zelda, Age of Empires and RPG's, basically based on my novel in progress. So well, see ya later

Carlos CW

Have a nice day
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 17:34
Thanks Carlos for the encouraging words.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 02:46
Editor Design: Visual DarkMORG

Drawing out the Editor GUIs using PowerPoint.

DarkMORG will contain several built-in Editors to support content creation for the game. There are two types of editors: Application and Game. Application Editors are used to ‘Create’ game content. Game Editors are used by DMs and Players during game play to modify their Characters, Weapons, Spells, Etc.

Application Editors: Constuct, Reactor, Lensflare, Animate, Dialog, Music, Interior, Exterior, RPG, and Epic

Game Editors: Epic Builder, Character Creator, Gun Assembler, Transport Assembler, Mana Crafter

Instead of creating one large do-it-all editor interface, I have elected to divide into smaller 'entity' focused editors.

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
@Techlord- i would buy this off u if u where selling it as an engine

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 07:36
flickenmaste

Unfortunately, I will not be selling the engine. However, the game will be completely free and is heavily moddable.

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
@TechLord- aww..consider a deal just with me

still..its cool u will make it free...even for all the work ur putting on it

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 20:36
wow this is so cool i cant wait till it's done, but why is it in the DBPRO Newcomers section?

"The Beginning is the end."
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 01:36
Quote: "wow this is so cool i cant wait till it's done, but why is it in the DBPRO Newcomers section?"
What better section is there?

Roses In Dreams
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 11:29
Epic --> Story[s] --> Quest[s] --> Task[s] --> Trigger[s]

I dont get this one. Are the triggers temporary variables or they will be monitored even after the quest has ended?
This looks like so many variables.

BTW, what are the computer requirements for this game?RAM?Shader?VideoRAM?

The gospels here are still too complicated for me.
Its looking good.
castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 21:40
Quote: "What better section is there?"

well i don't think that you are a newcomer are you? this bored is mainly just for newcomers to come and post questions and stuff i think it would be better if it was in the dark basic pro board, but that's just my opinion

"The Beginning is the end."
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 22:45 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 22:45
Quote: "Epic --> Story[s] --> Quest[s] --> Task[s] --> Trigger[s]

I dont get this one. Are the triggers temporary variables or they will be monitored even after the quest has ended?
This looks like so many variables."

I think the Triggers are some kind of zones/actions that the player needs to enter/do to complete a task. If he has finished all tasks of a quest he can go to the person he got the quest from and receive Exp.-points or Gold or whatever. And those Quests will form a (little?) Story, which is also part of an Epic (kinda bigger part of the whole storyline?)

Thats how i understand it... (was some month ago when i actually read TechLords post concerning this stuff)

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 02:38
Quote: "What better section is there?"

Game Design Theory. This is, after all, an exercise in pure game design theory.

Come see the WIP!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 13:16
Quote: "Game Design Theory. This is, after all, an exercise in pure game design theory."
I was actually thinking the WIP board.

Quote: "well i don't think that you are a newcomer are you? this bored is mainly just for newcomers to come and post questions and stuff i think it would be better if it was in the dark basic pro board, but that's just my opinion"

Don't let my join date of Dec 19th 2002 fool you, I didnt start actually using DB pro until October 2007 and just recently purchased the full version. New to DBPro not programming.

What I'm attempting to do here is share my ideas, code, and art as I develop this game. I don't expect others to necessarily agree , however, this is MY way of doing it. Hopefully, others will find something useful in my effort. This Worklog will serve as the Design Document.

best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
Reading all this helps me a lot.I thing this can become a tutorial,too.

books->movies->games
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 15:56 Edited at: 30th Jun 2008 16:01
Quote: "Reading all this helps me a lot.I thing this can become a tutorial,too."
Glad I can help.

Quote: "Epic --> Story[s] --> Quest[s] --> Task[s] --> Trigger[s]"

This represents the Epic Hierarchy. Two or more Triggers create a Task, two or more Tasks create a Quest, two or more Quest create a story, so on and so forth. Just a means of organization.

Quote: "Are the triggers temporary variables or they will be monitored even after the quest has ended?
This looks like so many variables."

Triggers are 3D Collision Game Objects that execute script(s) upon collision with players and other interactive game entities. The scripts they execute can modify the game object's variables. Triggers can be static or attached to moving objects, and exist temporarily or permanently in the game world.

Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 11:42
So, im interested, 32 persistant quest instances with 8 players in each one. Are these only going to be quest instances, or will some of them not be quests, but the safehaven levels?
sounds great

parrot
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 03:35 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 23:00
Quote: "32 persistant quest instances with 8 players in each one. Are these only going to be quest instances, or will some of them not be quests, but the safehaven levels?"
DarkMORG wasn't intended to be a Massive Multi-player game in the traditional sense, its more so a RPG System that let GM's create Quest in 3D. However, I keep getting request for MMO like features. My strategy is to provide a server for Quest, Tournaments, Towns, and Homes.

Each player account comes with a 'Home' (Private Area) in which players can store their accumlated loot and farm. The Home is accessible both DarkMORG Client (3d representation) and web 'Homepage'. I haven't decided on whether or not Home Upkeep is required, but, I may do so to add more incentive to the out-of-game experience. I'm also considering giving the Player's the option to show off their loot by making their homes a 'Open House' in which other players visit and tour via the Client.

Quest are player/GM created and allow for more detail and freedom in their construction. The goal is to get as close as possible to the creation of campaigns in Pen & Paper (PnP) RPGs. Like PnP RPGs, GM's have ultimate power in Quest, they create the Tasks, Monsters, Traps, and Rewards. They can also alter the Quest Instance in Real-time. The Quest Server will support upto 32 of these Quest running simultaneously each containing 8 Party Members simultaneously for a total 256 'party' players.

DarkMORG is a first person game (think: Multi-player Morrowind). Its being designed with a First Person Shooter (Firearm) Combat System in mind. Tournament Servers support the traditional FPS style gameplay modes like Capture-the-Flag, Deathmatch, and minigames that are based on similar gameplay mechanics. Like traditional FPS Servers these support upto 16 simultaneous players. Tournaments are provided to quinch the thirst (Blood-Thirst) of Players who desire PVP.

Town Server are the so-called Massive Multiplayer Servers that can support upto 1024+ simultaneous players realtime. On Town Servers players can socialize, sell/buy/trade gear, pick up quest, and enter tournaments. Like other game entities, GM's can add Towns to their Story and place task in the towns. These task are only visible to party players participating in a Quest.

Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Your up front organization is great, and will pay off with a great game in the end, if completed.

But I must swing the subject for just a hair of a moment. What reason are you going to give all this hard work away for free? Are you bored? Are you financially set in life? If not, then why not at least capitalize off the game even by selling it for something less than the cost of your average commercial game?

If you're financially set and just need a hobby, it's completely understandable. But if you're a working foe...this kind of act could be labeled as foolish.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2008 12:17 Edited at: 16th Jul 2008 13:56
Quote: "But I must swing the subject for just a hair of a moment. What reason are you going to give all this hard work away for free? Are you bored? Are you financially set in life? If not, then why not at least capitalize off the game even by selling it for something less than the cost of your average commercial game?

If you're financially set and just need a hobby, it's completely understandable. But if you're a working foe...this kind of act could be labeled as foolish."

Its true - I'm a fool. Who else in their right mind would attempt develop a MMORPG single-handedly. Yes, this is a Hobby and I'm no where near financially set. I have tried many times in the past to turn hobbies into profits, but, the hobby loses its luster (especially if you don't earn profits). I rather keep it a hobby and have fun with it. IMO, this is the only way for me to complete it. Once I have something playable, then maybe I'll consider turning out something commercial, but, until then, its only for fun and I intend to keep that way.

Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
TechLord,

Gotcha. Just thought I would raise the consciousness of the subject...just in case you hadn't thought of it. But, I see that you have. Good luck on the journey. Sincerely.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 04:29 Edited at: 29th Jul 2008 04:36
Engine Design: Daemon Networking

One of the features I really desire is the the ability for Players to control NPC Characters. I call this feature 'Daemon' Networking. The idea behind ‘Daemon’ Networking is to is seamlessly interchange Remote Human control over the network with Local AI Control using prediction techniques. The Daemon Network Model attempts to deal with network issues (latency, etc) by using them inside the game as an additional effect. This technique is also employed in the reverse to manner to allow players to posses control over NPC and Mobs.

Anonymous User
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 11:12 Edited at: 30th Jul 2008 11:14
Are you looking for a team for this games? If so I'm interested, I currently code in DBPro and have quite a lot of experience working with multiplayer code (Mutisync) and shaders (DarkShader). If you ever need a coder drop me an email.

???
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 18:07
Quote: "Are you looking for a team for this games? If so I'm interested, I currently code in DBPro and have quite a lot of experience working with multiplayer code (Mutisync) and shaders (DarkShader). If you ever need a coder drop me an email.
???"

A Sincere Thanks to you Anonymous User for the offer. At the moment I'm not looking for a team. However, I own DarkShader as well and would be glad to work with someone in learning how to use it. To be honest, I've barely taken a peek at DBPro's graphics commands. When the time comes I intend to dig deep into them and using shaders is high on the list.

For networking I'm currently using IanM's Matrix1Util 28 as it provides more control and supports both TCP and UDP. I've created a custom network lib to support http and my client/server network messaging. Nevertheless, at this very moment I'm implementing Dead Reckoning and have a foggy understanding of how it works. I would appreciate any advice from those who have a better understanding how to these techniques can be implmented with DBPro.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 13:24 Edited at: 4th Sep 2008 17:42
Game Design: DarkMORG Lore

If you read the Game Design: The Plot, Posted: 6th Dec 2007 00:57, you would think I was out of my mind. I was. However, since that time, I've settled on providing a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Lore that attempts to merge several RPG Settings. A Lore that evolves around Dimensional Rifts.

Dimensional Rifts (DRifters) are tears in the fabric of Space & Time. They appear in the form of illuminated mist-like vortices, varying in size and color. Their origin and reason for existence is unknown. They are unpredictable, appearing and disappearing when ever and where ever. Some act as doorways, transmutators, forcefields. The ultimate conquest is to learn their secrets and gain control over them.

Mana is the Pure Energy residue left behind when a DRifter extinguishes. Mana exists in 2 states that are equally opposite to one another. These two states can change into various forms of energy and matter which are the basis for Mana Elemental Sub-Classification Systems. The two states and their various forms are represented with one or more Pro/Anti associations defining Attack/Guard Strength Elemental Modifiers.

Examples:
Fire/Ice
Earth/Wind
Water/Lightning
Light/Darkness

Mana Crystals are material that can store and release Mana Energy. Although Crystals do a good job at containing mana, mana will leak resulting in the shifting of Energy/Matter acutely in their presence, producing illuminous emissions of Mana Elemental Energy. Thus, Red Crystals appear to emit flame and Blue Crystals appear to emit frost. The ability to store mana in large quantities for longer periods of time is dependent on the quality of the crystal.

Mana-Tech Is the science in using Mana Energy as a power-source for Devices and Machines.

The Mana-Dragon is the most common of Mana-Tech Devices. It can serve as both a weapon or utility. As weapon , a Mana-Dragon can unleash ammunitions of Mana Energy/Matter. As a utility, a Mana-Dragon can use mana energy to stimulate cell regeneration, or produce anti-gravity beams to move structures, and for many other Utility purposes.

Visit The Official DarkMORG - MMORPG FPS Server/Client WIP Thread
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 09:50 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2008 02:06
Engine/Game Design: Quest Building Part II

After some serious thinking and hours of Call of Duty 4 I've finalized my concept to Quest Building in DARKMORG. I've elected to approach Quest Building in a modular fashion by interconnecting a series FPS Tournament Maps, after all its an FPS. The ultimate idea behind this is to allow Players to Quickly build Quest from pre constructed maps like templates.

Each Map is assigned a Game Mode that defines a FPS style of game play in which a Individual or Teams complete an Goal. Upon completion of the Goal, a Reward|Penalty may be a awarded to individual|team Winners/Losers. Winner Individual|Teams are allowed to advance to the next map in the quest.

Note: that in a Team based Goal-based Game Play Mode it is required that all surviving team members arrive to Point B in order to complete and advance to next map.

Tournament Game Modes:
CTF: Carry Object(s) From Point A to Point B, Item can be Dropped (Timed|Untimed) (Reward|Penalty)
Rescue: Protect Object(s) From Destruction as it travels from Point A to Point B, Object movement is automated and the object can be Destroyed|Recovered (Timed|Untimed)(Reward|Penalty)
Race: (First|Last) (Individual|Team) to Travel Point B From Point A (Timed) (Reward|Penalty)
DeathMatch|Arena: (First|Last) (Individual|Team) to (Collect|Destroy) Object x n (Timed|Untimed) (Reward|Penalty)
Stealth: (First|Last) (Individual|Team) to from/to Point B From Point A WITHOUT Triggering Event (Timed/Untimed) (Reward|Penalty)
Hunt: (First|Last) (Individual|Team) to Trigger Event (Timed|Untimed) (Reward|Penalty)
Scavenger: CTF for Point(Timed|Untimed) (Reward|Penalty)
Pub: A Pub is a Non Combative Map in which players can gather to chat, buy stuff, join parties, and select/continue Quest, Enter Tournaments, and Play Mini-games, go home. Each Quest comes with one Pub by default, however, Quest Builders can add more if desired.

Although each Map can have completely different default content and purpose, Quest Builders can provide continuity with a story via dialog and comparable content between the maps. Each Game Mode can be modified allowing the Quest Builder to set Point Locations, Objects, Timer, Reward|Penality. Maps can also be modified allowing the Quest Builder to add/edit Spawners, Triggers, Platforms, Doors, Push/Pull Props, Warps and Dialog Menus.

Players can create Maps for use in Quest. Like FPS Creator Editor, Maps are constructed from Prefabricated Rooms. Rooms are constructed from MEC Constructs (See Entry Posted: 9th Jun 2008 16:20). Like all other content in the game, its modular from the ground up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 09:58:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 09:58:06