Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Stupid flat .3ds files...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 22:31
I know this is a common subject in this forum, but this is really annoying. I finally converted all my Anim8or files to .obj, and they have UV data with them, and they are smooth. Now I want to convert them to .3ds or .x for my game. If I do it with Anim8or or Lith then they go to flat shaded models. I can do the merge point command in Anim8or with a small radius, and it makes them look smooth again, but then if I export them again they just get flat again!!! Does anyone have any suggested .obj to .3ds converters?
Xander
Bolt of Bolt Software Productions
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 13:53
Try 3D exploration...that converts most files:
http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm

Robin

[ Download Map Maker 3D Now ]
http://www.thegameszone.tk
robin@thegameszone.tk
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 22:17 Edited at: 25th Jun 2003 22:19
Do you have $250 I can borrow I don't see a demo or anything. I used 3DWin to convert my .obj files to .3ds files and the smoothing turned out alright, but the textures were a little twisted. I could import the texture data back onto them with Lith, but then they would just get flatshaded again if I exported them with Lith!! Does Unwrap3D have this problem? Will it export .3ds files smooth shaded? If so, I will buy it, or Milkshape if that works. I would consider buying a tool for less than $30 if it fixed my problem, and was also usefull. Any suggestions? (I bet Simple wants me to buy Unwrap 3D x-d )

Actually I just found a demo for it, but they want my phone number. I don't think so...

Xander
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
When the objects go flat in 3DS, they go smooth again when you convert them to .X with the DB Converter.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 19:22
Really? Cool. Thanks. x-d

Xander
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 21:11
QUOTE:
(I bet Simple wants me to buy Unwrap 3D x-d )

Why would I ?? I get nothing for sales of Unwrap3D ..... so I don't really give a shit if you buy it or not.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2003 02:18
Sorry Simple. Didn't know that. Will Unwrap 3D convert smooth shaded .obj files to smooth shaded .3ds files, without messing up my textures? I tried the DB Converter, but it didn't work. Converting my .obj files with any other converter to .3ds always either leaves them flat shaded or messes up the textures. If the textures get messed up, I found out that it is because some new faces are created by whatever program converts them from existing vertices. I noticed that in Anim8or, there is an option in the debug menu called "split textures 3DS points". If it is selected, then it exports my model flat shaded. If it is not selected, then it messes up my textures as previously explained.
I would appreciate it if someone who owns Unwrap3D or Milkshape if they would convert one of my .obj format models to a smooth shaded .3ds file. Just one. That would prove to me that the program is capable of doing it, so I can find out before I buy the program. I am kind of tight with my money right now because I want to buy Dark Basic Pro also. Thanks.

Xander
JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2003 11:25
Hi Bolt
I asked the author of Ultimate Unwrap much the same
questions see below the reply:-

"Unwrap3D does not
import/export smoothing groups since it doesn't support it.

But, if you don't want a 3DS file from unwelding as it stands, you should delete
all the groups, so there is only 1 group. Having more than one group will
break apart vertices.

Also, there must be one UV coordinate per vertex, therefore vertices may be
unwelded if they have more than one UV coordinate."

JimB

JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2003 11:43
BTW
Ultimate Unwrap is the best and the easiest to use
unwrapper I have seen,and is well worth the money
lack of smoothing groups should'nt put people off.

JimB

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 07:41
Thanks, but I found a way to fix it.

Export smooth shaded, textured files from Lith, but as .obj files. They will be smooth shaded. Now import those files into Wings3D and then export them from Wings as .3ds files. It works!!

I love Wings3D! (Not that I use it for modeling...Just converting)

Xander

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 13:22:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 13:22:00