Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Questions about Milkshape

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 13:26
I'm thinking about buying a 3d modeller...possibly milkshape.
Can you texture models in milkshape itself and then load them into dark basic or do you need to texture the models in lithunwrap or another program like that? I've tried loads of programs, but textures never seem to work when I load them in Dark Basic...
Is Milkshape easy to learn? I notice it seems to be the most popular choice with dark basic users...
Also, has anyone tried/got Doga L3? Thats very easy to use, but i'd just like to know what other people think...

Thanks
Robin
[ Download Map Maker 3D Now ]
http://www.thegameszone.tk
robin@thegameszone.tk
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 14:57
Try wings you won't regret your choice.

http://www.wings3d.org

Modeling Tip of the Week:Keep away from the infamous frog dissection pose!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 15:08 Edited at: 13th Jun 2003 15:09
If you're going to but Milkshape, then I'd suggest using Lith or Unwrap3D to make your texture maps.

In my opinion ... YES, it's very easy to learn. And if you get stuck then you can always pop over to the Milkshape forum and talk to people there.

actarus .... you're starting to plug Wings3D in practically every post you make that has anything slightly to do with 3D modeling !

You must have plugged it at least 50 times in tha last month alone ... So you like using Wings3D ( doesn't mean everyone else does though )

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 15:32 Edited at: 13th Jun 2003 15:37
@Simple:You obviously never got to try it and if you did you should know how superior it is to milkshape or maybe didn't you understand how it works,could be.

I intend to do this much more than only 50 times as long as Milkshape will have no more than ONE modeling tool .

If you want to get into the argument of which is a better modeler between MS3D and Wing3D,I don't mind because you've already lost for sure.

You know,I haven't either seen you recommend any other softwares than the ones you actually use yourself and probably that as soon as I will prove you wrong on that,you will deeply start flaming this thread.

Why don't you instead read Wings3D's feature and if you're not scared of ridicule,go on and ask on CGtalk.com or 3Dluvr.com which is best...LMAO!

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 16:55
I tried Wings, I didn't like it. I tried Milkshape, I liked it. I'm sticking with Milkshape, personally I don't know how anyone made anything like the stuff they show on the Wings Website with it. That's just my opinion.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:05
i love Wings3D ... and i love more how you don't like how it works you can just crack open the source in C++ - tinker and get it working how you want it (hows that for User Customisation hehee)

However Milkshape is alot simpler to get to grips with to start on, problem is you can learn everything there is to know within the afternoon about it and never need to learn anything more - but with Wings your always finding new things and its aimed far more towards box modelers ... kinda like if you like Wing3D you'll like 3DSMax too as they have similar modeling structures (athough personally i cheat in Max and use Splines for almost everything hehee, & i'm pretty sure no one else uses the techniques i do hehee)

another good free modeler is Sofitmage XSI EXP 3.0 - 120Mb download, but certainly the best 8hrs any 56ker will ever spend - but again it isn't exactly an obvious interface.

if you want i can show you a step-by-step of hwoto create something similar to thier site.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:20
QUOTE:
I tried Wings, I didn't like it. I tried Milkshape, I liked it.

Snap !! ... nuff said

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:52 Edited at: 13th Jun 2003 17:56
I agree Raven,Milkshape is easier to use.

To anyone who can't use Wings...Poor ya'.

BTW Why the hell would you use Max then Simple?

Isn't it a bit pricey just for making a few renders of a realtime character as ms3d seems to SOO much do it all?

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:57
Thanks for the replies
I know about wings 3d...but it doesn't work on my pc...but i'm getting a new graphics card soon so that might fix it...I'll wait until then and see how wings works.

Simple: Do you have to use an external program such as lith on unwrap3d to texture or do I also have the option of doing it in the program...i can never use those programs

Robin

[ Download Map Maker 3D Now ]
http://www.thegameszone.tk
robin@thegameszone.tk
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 19:03
Wings3d is writter in erlang not c++.
I found wings3d more intuative than milkshape. I didn't really get on with the way the buttons etc where layed out in milkshape. Wings3d is also free which is a big bonus for me.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 20:58
I just plain didn't understand milkshape very much, then my trial ran out so I can't use it any more and I don't want to spend money on something that I haven't got the hang of anf don't know if I would like if I did get the hang of <<gasps for breath!>>.

I like the way wings seems so solid and non-fiddly. I have a few questions about wings too, so if you wouldn't mind looking at my thread on the 3D board, the it would be much appreciated !

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 21:36
Wait till you see my wings3d model that I'll be posting shortly.

I can almost guareentee it will change the minds of some about wings.

(Current)-Conquest of the Continent Announced!!-
(progress)-concept/story/goals finished-
(misc.)Learning cinema 4d (as current as)6-12-03
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 21:45 Edited at: 19th Jun 2003 00:28
Wings3D rules it all...

I'm not surprised that so much people use it.

BTW:Is Milkshape platform independent? j/k I know it only runs on winblows

as for what simple uses its a very Eclectic mix really.

Milkshape -> Modeling
LithUnwrap (or Unwrap3D ) -> Skinning
CharacterFX -> Animating
Max4 (w/Brazil) -> Rendering Screenshots

You forgot;

-Photoshop AND Paint Shop Pro(you make the sum)
-Eye Candy(A 165$ plugin)
-Maxon C4DXL R8+Bodypaint(650$)

Modeling Tip of the Week:The more details you put on a model,the more you will learn from it!

If I've seen it all before,why's this bus taking me back again?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 23:28
Quote: "Milkshape platform independent"

v1.2.0 was ... hence the OpenGL only Render'r - but people bitched about the GUI and its speed so Mete recoded 1.3.0 in VC++ 6.0 w/MFC unfortunately he still hasn't added DirectX Rendering stupport

as for what simple uses its a very Eclectic mix really.

Milkshape -> Modeling
LithUnwrap (or Unwrap3D ) -> Skinning
CharacterFX -> Animating
Max4 (w/Brazil) -> Rendering Screenshots

not sure which he uses for Exporting to DirectX ... Milkshape has the best DirectX Exporter on the planet (big up to JAT ) but then i'm pretty sure CFX probably has to export directly from, as i don't think it supports external weighting formats.

though just using a $1,200 program for rendering (plus another $1,000 for the Renderer) does seem a little extravigant, especially when trueSpace 3.0 has been out and free for sometime which will load 3DS fine and has a better overall render'r
there are also plenty of third party, open source free Render'r ... and to be honest an even better way to show off his models would be using the MS3Docx as it has some beautiful detail ->
http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/zombie.htm
(don't visit yet i'll have it up in a sec, just battling with Lycos again lol)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 01:20
Robin read my thread called
"need some advice on choosing a 3d modeler"

there's some valuabele info. there

some other free(or cheap)modelers to consider are

anim8or-free
milkshape(of course)-$20
wings3d-free
truespace-(version 3.2 can be downloaded for free)

here are just a few that you may also want to consider.

(Current)-Conquest of the Continent Announced!!-
(progress)-concept/story/goals finished-
(misc.)Learning cinema 4d (as current as)6-12-03
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 01:26
Oki i've got the model up and the link works, just checked it - after i got Lycos to upload i'd found that i hadn't installed Dx9 lol so i quickly scrabled to install and i got busy watching the friends repeat ... blah blah lol

but it works now and its quite a good way to show off models, i belive i've asked Rich for support for this before ... wonder whatever happened to the DB Ocx someone produced, i mean they showed the OCX but not howto use it at all lol

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 19:59
Ahh! Raven, your avatar changed, that's going to be confusing .

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 20:28
yup... only a temp change

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
haXor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 19:06
lol, like every1 changed there avitar in the past week, it was really weird

Sup Kids
LoKiDeCaT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 07:17
I personally find Milkshape to be substandard.

But the next version might be better.

I would cite specifics, but I'm not going to waste my text.

In the end: To each their own. Hell, some people prefer Doga.

Loki D'Cat - Modeller, Composer, Animator
Nerdsoft Creations
Machine Specs: Athlon XP1800+, ATi Radeon 8500 64mb, 1GB RAM, Windows 2000 AdvSvr
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 07:54
My av is to celebrate the new Zim series hehee
anyone remember at the end of series 2 a new invader called Tak introduced... hehee we'll she's back again trying to kill Zim and destroy earth (^_^)

Quote: "I personally find Milkshape to be substandard"

Milkshape was designed as modeling program for Half-Life so that people didn't have to spent hundreds of dollars on 3D Studio Max just to create thier own models, quickly it got Quake standards as well due to demand ... although personally i used qME (Quake Model Editor) until Quake3 came along Milkshapes tools were and have been designed specifically with budget games in mind.

i've had the chance to try out Milkshape2, and now objects can have upto 4million polygons ... the entire render engine has been overhauled and there are alot of special extras to be expect to make it more upto the standard of Max.
But still its being developed by a one-man band so don't expect it to be as good as XSI or anything

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 11:48:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 11:48:53