Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Gone - [PGPS Winter Contest Entry]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 15:43 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2007 15:45
new shots look great. I think the problem lots of people have is the fact that some of us are deving scarey games and Like myself often dev or test in the dark-as that's how it's meant to be played-. I see the screens fine but only in darkness. Lights add to much glare to the monitor, making screens like these look almost solid black.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 16:24
is this a horror game or a really dark action game? just to let u know horror is my specialty, but i might be able to help u out.

you need things like powerboxes with broken fuses, dead bodies and blood ( which you mentioned you had being made), and some red lights. i do undersstand u not wanting it to be a disco, though, good point.

ps my favorite website to get cool lookin things is
http://www.fps-files.com and you might find something good there too, unless you're making things yourself

pss where do you get Blender. because my game is done except for the cutscenes and i cant find a way to make them!!!

hope im helping

when the chicken crosses the road, he never comes back
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 23:31
@ Duplex:

Haha, yeah. And that part is supposed to be really gloomy!

Quote: "New shots look great. I think the problem lots of people have is the fact that some of us are deving scarey games and Like myself often dev or test in the dark-as that's how it's meant to be played-. I see the screens fine but only in darkness. Lights add to much glare to the monitor, making screens like these look almost solid black."

Thanks, glad you like them. Yes, I usually dev in the dark, but right now, all the lights are on and it's in the middle of the day, and I can still see them perfectly. And my brightness is down a good ways too!

Quote: "is this a horror game or a really dark action game? just to let u know horror is my specialty, but i might be able to help u out.

you need things like powerboxes with broken fuses, dead bodies and blood ( which you mentioned you had being made), and some red lights. i do undersstand u not wanting it to be a disco, though, good point.

ps my favorite website to get cool lookin things is
http://www.fps-files.com and you might find something good there too, unless you're making things yourself

pss where do you get Blender. because my game is done except for the cutscenes and i cant find a way to make them!!!

hope im helping

"

Yeah, this is a dark action game. I do have some pretty tasty power boxes, but I'm not going to over use them. I would be having dead bodies, but it's too late to purchase milkshape and start making them, so I decided I'll add that after the compo. As for blood, I'm debating with myself. I don't know if I should put the time in to create a custom blood decal for when you shoot the enemies, because that's pretty time consuming, but worth it. I just don't have that kinda' time. And yes, I'm gonna be bloodying up the environment. And again, yes, I got some red lights being put in very soon. And they look pretty tasty!

I actually prefer fps-free, and thanks for pointing out that site.

Just google "download blender". It'll show up.

Thank all of you for your input, more screenie tonight, I'm getting some excellent progress done!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 07:47 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 07:48
Here's an some early WIP shots of the office area. Custom cubicle things (with completely custom breakable glass! specular map and all!). The scifi screen things are being used as placeholders instead of monitors. I'm having a problem with my custom light sources and their shaders, so I'm just going to throw up these screenies. Tell me what you think.

Notice the specular on the glass, and the custom segment (not the ceiling, the drop ceiling is on the way, with a custom mesh too!). Also take note of the custom stapler and mouse entities.

Segment

Area

Custom Entities

More...

Glass Closeup

Again, the lighting and ceiling texture are messed.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 16:19 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 16:21
well, i got some cool stuff from FPSfree, but i've seen a lot more on fps-files. but i guess it all depends on your taste and what style you want for your game. you dont really have to make a new blood decal, you can just go to you FPScreator folder and go to files-gamecore-decals-blood and then go to the text part and it will say across, down, offsetty, and scale. i have mine set as across-2, down-2, offsetty-5, scale-15. because of all the small numbers it may seem like this would be very un-bloody, but it is even bloodier and actually MORE realistic than the default settings, so i just left it at that.

p.s. if the blood looks screwy after doing this, go back and set offsetty to 0 and it should work fine

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:20
Yeah, but I hate the stock blood decal. It's so freaking weird, like Kool Aid is shooting out. I'm probably not gonna make my own, actually.

Any comments on the screens?

Styloo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:23
Your screenshots look very good ! I like the dark

Just click to show the ShowCase
chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:58 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 19:52
awesome. i got blender, now i just need to find out how to use it

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 19:59
ugh, you didnt tell me blender was IMPOSIBLE to use. that might have helped a little bit.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 20:12
Haha! Blender is so freaking easy to use, it just takes a little getting used to! Look up some tutorials, you'll be fine in no time!

Thanks for your comments. Anybody else with crit?

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 22:10
on the second screenie of the post Posted: 21st Nov 2007 00:45
the curves pipes don't seam to completly touch the ground. I may be wrong though

Professional, afforable, what more could you want?
Get your FREE Standard Edition Today!
chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 02:15
first, i am no almost being not even close to coming near the point of being even smart COMPARED to a genius. but i dont need to use blender cus my dad is making an in-game cam for me too use. which i would and Do find easier to use.

CRIT: you need to add light entities to the lights in those screens, they are kinda outta no where.

it also doesn't seem like an office. 2 computers back to back in the middle of what looks like a file storage area. and you need to put a door in the back of that 2nd screen to seperate the room from the hallway.

i have bad grades in school. im tired. my girl keeps tugging my hair. im thirsty. i want a nap. my cat just scratched me. theres nothing good on tv. did i mention my girl keeps tuggin my hair?

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 02:38
Quote: "the curves pipes don't seam to completly touch the ground. I may be wrong though"

I'll check it out, though it may just be the light messing with your eyes.

Quote: "my dad is making an in-game cam for me too use."

What do you mean? Why don't you just download a screen recorder?

Quote: "CRIT: you need to add light entities to the lights in those screens, they are kinda outta no where."

Yeah, I was having problems with their shaders, so I decided to take them out of the screenshots at the moment.

Quote: "it also doesn't seem like an office. 2 computers back to back in the middle of what looks like a file storage area. and you need to put a door in the back of that 2nd screen to seperate the room from the hallway."

I agree with you there. Other parts of the map look more like an office, but I have very limited time, as the entry date is coming up, so my level design is somewhat botched.

Quote: "i have bad grades in school. im tired. my girl keeps tugging my hair. im thirsty. i want a nap. my cat just scratched me. theres nothing good on tv. did i mention my girl keeps tuggin my hair?"

Welcome to my life.

@ All:

I've had a very stressful couple of days, and nothing has gotten done, I have been swamped with work, and countless things have gone wrong. I hope I can get this second level polished as much as I want it to be by the entry date.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 22:40
screen recorder, in-game cam, they're the same in my 2-page vocabulary. plus i would rather have my dad make it so i can tell him exactly what i want.

glad i can help. it is looking cool with only little minor flaws.

sorry for your stress. here you go:

Achi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 10:34
Suggest u put lite fx on the pc screens in the office, or perhaps lightmap the scene, it would make it all the more realistic

I think ill take the blue pill
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 13:52
Inspire did you get my mail?

Its about the character.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 17:18 Edited at: 30th Nov 2007 17:20
Quote: "glad i can help. it is looking cool with only little minor flaws."

Thanks.

Quote: "sorry for your stress. here you go:"

Haha, on top of all the work and everything, I GET SICK TOO! I was so angry! I slept for 20 hours. All wasted time I could've used for Gone.

EDIT: I accidently hit post.

No, I did not receive the email Cheese Cake. I need the character to scale and working by tonight, or else he's not going in the game. Sorry to sound rude.

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 18:24 Edited at: 30th Nov 2007 18:25
I think the style needs to stay a little more consistant.

From grungy yellows with little light suddenly turning into clean and dull-ly lit areas. The newer screenies look a little bare - if it is supposed to be office than put stuff like: post it notes, a pen or 2, random pieces of paper with doodles on it and a [delete]mug of coffee on the desks.[/delete reason="just saw mug of coffee in screenshot"]

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 18:33
Look Inspire!!!
I tried my best okey!
If that isnt enough, than i dont know what is!

just joking with ya
Had to make a little soap...

Anyway, it is working on my FPSC...(the new one that is)
I already send it to you, but it should work on yours aswell.

best of luck man!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 19:40 Edited at: 30th Nov 2007 19:43
Got the email, can't test right now because I'm on my laptop. I'll get back to you as fast as possible. Quick question, what do you mean, the lower arms come out all nasty and spikey? Is it really noticeable?

Phew, you scared me with the beginning of your post...

Thanks alot man!

EDIT:

Oops, I didn't see foxking's post!

Quote: "I think the style needs to stay a little more consistant.

From grungy yellows with little light suddenly turning into clean and dull-ly lit areas. The newer screenies look a little bare - if it is supposed to be office than put stuff like: post it notes, a pen or 2, random pieces of paper with doodles on it and a [delete]mug of coffee on the desks.[/delete reason="just saw mug of coffee in screenshot"]"

I don't understand what you're saying, it's just a different color light, the game would be boring if every light was the same color.

Yeah, the newer screenies are very bare, I have pencils lying around now, and paper everywhere. I have the rest of the day to work on Gone before I submit it, so screenies will probably go up around five hours from now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 19:59
Well the lower arms...needs a bit more polygons...

When it stands the aiming position (pistol).
You can see, that the arms are getting very very very thin...

Maybe with your level lay-out (because of the dark lighting)
it wouldnt be that noticable...
And maybe with textures...that it would "blend" in..

I had a pretty dumb level (just the common ground)

Well anyway, hope it works!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 20:04
Oh, when you said nasty and spikey, I thought something crazy bad...

It should work with the dark lighting, no part of the game is to bright.

Thanks.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 23:36
you could add some REALLY small blue lights (as small as they can go) in front of the computers to make it look like it is an actual glowing computer screen.

uh, thats all i have for right now you need to post some new screens so i have new things to crit on. ive said about everything i can think of.

Question: how did you change the hand textures for the hands on the AK47? i have been trying to find out but i cant seem to find a way so now am asking.
p.s. sorry im asking so many off-topic questions. i just need to know that.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 23:40
Quote: "you could add some REALLY small blue lights (as small as they can go) in front of the computers to make it look like it is an actual glowing computer screen."

Good idea, I will do that immediately.

Uh...

Check your gamecore/guns/handresource folder. Copy the hands.jpg (.tga, or .dds, I forgot) into your guns folders, and replace the files in those folders. Make sure you COPY it, so you still have it afterwards.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 23:54
I have send you an mail...

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 00:00
Replied.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 02:36
uh, im stupid and will probably screw it up bt thats wut life is about. thanks for the tip and get in those screens ok. so i can HURT YOUR FEELINGS HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. i mean, give you some wonderfully friendly advice

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 20:49
Wow, FPSC is terrible when time is limited. It gave me the worst bugs EVER in the second level. The enemies don't even move (even though I assigned them a script, and it's in the scriptbank too), and all my chairs are through the floor. Ugh.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 21:17
yeah, you need time to use fpsc.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 23:22 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 00:19
Hey, Nice one Inspire.
Yeah I found some interesting things with fpsc that made me go a bit mad.

I was going to ask, in the last shots on page 1. There are some floor grates. I could never find a license for the floor grates at fpsfree, and could never get in contact with wizard of id.
In the end I made my own. If you made these or whatever, nice work.

Anyway. Have a good 1.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 02:05 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 02:05
Yeah, FPSC goes crazy when deadlines are near. Happens every time.

You have a good one too!

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 15:13 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 15:14
alright, forget blender im just making first person cutscenes ( like in Jericho and FEAR ) using windows media encorder. the perfect thing for dummies like me.

anyway this game is goin good and if you can tweek things just right thhis could go commercial (examples: ai, blood decals, etc.) if you want some better ai you can get sensai(sense ai, something like that ) from peanutbutterfingers.com i havent tried it yet, because i really dont need to, but iv herd it is good.

MORE RANDOMENESS!!!: how do you make your own blood decal?

nyway this is lookin good and you should give yourself a pat on the back.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 18:32
I don't really like Sensei. It's too buggy for me.

There's a file somewhere, I think it's in gamecore/decals/blood or something. Just edit that.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 21:05
uh, duh. thats what i was saying a page or 2 back and you said that the blood looked like Kool-aid. and i have already edited that, and it came out quitee nnicely, and bloody, and it doesnt look like Kool-aid. it makes it so about 2 or 3 inches come oout in a time. and it isnt a complete circle. so i know what yoou mean. anyway that screeen recorder works but my frame rate is too

slow to take a good video ao im gunna give blender a try.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,
Quote: "Yeah, FPSC goes crazy when deadlines are near. Happens every time.
"
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.
Wanted to ask what your plans are with gone?, and are you doing this as a team (inspire! media) or all solo?

Working on a new title now in progress.
chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 01:52 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 01:53
if you red the hole post you'd know this is being worked on by a team. and can you sow me a cuttscene? and i tried buti give p on bender. (i think i already said that )

EDIT: nope i didnt

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 01:52 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 01:57
It's looking pretty good Inspire, but the screens don't show a whole lot. The lighting is really dark which is good for the type of game GONE is, but still, doesn't show a whole lot. the first screens were just of lights and the rest was shrouded in complete black. And the other screens mostly show just walls and floors and in some of the screens, a few entities.

But generally, it's looking pretty good.

Keep it up.

PHOENIX, an up-coming game by Troy Chambers & DOOMED STUDIOS
chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 01:54
Troy Chambers: that was wierd you posted 5 sec. after i did again

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 02:57
Quote: "
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.
Wanted to ask what your plans are with gone?, and are you doing this as a team (inspire! media) or all solo?"

Yeah, we're working on it as a team. It's basically my game, with other team mates contributing to it, it's not really a project the whole group decided on, so I get to decide on it's future. As some may know, I have already created a level for Gone before the competition (the Enigma level), and now I have created two more levels. I'm going to throw in one more level, polish it up and make it flow better, and release it, instead of working on it and expanding it as was originally intended. I have plans for another game in DarkBasic, but I'll still mess with FPSC and come up with some cool things (I'm in the process of doing some pretty awesome right now).

Quote: "It's looking pretty good Inspire, but the screens don't show a whole lot. The lighting is really dark which is good for the type of game GONE is, but still, doesn't show a whole lot. the first screens were just of lights and the rest was shrouded in complete black. And the other screens mostly show just walls and floors and in some of the screens, a few entities.

But generally, it's looking pretty good.

Keep it up."

Thanks, you are totally right. It is kinda hard to get a good screenshot with a dark game such as this. I promise, the next game I make in FPSC (or X10) will be bright and will not rely on darkness, but I don't know if there will be one. I have plans for it if I ever decide to make it, though.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 04:44
Your welcome.

And I agree with you, good screenshots in a dark game can be hard to get, I'll probably have some troubles with that too when my game gets started.

And out of curiosity, how far are you with this game.

Looking good-Keep It Up.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 22:54
1st level is completely done, just need to update some characters.
2nd level is almost completely finished, have some garbage and scripting to add that didn't make it into the level.
3rd level is halfway done, I whipped up the level design around one hour before the contest submission deadline, so it's obviously not good. I have what I want in mind, though.
4th level is not even started. It's a motel, but I don't have any levels drawn out, and only a small amount of media ready for it.

That's all that's going in Gone.

I will be releasing all of the Gone media, all polished up sometime after that. I have alot of it already organized.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 23:04
Cool

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 23:05
Heh, I already started a thread for it, but then Apollo went crazy and didn't post, and I didn't feel like typing it all up again.

Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 01:20
You did well on your entry Inspire! Greta job.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 03:47
Thanks Woolfman! I'm surprised that I placed.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done inspire.

Working on a new title now in progress.
http://blazorx1.blackfade.com/erablaze.html - demo download
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 12:21
Congrats Inspire!

Dunno if I missed something, but will there be a download available?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=119286&b=25&p=0 - PROJECT THOR - FPSC Horror/Sci-Fi
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 13:14
testing posting

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 14:07
Well done in the contest Inspire!!
Quote: " I have plans for another game in DarkBasic (or X10)"

Same here. I might port DS or it's sequel over to X10, but nothings definate, and as for DarkBasic, ill have to learn off you

Anyway,
Well done again

CoZ

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 18:05
Quote: "Dunno if I missed something, but will there be a download available?"

Not of my entry, when I finish the game, there will be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 09:47:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 09:47:15