Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / modeling problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi- I just started doing modeling I'm actually happy with though I am a total beginner. I bought TrueSpace 5.2 a year ago and have not accomplished much, but I found HexaGreat 3d and it is really very user-friendly for a 2d artist like myself.

Anyways, my problem: I am modeling characters (heads, bodies) and when I get to certain parts of the bodies that extend outward (shafts of hair or arms/fingers)the model does not appear solid when I load it in TS. It's like a hollow shell when you rotate it- you can see the arms/fingers at one angle, but then you see inside of them when you rotate it. (kinda like a transparent hollow easter bunny)

I'm sure this has something to do with leaving faces inside the arms/fingers at the joints and that these faces are not supposed to be there, but how do you make limbs and stuff without this occurring?

thanks

Alan
arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 13:51
I dont know but this can be wery common mistake: normals of some faces can be turned inside. Normaly face is one sided means that from one side you see it and from oposite side not, depend on normal orientation.
In most modeling progs. you have to keep order of placin wertexes when making face counter clokvise.

Normaly it should be possible to fix it with selecting "infested" face and applying command like turn or flip normal...
New Creature
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, in TS you can flip the normals which does turn it inside out but certain limbs or appendages are still transparent when you rotate them.

I tried something new last night. I made the legs out of 5-sided shapes (pentagons?) instead of cube-shapes and they turned out alright. Is there something about modeling that you're not supposed to use 4-sided shapes for limbs/extruding parts?

But thanks for the tip, maybe I am only supposed to flip the normals of certain parts. I'll see.

Alan

arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 12:58
Normaly there is no reason why 4-sided shapes would not work, problem should be somewhere else...
New Creature
Years of Service
User Offline
What about hidden faces inside the object? Somehow I think I may be connecting too many lines cuz I looked at some models and it seems they don't have faces on the inside... then again, some do... RRRGGGHHH

I guess I'll figure it out someday. Thanks again

Alan

New Creature
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi- me again.

Sorry I don't know how to post a web link yet- so can I email someone a .dxf version of a model to see if they can straighten me out on why my models are still partly transparent?

I made a really cool pair of hands (cool being relative cuz I'm a baby modeler) using the pentagon-shapes and it is all transparent at the wrong angles. And that was after I thought it must be because I was using cubical shapes for my limbs. Y-O-Y?

I see an email option above this win-der (country talk for window yall) but I don't know if it lets you send DXF attachments on here or not.

Thanks for any help
Alan

arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 19:21
You can send it to me but I will not garant you that I will have time to look at it (soon I am going for hollydays and I still have lot of work to finish before...)

There is my e-mail adress under my posts where you can send it...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 13:20:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 13:20:36