Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Progress:.Aztec OpenSource modeler(supports .md3) now get MESHTOOLS YEAH!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 16:08
http://aztec.sourceforge.net/aztec.php

Check it out for yourself,you just won't believe it's FREE.
Modeling Tip of the Week:Keep away from the infamous frog dissection pose!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:05
Aztec stills going sweet

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:21
Actarus, Don't think you might be able to answer this but I tried the modeller under XP and it works fine. Running it under Win98, it crashes on the splash screen. I examined the LOGS for startup and it complains that it can't register class 24 (StdTranslators) Any ideas? I appreciate that this is really a question for them but just thought you might have had the same problem

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 18:31
Probably because it has XP Support Coded in but they've only done it on Resource Compiler rather than actually declaring an #ifndef
so actually means it'll only run on XP Machines.
Email about it and it should be fixxed

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 18:38 Edited at: 13th Jun 2003 19:09
You know something I'm wondering is,why everytime someone comes with a C++ or even 'assembly' question,suddenly all the 'big heads' surface with the rightest answer but still,after nearly 4 years around here,I've never seen anyone offer to code a DB/DBP compatible .X export plugin for the MANY open source modelers such as this one...and god knows how much I've seen modelers asking for it.

Probably too busy hacking softies and sending in DoS attacks.

And before any other comments...Yes,of course I thought of coding it myself..Thought of.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 18:55 Edited at: 13th Jun 2003 18:59
Raven, What I can't figure is that based on the change logs, this was written under the GNU compiler on Linux( or Unix) and ported to Win32 yet the Linux version isn't available, unless I'm missing the link or something. If the Linux ver is available, I'd rather use that under XWin. Certainly aint got XP on hand, plus I hate the OS anyway LOL.

EDIT: Actarus, I personally use AC3D for modelling but the only grudge I have is that it doesn't support model animation, like you see in Aztec or GMAX. I would like to use MAX but can't afford it. Would be nice to export .X or .3DS from GMAX but then we hit that UEUN problem (Forgive the acronym if wrong).

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 23:06
I'm not sure Apex i'm sure there is a reason for it, i never was deeply into the development of this (which is why i never bothered to keep up) but its been around since like '98 lol so good to see it still going.

as for coding DirectX Exporter for DB/DBP for all of the open source modelers would be a massive undertaking. You have to learn how each modeler handles and deals with animation, the native format, what information is passed where, the size differences (as people hate wrongly sized exporters)

i mean so far i've made 3 exporter/importers for Milkshape, 1 for Max and 1 for Softimage ... and each took me a good week just to learn what did what within the SDK's - and what data needed to be grabbed. Oki perhaps if i had an ounce of memory it would help cause i wouldnt have to checkout refference material each time - but it isn't as simple as say as just exporting face&vertex data.

Worst part is most handle bones TOTALLY different, so although you could export a static mesh quite easily - exporting it animated would be a whole extra bag of chips ... and you know if you make an exporter people would bitch if it were static only. (infact i know they do with even the big products)
also you have to setup the UI in a way that idiot proof, i mean just look at the amount of people who can't seem to grasp JAT's DirectX Exporter for MS3D ... its insane how many idiots want to create art.
The cheaper they are the more idiots it attracts too.
(arugment about max having the most, remember how many people actually pirate it )

as for Gmax, i'll try to find a site i have tucked away which has Gmax maxscripts (or you could get a semi decent C coder) as i remember someone made some export script with it - one i liked was the Quake2 one hehee was pretty ingenious lol

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 23:15 Edited at: 13th Jun 2003 23:16
-, i mean just look at the amount of people who can't seem to grasp JAT's DirectX Exporter for MS3D

LMAO!Too true,and then feel like big time scholars while explaining the long and hard process of checking a few places without even knowing why or what!

BTW:I didn't mean coding an exporter for every modeler...Any of them open source would do just fine.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 01:23
lol... there are 8 OpenSource modeling programs i can think of offhand for several OS's i'm sure there are ALOT more i don't even know of.

Producing a single exporter for a simple Modeling program is quite a task because of all the things i've mentioned lol

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 10:11
Raven,

Quote: "as for Gmax, i'll try to find a site i have tucked away which has Gmax maxscripts (or you could get a semi decent C coder) as i remember someone made some export script with it - one i liked was the Quake2 one hehee was pretty ingenious lol"

I was looking at some of the sites which hosted some Maxscripts for GMAX but I also kept reading entries stating that the exporting commands of the scripting language had been blocked on GMAX, just to prevent that very thing we're all looking for LOL.

I think it was MSFlightSim game pack that had an .X exporter for GMAX but I think it just exported static models without any animation data. At the end of the day, if lone developers like ourselves are going to take modelling and animating seriously, having the right tools like 3DMax, or any decent commercial modeller, is a must!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 20:06
well it still have an MD3 Exporter... and DBP can load MD3 (finally) so personally i don't see a problem

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 20:16
That's true, suppose it was a redundent statement LOL.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 07:20
http://dsmith.gmaxsupport.com/Maxscripts.htm
talk to that guy about export scripts

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 13:37:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 13:37:17