Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / How to make REAL TIME SHADOWS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
cound anyone help me with the REAL TIME SHADOWS?
obese
Years of Service
User Offline
you can always do the easy but speed expensive method of Yscaling a copy of the object to practically zero and coloring it black and placing it on the ground.
if you mean the realtime shadows feature on DBPro, im not sure because i havent bought it yet, and the demo is too buggy to run programs >1 time w/o restarting my computer inbetween each run, sorry, i cant help you there, or if you want to cast the shadow against nonflat terrain or objects. why the hell did i post here anyways?

*\OBESE/*
Drakportalen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 22:28
I dont know either. But...
Check the demo Road terrain they have bitmmap shadows. Look at the source code and you will find it its not that hard to do.

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/download_view.php?downloadid=4&p=0&catid=

www.drakportalen.dot.nu
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 03:23
depends what kinda of shadows you are looking for... dbpro has a stencil buffer if i'm not mistaken, if i were you then i'd check out that (full version no doubt have better information on it) - because i've done some stencil shadow work in DirectX its not quick but does do a nice effect

however you also have simple blend shadows
mesh shadows ... so really depends on what you want to produce and are willing to program!

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 04:44
I don't find any documentation on real-time shadows in the full version. Yet I knew it exists, or should. DBS claims to support it...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Krash
Years of Service
User Offline
well, it seems like the command SET SHADOW SHADING ON should work on video cards that support it, but not my voodoo 4... try it on yours?

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an arm...
Cpt Caveman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 06:22
Dont worry about the Set shadow shading on command, with my geforce 4 and 3 objects(one being a detailed character also with a cube and sphere on screen) dropped the FPS down to almost nothing. Also the shadows flicker and its just an unpleasent experience. I was hoping it was fixed in patch 2 but its still horrible.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 06:48
this is kinda a point i've been meaning to make, if i develop something in DirectX as a function for use with DarkBasic do you think if i emailed it to Lee or someone or even posted it here - if it'll be considered to be put in. Its just without knowing some internal call of DBpro its hard to be able to make the function interact as a DLL - and for full compatibility really should be coded in by the DBS

just wondering because i've got a good stencil shadow function which works at 35fps on my 800Mhz/GF2 Mx 200 with about 50,000 polygons - probably would have similar results with everyone elses systems

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 12:07
I think a set of user-written plug in's would be great.. if you have a nice fast stencil shader .dll that you're willing to share, the DBP community would benefit greatly I know I'd use it. Played about with the default shadow stuff, amusing but slow, and did the y-scale thing.. ended up not having shadows, too processor intensive when you get a few enemies on screen.. but your .dll sounds like it may do the trick.. have you tried it with multiple objects over 1 complex object ? Maybe you could post up performance stats - Raven's DLL verses DBP.. but yeah, email Lee/Rick etc. try and get it setup. I'm sure other people are coming with similar stuff too.

Cheers
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 18:54
3rd party DLLs don't have access to any interfaces from the DBPro engine. You can't get object information or add features to the render queue.

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 00:33
that was my point Chip
i have a great stencil buffer and it can use any graphics card ... (however alot faster on chips designed for it - like GeForce )
but without knowing the render setup, the object calls, and such there really isn't any way to add a DLL properly.
I mean I have an AA one which does, but as that edits the Backbuffer rather than the current scene information directly well it is much easier

i do have some nice tech demos for Dx that i'd be willing to share but all depends on if they'll be looked at or just put to the side ... i guess i've got a few week wait to find out my answers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 09:40:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 09:40:04