Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Is there a way to blend walk cycles in DBPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a walk cycle(frames 1-40) and a run cycle (frames 41-70) for a biped character using bones from max. I exported them to an x file and they work in DBPro.

The question is how do I have them blend from one cycle to the other instead of jumping to the other animation?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 04:22
DBP is automatically Interpoled Animation so really they will only jump if you let them ...

the best way to stop is to always store the last frame used, then when you detect the change to walking/running - rather than just flicking to

play animation player,runstart,runend

you'd do

if run=1 then play animation player,lastframe,runstart
if lastframe=runstart then play animation player,runstart,runend

and it should automatically interpol, and if you want to make sure the animation doesn't seem dodgy just put in an if like

if run=1
if lastframe=walkend
play animation player,walkend,runstart
else
if lastframe=runstart then play animation player,runstart,runend
endif
endif

well you get the idea

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 04:53
I've had problems with this too. I've had other problems with limbs moving when they shouldnt after appending animations, but I think that was a problem with 3D Canvas not saving all the key data.

The thing is though, there are many occasions when you need to jump from say frame 20 to frame 40 without playing the frames inbetween, but you still need a smooth transition. You can use set object frame or whatever, but I remember having lots of problems with it and not being able to get it to interpolate between frames that were seperated like that.

Hopefully that was me missing something and is not another db problem.

Machine: P4 2200, 1GB RAM, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum
http://www.breakbeat-terrorism.co.uk
(It's not all about the coding)
House
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven, yeh that would work (thats how I do flash animations) but since this is an action game the reaction needs to be instant but still smooth.

Is there any way to average the mesh/bone weights of 2 frames? Cause then I could make a function to smooth the animation.

I think anyone familiar with character studio, motion builder, or humanIK(my tool of choice) would know what I'm talkin about.

Please share any ideas.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 06:24
well there is a way, but its a bit complex and you'd probably be best taking your own route to learn it...
a good place to start would be at http://www.nmisoftware.com/darkedit/home.html as it has some source on how Memblock manipulation works, although the DBP ones work slightly different the same techqniues should apply

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2003 16:35
You could animate it.

I mean, you have a walk cycle, and a run cycle - why not stick a transition animation in there. I assume your cycles are for 2 steps each, well why not make an animation between the last walk frame and the first run frame, in 2 steps of course. It's the same with standing still, you would'nt just stand still then go straight to a walk, you'd make a transition animation.

Then forget about loop and play animation, make your own animation code that relates to the player speed. It's no biggie to check the frame and the character state (idle/walking/running) and loop it back to the right start point.

You'd be better off making an end transition too, like from running back to walking back to idle. It is a lot of extra animating, but it'd be worth it for perfectly smooth animation.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:06:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:06:51