Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / WinGui for DarkGDK is coming...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 01:09
Just a little announcement here, but WinGui (A plugin for dark basic pro) is going to be ready for DarkGDK first. As a side note, it's not *just* for DarkGDK, it's for C++ in general. To make myself even more clear, you don't need DarkGDK to use the C++ version of WinGui. However, I will add DarkGDK specific features to WinGui. Such as controlling menus properly with the DarkGDK window and such.

WinGui is built as part of the Twilight Engine, but due to it's initial release it is being kept free. All WinGui commands are prefixed with "tw". The following is a list of WinGui commands that currently exist. To find a demo, go to the WIP -> Free Windows GUI DLL thread.

Cheers,

-naota

Madness never stops..... It takes a breather every once in a while, but then it grabs it's inhaler and chases you down the street with a cane.
Aex.Uni forums
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 02:38
Yay! Looking forward to it!

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 03:11
Ok, this is good. I really needed a gui library.

WC Physics - PhysX wrapper for Dark GDK.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 04:33
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 07:34
I just switched from Dbpro, and I was looking for something like this nice.

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
wow , yesterday i was thinking of asking if WinGui will be ported to GDK.
Great news.
I need for my editors.
Cheers
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great! Keep up the good work.

I have vague plans for World Domination
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 22:24
Thanks all. I'm 3 gadgets away from completing 0.9 version of WinGui, which happens to be the next release.

For the 1.0 release, I plan:

Rebar controls
IP Address controls
Syntax Highlighter controls (Custom made!)
Ability to load and use resources, such as images, icons, cursors, etc.

Cheers,

-naota

Madness never stops..... It takes a breather every once in a while, but then it grabs it's inhaler and chases you down the street with a cane.
Aex.Uni forums
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:49
0.9 Release for WinGui. C++

Download, extract, extract again, and enjoy.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:57
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 00:05
I'm going to do some light revising to it, and make it OOP as well. That's not to say you'll have to use OOP, but it'll make programming easier if you know how. In this next revision you'll also be able to continue using it as you are now.

Cheers,

-naota

With any luck you'll be able to turn a fully functioning program to a crashing program with just a little bit of coding.
Aex.Uni forums
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 00:32 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 00:34
Quote: "and make it OOP as well"

Finally. Sorry for ranting, don't want to disgrace somebody's hard work, but it's really unsuitable to use GUI without classes. Looking forward to see well designed GUI library!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 01:53
Aaron - I was wondering if you could make a Hello World - darkGDK sample just to see the order in which you fire stuff up - and make your hooks work. I see the Init Lib call in the header list - but a Little demo with a couple controls on it... with a rotating cube on the screen or Something - would be nice. I don't want to start using the lib until I have a working "something" to build off of to understand it more clearly.

If you can - great - if not - no worries

Comp Guru 910
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont mean to start this again, but where do I post those files, and how do I tell it to load it?

And, im with Jason on this one, can you show us how you load it all up?

typos...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 21:26
Sorry guys, I thought I showed an example here, but I guess I didn't.

Here ya go:

As for the files, that's all pretty trivial C++ stuff. Put the header file (wingui.h) in the Include directory, and place the library file (WinGui.lib) in the Lib directory. Note: WinGui hasn't been optimised for x64 based applications, as I don't have a 64-bit computer to build and test from, but as most computers are 32-bit it shouldn't matter.

Cheers,

-naota

With any luck you'll be able to turn a fully functioning program to a crashing program with just a little bit of coding.
Aex.Uni forums
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 22:27
I hope I'm not being a pill - but how would you make that work in DarkGDK? It has its own "WinMain"... Would you just make mainWnd = the handle DarkGDK is using?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 23:21

Read the "note" in the above code. The above should work, modify as necessary.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, this could be what I'm looking for... but then again it might not be at all. Before I try to port my code into it or port it into my code... I just need to know one thing...

So can I run my GDK animation code in the WinGUI instead of in a console AND also have a text box for interactive text input as part of the same window?

What is needed is a "widget" that is a complete console that handles itself... so I can just drag it onto a WinGUI and run all my animation code in it. I keep feeling like I'm trying to re-invent the wheel all the time hardcoding the whole interface from scratch.

m0ng00se
Comp Guru 910
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe what m0ng00se is saying if I understand what he is saying. I have put my GDK/VB.Net engine on hold until I can afford to buy the .NET version so that I can build my item/level creator with GDK as opposed to importing all the settings and things I modify through ini files. So, if I could make an interface where I have my controls on the right hand side of the screen, and an imagebox taking up most the screen, where I can load 3d objects, and rotate and zoom and what not, that would be ideal. Something like this

typos...

Attachments

m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Well yes that is the general idea (I had a look at the image you uploaded) and I started out wanting buttons and stuff because I thought it would be simple. Even VC++ 1.0 beta could build a window GUI with buttons and widgets so I sort of thought by version 9.0 plus GDK it would be simple as anything... but I was wrong. GDK do lovely animation SDK and MS does nice GUI SDK but they don't mix at all well despite what the MS Developers download site for VC++ 2008 implies. They're like two different planets.

So I gave up a fancy interface completely with widgets and buttons but I have to have text. It's fundamental to the game. I've uploaded a diagram of what I'm trying to build as a user interface.

Do I make a GDK console program and try to include text or do I build a WinApp program and try to imbed the dark GDK console in it? I haven't even solved that fundamental question yet.

Have a look at my diagram and you'll all understand what I mean. It's a very basic interface really. I can't believe it's so complicated to actually do.

-m0ng00se

Attachments

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 23:29
@m0ng00se
Yes, you can do that with WinGui (If I understand what you mean). Anyhow, I'm uploading some demos of the latest version's development. There's one in there called "Win32 Console", is that something you're looking for?

@everyone
I've uploaded some demos.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums

Attachments

m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, okay I had a play with those demos but what have they got to do with GDK? I can already do all that with pure VC++ or even easier still with C# and just drag widgets from the toolbox like with VB. The winAPI has hooks for any winGUI stuff.

I'm interested in how to pull all the GDK stuff into the WinGUI. I want a console animation screen inside my GUI. In fact what I need is a console widget that looks after itself. That would be perfect.

It can't be that hard. I must be missing something somewhere. After all you can do it with Flash or any animated gif or avatar so why can't I just imbed my whole GDK console app as a widget or something?

Take VB for example or C#. You can drag a button or form onto a window in the IDE. Then you can select the button widget and write code for it. Remember MS ACCESS and CBF (Code behind Forms)? You select an object then write code for it. Well life would be so simple if I could just have a console window widget and write my whole GDK animation stuff for that window. The WHOLE GAME! All nice and tidy and self contained but in a big console, not a little avatar size. Then everything else is just my user interface and straight MS WinAPI stuff. Just drag the console widget and position it however I like and whatever size I like.

After all that's what MS promised us OOP programming would be like way back in 1995. The MS promise was that they'd give us a drag and drop user interface builder so programmers only needed to worry about the code logic and not the interface.

Maybe I should just give up and port everything into C# including the GDK stuff. That's something I haven't tried yet.

Thanks Aaron, I might be missing something here so I'll go play with your stuff some more and see what I can make it do.

-m0ng00se
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Noooo, I'm definitely missing something here. I just remembered something. MS and Borland (back when they were at war) used to have Easter Eggs in their products all the time that brought up fully fledged animations and even mini games inside console windows imbedded in an ordinary Win App like MS Word and those Easter Eggs accessed Direct X and everything else a fully fledged game does. So it can be done and has been done for years.

I'm missing an important bit of information here.

-m0ng00se
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 01:04
@m0ng00se - I saw a few .Net GDK apps with just what you describe (probably why you mentioned it) Also, I would think that the DirectX GUI controls are availble to use, and I would think that a windowed DarkGDK App (not full screen) would probably be something that could be manipulated with HWnd pointer** etc.

What is working against you somewhat is that TGC made DarkGDK own the WinMain function - so we could hook into it - but not own it - this guarantees they control drictx housekeeping and keeps people from making it into a dll I think.

m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jason... exactly!

Quote: "
What is working against you somewhat is that TGC made DarkGDK own the WinMain function - so we could hook into it - but not own it
"

This is the main problem I have. Everybody wants to "own" the app. I wished they'd all learn to share.

See I have to build a MS project then try to port GDK stuff into it (and as tou said the main loop is the big problem) or build a GDK project then try to accesss all the WinAPI stuff.

Hence my problem with clashing libraries and linker errors as mentioned in other threads. Both MS and GDK want "control" of the project and want only their libraries as default. Plus they both want control of the main window.

In an ideal world I could simply create a MS "Forms Application" project with the wizard, then go to my widget toolbox in the IDE and drag a console widget onto my form, then write the entire game code for that widget. all nice and clean. After all MS has every other widget in the toolbox of the form designer.

Never mind I'm getting there. I feel a breakthrough coming.

If you want to check out what I'm actually building then visit my website at
[href]http://www.freewebs.com/m0ng00se/
[/href]

-m0ng00se
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 04:27
Whoa Cool By the way - there is a "Landscape Creator...advanced terrain) Demo - I think its a DarkGDK C++ & .Net GUI mix - two apps - Interprocess Communication - works out to basically a .net'ish "GUI" Hanging in front of (like a skin kinda) or old VB5 where everything was floating... and maybe mutex or ip - they got the gui talking to the main program. I know they did it this way cuz there is two bninaries and I ran the "DB/DarkGDK looking icon - it just hung, but when you run the lighter gui.. they both come up...

Killer models at your site <evil grin>

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 00:03
Quote: "Hmmm, okay I had a play with those demos but what have they got to do with GDK?"

They are intended to show the features, progress, and portability of WinGui. It works fine with DarkGdk, as you don't need the WinMain. Of course that should be obvious considering if you look at any of the code, you don't see anything from the WinMain function actually being used, and hence you can use your own main entry point (Which is what those "own" functions are called).

Quote: "I can already do all that with pure VC++ or even easier still with C# and just drag widgets from the toolbox like with VB. The winAPI has hooks for any winGUI stuff."

That's great. Then use those.

Quote: "I'm interested in how to pull all the GDK stuff into the WinGUI. I want a console animation screen inside my GUI. In fact what I need is a console widget that looks after itself. That would be perfect."

In the world of the Windows API, the "console" is a black box which can be allocated or freed by the application (Each application can only have one), and can be used to display text for debugging information. For an example of what I mean, open up the command prompt.

Quote: "It can't be that hard. I must be missing something somewhere. After all you can do it with Flash or any animated gif or avatar so why can't I just imbed my whole GDK console app as a widget or something?"

Perhaps I'm missing what your point. You want to embed one gadget (The Dark GDK window) onto another gadget (For example, a WinGui window). If that's the case, it can't be that hard to do, can it? Some pseudo code:

Course the above code is for 0.9.5, and the demos above are intended to show progress.

Quote: "Take VB for example or C#. You can drag a button or form onto a window in the IDE. Then you can select the button widget and write code for it. Remember MS ACCESS and CBF (Code behind Forms)? You select an object then write code for it. Well life would be so simple if I could just have a console window widget and write my whole GDK animation stuff for that window. The WHOLE GAME!"

Use callbacks, and write in the main loop. It's not difficult, and it's not an inconvenience, nor is your method in the slightest way an advantage to your end program.

Quote: "After all that's what MS promised us OOP programming would be like way back in 1995. The MS promise was that they'd give us a drag and drop user interface builder so programmers only needed to worry about the code logic and not the interface."

And I said:
Quote: "I'm going to do some light revising to it, and make it OOP as well."

Quote: "Noooo, I'm definitely missing something here. I just remembered something. MS and Borland (back when they were at war) used to have Easter Eggs in their products all the time that brought up fully fledged animations and even mini games inside console windows imbedded in an ordinary Win App like MS Word and those Easter Eggs accessed Direct X and everything else a fully fledged game does. So it can be done and has been done for years."

How else would we use Direct3D if it wasn't embedded in a window? I'm sorry but your posts are confusing me. What is it EXACTLY that you want to do? Because these are the definitions I'm coming up with:

Quote: "This is the main problem I have. Everybody wants to "own" the app. I wished they'd all learn to share."

WinMain is shown so the end-user doesn't have to use DarkGDK to be able to use WinGui. WinMain means NOTHING for WinGui it self. It's the main entry point you have to use when you're compiling a "real" GUI application. If you want to use WinGui with DarkGDK, use the DarkGDK main. WinGui will still work fine.

Quote: "See I have to build a MS project then try to port GDK stuff into it (and as tou said the main loop is the big problem) or build a GDK project then try to accesss all the WinAPI stuff."

You have to do the 2nd option. WinGui makes GUI programming simpler, without having to use MFC, or whatever else. I hate MFC because it tries to take over what I have to use, what I can include, and make my program it's b****. WinGui is intended to be able to be far more portable than MFC. I haven't tested it lately, but WinGui should also work on a wide range of compilers (Provided I recompile out to the proper static library), such as MSVC++, MingW, Digital Mars (Must rebuild static library to test), and Open Watcom (All of which can be tested from within Code::Blocks, which allows all those compilers to be used).

Quote: "In an ideal world I could simply create a MS "Forms Application" project with the wizard, then go to my widget toolbox in the IDE and drag a console widget onto my form, then write the entire game code for that widget. all nice and clean. After all MS has every other widget in the toolbox of the form designer."

You can, I guess this is an ideal world then.

Now, the above comments sound mean (After reading them), but I assure you that's not their intent. I'm trying to explain things as best, and simply as possible, while still trying to understand your point.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
Slow Target
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe that WinGui is simialar to Crazy Eddies GUI and WXWidgets.

http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.wxwidgets.org/

At work, my team uses GameSWF to implement GUI's (after evaluating several cross-platform GUI tools).

http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/gameswf.html

It still baffles me that setting up a basic gui is so easy on the .net side and so hard on the console side. I can only conclude that Microsoft spends their money where they want us to go (DotNET)
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 20:34
Hi Arron ... I'm really interested in this library but having tried it with MSVC++ 2008 express it keeps raising linker errors to do with libcp.lib. Has your library been compiled and linked using single threaded run time libs and as such is not compatable with Multi threaded runtime linking or am I missing something here?

All I'm trying to do is run your example:

It compiles fine but produces the following error when building it:

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libcp.lib'

I'm sure the dependency is not coming from the DarkGDK libraries.

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 20:50
Well, you're missing a file (libcp.lib). I used MSVC++ 2003 btw.
Ensure that the file exists. I remember setting it to multi-threaded but that might be with the version I'm working on now

Cheers,

-naota

My email actually IS "nocannedmeat@gmail.com". Why? I don't know.
Aex.Uni forums
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 21:08
Thanks for the prompt reply Arron. Unfortunately, I've already tried that ... thats why I investigated a little further and found that it was a single threaded library. If I include the libcp.lib in my library path then I get hundreds of linker errors all referring to unresolved external symbols. libcpmt seems to be the version 9 multi-threaded version of the same library as far as I can tell.

2008 Express does not come with the libcp library, but I did find it in the VC98\Lib under Visual Studio and also in the Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib directory

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 02:32
So were your problems fixed?

Aex.Uni forums
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 11:22
Unfortunately not .. but I'm a lot closer. By the way, I'm assuming your library is a release build!

I copied the two libcp and libc library files, both of which it seems to require, to the project directory and it gave the following linker errors:

Setting /NODEFAULTLIB:libc.lib makes no difference

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 11:51
Has anyone else out there got this working with DGDK and MSVC++ 2008 Express?

I'm currently writing my own GUI manager as, although I'd like to be able to use the Windows GUI objects, I don't want my interfaces to be constrained by that unifying Windows look and feel. I'm really at the early stages but currently have moveable windows up and running and am part way through implementing the button class. I'm hoping to make all of these optionally take images with full transparency support to produce a really customisable look to the interface. These are not true Windows of course, so they just run inside the DGDK window and sit on top of the 3D display but for gaming purposes that's really all I require.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 14:22
Aaron Miller,

Is there any chance of removing the dependency for the said library?

This would save me a lot of work if I could get this working, and I would appreciate it a great deal indeed.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 03:10
@pixel perfect
I'll rebuild the library in MSVC++ 2008 when I get home (Before I do, I'll be checking all the dependencies and such - I build using Code::Blocks 8.02 now - You can use Code::Blocks with DarkGDK btw, with proper setup).

@monotonic
Yes, I'll try my best to remove the dependency (Basically just changing compilers if I'm correct in my assumption of the libraries dependency).

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 03:31 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 05:06
You are not going to be able to lose the dependency for InitCommonControls unless you eliminate the common controls from your GUI. The library is comctl32.lib

The others are specific to the library implementation...are you using DevC++? MS strings don't have those members.

Sounds like you want some conditional compilation in there. (ifdefs, etc.)
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 10:16
Quote: "I'll rebuild the library in MSVC++ 2008 when I get home "

Thanks Arron. I suspect that is probably all thats requiried but we will see.

Quote: "I build using Code::Blocks 8.02 now - You can use Code::Blocks with DarkGDK btw, with proper setup"

Not at all sure what you mean by that but I'll look it up!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 13:23
Aaron, you have no idea how useful this would be to me. Trying to make a piece of software and I'm already getting bored because I have to make my own GUI system which is taking up half the time. I would be so greatful if you got this working with DGDK

Don't you just hate that Zotoaster guy?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
WinGui looks very interesting.

I look forward to a working release witn Ms C++ 2008 express as right now, examples don't compile.

keep up teh good work
nodapro
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
...TGC made DarkGDK own the WinMain function...
"

What is the technique behand this?

I tried a very simple VC++ program that has the WinMain that calls a function; e.g., myMainLoop. Then what I did is like this:

1. Compile the file with WinMain to create a lib.
2. Complie myMainLoop and link it with the above lib.

But because I am not using WinMain in Step 2, the WinMain cannot be linked into my exe. The link/run error says there is no EntryPoint. How can I make VC++ 2008 Express to link all the functions (including WinMain) in a lib to my exe, just like it is an obj file?

Note that DarkGDK only links with its lib files, not obj files.

Thanks.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 03:42
@jinzai
I'm aware. I wasn't speaking of the common controls dependency. To get rid of that error link in common controls. You can do this with the following code:

@Zotoaster
Thanks. I did recompile it but haven't had time to test it. Thus I didn't bring it with me over here.

Thanks all.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 04:48 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2008 10:35
I was referring to the posts just above mine, and trying to get your GUI compiling on MSVC.

#pragma is a great tool for the library issue, and using ifdef to include vendor specific headers, and in the code will solve the second half of the issue.

I don't know if you have MSVC++, so I was interjecting a little of that part of it.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing...if you can, try to avoid using any functions with a leading underscore because you again create a dependency based on the compiler and its libraries when you use those. Try in general to stick to the standard C++ library, and it will go alot more smoothly.

Cheers.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 21:36
@jinzai
I see. Functions with underscores in front of them (Such as "_msize") are part of the Windows standard library and should only cause dependencies of the normal library.

I'll just build onto my AUCOS RTL and use that where I find the need.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 21:57 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2008 21:57
Not necessarily. Underscores are a compiler's way of indicating that functions are extensions to their standard library. While what you say is true in the case of Windows' functions, as are MS extensions to the standard C library, that is not true for C++. That is what I mean with respect to the string library. You appear to be using a string class that Microsoft compilers don't have.

I would think that creating a third library dependency is not as good as using the standard C++ string class, but I must be missing something. Sorry.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 00:08
@jinzai
I find now would be a good time to note that you guys will need my Core Library as it contains a new "string" library with Unicode support.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 00:10
Do you have a release date for this?

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 04:24
UNICODE support will be a great add...worth the extra hassle. Great idea.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 22:07
@monotonic
I learned release dates cause more trouble than good, therefor I'm sorry to say I do not.

@jinzai
Thanks.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 10:16
Quote: "I learned release dates cause more trouble than good, therefor I'm sorry to say I do not."

True, anyhoo looking forward to it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:31:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:31:49