Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Shader question, Can any one help please?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2003 20:24
Hi all, im trying to develop a game that is doom 3 standard (don't laugh cos it is possible ). The only thing is, i really suck at creating shaders so can someone please help? Im trying to create a per pixel lighting shader for dbpro. I got this code from somewhere and i was wondering if anyone could help make this code work in db pro. Can anyone help please

here's the vertex shader:

and heres the pixel shader:

cheers
Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2003 22:33
the shaders are only half of the solution you require to translate something... i could do it - but it'd take time, and alot of it that i don't have.
but from the looks of it your trying to do PPxL so i dunno, been checking over how DBP utilises Shaders and it is certainly odd to say the least.

what surprises me is that not more people are sorting these out... ho hum lol
well gimme a day or two to sort out my model work for Randi first

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2003 23:01 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2003 23:01
i got some fx files if they'd be of any use.

this is the area lighting fx

this is the diffuse+specular fx:

and this another fx file:

cheers

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 08:37
yeah they're far more useful

you remember when i was being told that HLSL didn't use Assembly Shaders ... hehee, well i can quite clearly see some ASM in thos
try not to expect miricles because these will take time to translate, and for some reason my DBP is acting up as it doesn't recognise Globals in functions, it doesnt' really play anything in functions ... it is weird to say the least, gotta contact Lee about it i think.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 19:25 Edited at: 24th Jun 2003 19:25
Thanks Raven

Yere, global vars wont work in functions for me either, it returns weird numbers so i end up using loads of arrays.

like your signiture by the way

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 10:10
@Inferno

"Im trying to create a per pixel lighting shader for dbpro. I got this code from somewhere and i was wondering if anyone could help make this code work in db pro."

Don't bother. DBPro can't accomplish per-pixel lighting(in real-time) yet. The DX 8.1 pixel shader set lacks the necessary functions/instruction count to facilitate per-pixel lighting. That's why only recent games like Doom 3 are using it(because of the necessary instructions/instruction count available in DirectX 9 compatiable hardware).

This will all change, however, come upgrade 5 with the inclusion of DirectX 9 and its accompaning hlsl shader capabilities(hopefully).

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 18:59
How can Doom3 run on the xbox then? I thought the xbox only had dx8.1 or something and it seems to work alright.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 20:43
Doom3 is C++ OpenGL using CgFX ... remember the XBox is almost exclusive nVidia technology and the GeForce love OpenGL so does Windows2000 which is the base Kernel

MIsfit410
Years of Service
User Offline
"How can Doom3 run on the xbox then?"

we havent actually SEEN it running on Xbox yet..
they just showed the PC version at the XBOX booth and said, "its coming to Xbox".. I do expect there to be a pretty big visual difference.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 11:49:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 11:49:21