Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Seeking perfection, futile!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 22:17
Recently, I've noticed that more and more members are posting their models simply for the request of critical opinions and possible suggestions, which invariably end up in a futile and pointless debate. Now I'm not having a moan or anything but the impression I get from the postings is purely for instigating such riots. It's fare enough that people will voice their opinions on other members models, and additionally, these opinions are positive ones, but I feel that this situation will get worse to the point where members are posting images of models which are frankly... Crap.

All I'm saying is, don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire by persisting on generating forum entries purely for the posting of images that will instigate an imature and embarrising conclusion.

Happy modelling
"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 22:21
Yeah, I posted my model.(wasn't too great, compared to others), but now I know not to post it.Although I have learned and gained some knowledge about modeling.

As for me, I do enjoy seeing all the models being posted.

Quote: "All I'm saying is, don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire by persisting on generating forum entries purely for the posting of images that will instigate an imature and embarrising conclusion.
"

Agreed

http://www.geocities.com/yellow1dbp/index.html?1055727308477
Includes a fully functional forums pag(soon).Let me know if you want your site to have a link on my page.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 22:31
Basically, I agree that it is a good venture for people to obtain other opinions and suggestions for improving model designs, but if the model looks bad, even from an ametuer's point of view, it's pointless in posting it. People will turn round and argue that they're totally useless at modelling and end up demoralising the poor sod, but at the end of the day, from what I've seen, it's just a pathetic way of trying to obtain godhood. My point is, never try to rise above your(in general) station, there's always a bigger fish in the pond LOL

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 23:08
Here's my opinions on this...

If you wish to show off work then your welcome to, but note that if you do post it up then you have as good as given a green light for critiqué.
And also remember there are varying levels of people here.

Now for me, if i feel a model is not worth commenting on i won't ... often this means my comments are kept for only the better developed work around here (but not always).
This isn't to say that everyone will respect the fact that you are not even close to thier level to comment upon your work as if you were ... It would probably be good to note though, that if you decide to make yourself appear bigger than you really are then immediately you will gain my attention and not for a good reason.

So if you've only been modeling for around a week or so it would be a good idea to keep a low profile rather than make out your the best thing since sliced bread - this will go down well within the forum, however you will loose alot of respect from the more experienced amongst us.

And don't be surprised if you post a model of a cube and get a few flames, because alot of people don't understand the tact that should be taken because alot of people who produce work like that are actually pretty proud of it.

I gained a reputation around RGT about my harsh form of critising work, however if your around much you'll notice i only really give help to those i feel who need it and whenever i comment i will always point out something which could be fixxed as well as a way to actually achieve it. So if you can put up with my absolute lack of tact when commenting you'll see you can learn some quite good tips.

Don't forget alot of jeleasy also shows its head around the art area, i'm unsure to why - but if you create something good then it will be completely stripped by a few individuals, alot of users have no sense of mutual respect. The whole arena isn't exact something perfectly friendly so just be careful if you do post.

But i'd hate to see people not posting as we're finally starting to see people posting work here and getting the 3D Forum going which i'm happy to see - this is probably the busiest i've seen it since i joined in August

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 23:50
Those are fare points Raven and the idea that providing a place for people to advertise new models, is an important part of the development cycle. It is a sad fact that we will see from time to time, members of the forums who will try to stun us with science and baffle us with bullshit, I admit, I may have exceeded myself on occasion to bring the proverbable spot light towards my direction, but I know not when to cross the line. My attempts at modelling, in my eyes are pretty good for what I require, but I don't need to demonstrate those models purely for some halfwit to take the piss! I don't need the stress, others don't need the stress, so why do these people insist on trying to impress when if they had an ounce of dignity, would keep it bagged.

Until these folk have obtained the maturity and experience required for dealing with the broad range of critique that will be voiced on their posted efforts, they will come under fire from all directions, this fact does upset me a little because you would have thought that everybody should just get along if they're all interested in the same thing, but instead, it's biased and aggressive!

If people are going to post their entries and only expect ass licking from the ground up, they're truly mistaken and are best kept at an arms's length, I've seen enough of this kind of attitude down my local when it comes to playing pool, they just don't know when to quit.

Paul.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 01:42
Who is holding a gun to peoples heads and forcing them to comment?

Everyone and their dog comments on models posted here, when someone critisizes a model, the next model they post will have the same critique put on it. Unfortunately a lot of people don't post their models, so perhaps they should retain their personnal viewpoints on braver members models.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 17:09
I only post something on a model if it constuctive, and I give advice on how to fix the problem (despite the fact I a novice). I did post one thing a while back, but I haven't had the time to real sit down and work on some models.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 17:41
Its allways interesting to hear others to coment your work and see what they like and what not.
I dont agree that environment around these forums is unfriendly, but of course its always risky to bring your skin at the market, especialy if you price yourself and your work higher than it realy is. Than you can feel hurted bye others response...but that would be your problem not their...

And its interesting to see models of other people coze you can learn a lot from it, even if you leave no coments.

What would be the sense of forum like this?

And bye the way, there is no competition runing on here, its forum for people who model more or less for fun, so why not post your model...it dont have to be perfect...
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 19:58
I enjoy looking at other peoples models and commenting on them. I think that it's good when people to post up their models, so long as they are expecting criticism. I mean, if you have only just started modelling then you should know that your models aren't going to be anywhere near perfect, and if they don't like too much criticism should say so in their posts and ask for people to not be too offensive and give useful advice.

I think getting advice from others is better than sitting at home doing modelling by yourself, you learn more and develop a better technique, but I agree, it can turn out ugly if the modellers over estimate their abilities.

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 12:10:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 12:10:28