Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / what style of 2d games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 21:32
today, if you buy a 2d game, is there a common theme?
it seems that all the newer 2d games are becoming very cartoonish.
idk, just seems that way to me, what Y`ALL (you all) think

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Prosaic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 12:15
cartoonish?you mean gradients-flash-shines?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 14:18
I always had a soft spot for Metal Slug's graphical style, those kinda cartoonish yet nicely drawn sprites - I don't imagine drawing that style is easy, but I think it looks best out of the other styles.

I'm looking forward to Metal Slud and Contra 4 on the DS, both have a similar style that people still like these days - personally I think the really cartoonish games were a bit of a fad, but I suppose it depends a great deal on the type of game your making. I'd quite like to see a pixel art RPG for example, I think that would be pretty unique, I'd love to explore one of those cool pixel art posters .

We're going down... in a spiral to the ground...
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 15:29
A while back, I was watching my friends play a Metal Slug co-op game on the Wii. I have to say, it was fun just to watch all the way through: brilliant style; looked to be a great deal of fun to play.

Platformers are currently the thing, as that's what 2D is best for. Only other thing that comes to mind is racing, but then of course that transitioned to 3D ages ago, along with most everything else 2D does. (Oh, puzzle games are still in 2D, of course. And then you have games like, ahem, EBA, where the gameplay is essentially 2D, but they have some extra 3D tidbits.)

Basically, 2D is getting more cartoonish, as realism is left to all the high-end 3D stuff. There's no real way to compete, so 2D's gone in the opposite direction.

EBA; UI; Mario Land Ripoff.
Every time you post a joke in the form of code, mace yourself.
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 00:14
Cartoon style are there way of reminiscing retro 2d. How THAT works, I dont know.

Hi. I am sorry for being a random n00b. I got carried away and started posting to much. Then again I am a little kid.
This has been a public announcement by John- who wants a taco.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 00:47
i think mono coder is right. try and make a 2d version os gears of war that looks just as good as the 3d version.
just not going to work, unless you spend your whole life on it...

no, our game is an overhead shooter... with a circly spin.......
i was just wondering what kind of background is accecpted in 2d.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 12:17:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 12:17:58