Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D models is .max or .x better?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. I have just started using DB and i am wanting to use a model that will run as fast as possible. Do .x models run quicker as they use direct X or am i ok sticking to a .max one?
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 15:27 Edited at: 16th Jun 2003 16:26
.Max isn't a model/object format.

It's the 3dStudio's proprietary format used to store ALL informations in a scene.

The only importable options in DB/DBP are material/texture/colors info,mesh,animations,vertex color or any informations relative to the model iteslf.

Your best bet is to export from Max using an .X exporter plugin or script.

Don't bother epxorting to .3ds also,it's just an unnecessary step which causes more troubles/bug(would I dare say features? ) to conform to therefore will cost you more time.

Modeling Tip of the Week:Keep away from the infamous frog dissection pose!
The Big Babou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 19:18
the panda directx exporter works good for me. and .3ds is really buggy, though it's discreets own format.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 19:31
Is it?

Modeling Tip of the Week:The more details you put on a model,the more you will learn from it!
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Having just completed writing a plug-in for .3ds files for JTEdit, right off I was surprized there was no support for skinned mesh models, only segmented frame-based. Plus, it seems that the old 3D Studio program didn't care about triangle winding order, because in a bunch of old .3ds files I had downloaded years ago, quite often there are backfacing triangles mixed in with forward facing. Either that, or they were the result of a buggy exporter. The format is so huge and convoluted, and since it doesn't appear to be a public format, there's a lot of experimenting needed to get anything to work. I haven't yet seen any editors other than 3D Studio and 3D Studio Max that seem to get the animation right. Many, like MilkShape and trueSpace don't even try, and ignore animation data completely, at least in the DarkMatter models. The DarkMatter viewer works with all the DarkMatter models I tried, so I assume DB does as well.

John Thompson
http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit
The Big Babou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 02:56
well the 3ds format was invented by Autodesk Ltd. for "The 3D Studio". so you think youre right, actarus? discreet, producing "3ds max"+str$(number#), is a subdivision of autodesk. so we are both right.
kroma
Years of Service
User Offline
Thankyou for your help! I did mean .3ds instead of .max Silly me. Thanks again, that has helped. :0)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:42:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:42:41