Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / lightwave stuff

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 21:01
I've had lightwave for a while now....and I really cant get the hang of it. I've done alot of the tutorials, but they really don't help. I need a master....(hehe that sounds funny.....but I mean...like apprentice ship......God now dont I sound starwarsy!! )heheh...thanks yall!!! scOOber
"Today is the tommorow we worried about yesterday"
WindTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 00:12
Message me on AIM some time

Live as if to die tomorrow...
Learn as if to live forever.
Scoober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 01:59
ok...i've added you but maybe its cuz your not online...or you got it set to where people cant talk to you unless they're on ur bud list....my S/N is goulascoober (oh and thx!!!!)

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 02:04
No Windtech! Once I was a learner, but now I am the master!

Scoober I'd be thrilled to help. If you every need anything just IM me. Best of luck!!

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
WindTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 02:07
NO! ;p
Mine mine mine!
Must train more in the art of lightwave!

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 02:18
Try as hard as you may! Your procedurals wont save you now!!!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 04:05
:: comes from the shadows :: why not follow me to the Softimage side... you can hear it calling your name

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 05:38
LOL!

**pulls out his LIGHTwaveSABER...back off bub!**

WindTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 10:39
Yes well using lightwave is like spending $1500 on an awesome product and feeling great about it afterwards.
On the other hand, using Softimage is like spending $4000 for a program that will take you way too long to learn how to do -anything- remotely interesting ;p

Jurgen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 14:08 Edited at: 14th Jun 2003 14:27
I have a question, a tutorial said that I should use " Stencil Drill tool

but I don't understand why it isn't working, if I click the (still grey) button, lightwave says: "need template in background layer"

I don't even know if I used the layers allright.... anyone knows a GOOD little tutorial where I can learn all this stuff?

"Only when all the seas are poisened, only when all the trees have been cut only when all the animals are killed, people will understand that money can't be eaten..."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 18:07
Quote: "using Softimage is like spending $4000 for a program that will take you way too long to learn how to do -anything- remotely interesting"

wooung Jeedi knows not the power and easy of the Softimage side
ho...ho...hoo

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
WindTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 12:18
Quote: " have a question, a tutorial said that I should use " Stencil Drill tool

but I don't understand why it isn't working, if I click the (still grey) button, lightwave says: "need template in background layer"

I don't even know if I used the layers allright.... anyone knows a GOOD little tutorial where I can learn all this stuff?
"

Message me on AIM or send me an email some time, or *shudder* brent if you feel like it *shudders again*
I'd be glad to help out with any questions you may have.

SimonDR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 15:52
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Best site for Lightwave tutorials.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 16:43 Edited at: 15th Jun 2003 16:44
Softimage just plainly KICKS ASSES...But you need to try it in order to demystify it's reputation.

Who said it's a hard program to learn?

It took me a few minutes to get started in modeling thanks to the NetView's basic help,a few hours after I had found new modeling techniques which helped me improve considerably.

Lightwave costs twice the price of trueSPace and it uses the SAME RENDERING SYSTEM...Only got a few more modeling tools.

Which is it's real strength but from what I heard,the latest trueSpace has some pretty good new modeling tools.

It's a matter of opinion and taste which isn't really discussable...Probably is also what stands in the way of good critiques around here...Like it or not.

Modeling Tip of the Week:Keep away from the infamous frog dissection pose!
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 17:45
Actarus:
Your right [b]) .

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 23:34
Act the modeling tools which make Lightwave better over tS is the per-poly tools ... but still neither really crack upto Softimage
:: hugs his XSI 3.0 CD ::

Man i really wanna see what is different in 3.5 -
for some reason since i reinstalled Windows XSI keeps saying "WindowsXSI is unable to start the License Application", and Avid have kinda turned around to me and said that only comes up on Win9x systems ... which is weird as i'm using XP. Do have ME as a dualboot option, can't remember howto get rid of dualboot OS's though.

Personally i sorly long for the day for Max's Polytools & Mesh Smoothing/Division to be as good as XSI or Maya's - i mean it really piss's me off when i smooth a selection of faces in Max and it doesn't spread the smooth evenly. Annoying when you make things like breasts of girlies, because they end up kinda deformed.
Only thing i realy like about Max at the mo is the Spline modeling which i'm now in the bad habit of using mostly. Been trying to relearn other techniques like Box modeling again - there are so many techniques though lol

Scoober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 07:55
hey theres something i cant get right on LW........when i extrude a polygon.....the polys are inside out. How do I inverse polys?

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 08:20
Select the polys and press 'f' F is for the F*CK in FU or just plain 'Flip'...and yes there's a button for that somewhere . Also check the box for 'Doubled Sided Polys' or something inside the Surface editor..makes sense doesnt it?

Cheers

Scoober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 08:25 Edited at: 16th Jun 2003 08:26
wow.......i might would have got mad at that....but im not going into flaming this forum with the things I'd like to say, and I don't see why you would want to say something like that to me or anyone on this forum. I don't see why you wouldn't just say something to me on AIM.......oh WAIT.....I HAVE YOU BLOCKED BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR AND CANT HELP PEOPLE WHEN THEY HAVE QUESTIONS.!!!!!

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 08:52
Awh . Don't take it personal Scoober. I have nothing against you. It's just your personality, I guess I should say, eats away at what little patience I have. I answered your question...giving you to ways to achieve the same result. Your most welcome, my helpless friend.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 16:58 Edited at: 16th Jun 2003 17:04
-it really piss's me off when i smooth a selection of faces in Max and it doesn't spread the smooth evenly

lol Tell me about it,Wings3D rocks for that,just select and hit 'S' and get a well ordered quadrupled face/multi-faces.

Like you say it eases the process of making breasts.

Other than that,well you can't pass over Softimage Xsi's great 'poly subdivision' tool and the many division shapes applyable(plus,diamond,X or triangle) sometimes even doing the job for you or leaving just a few edges to fiddle with in order to create the right topo.

For my part on splines,IMO they require too much discipline,although yes,Max's are easy to play with and get a good silhouette started.

Modeling Tip of the Week:The more details you put on a model,the more you will learn from it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 12:04:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 12:04:14