Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Amazing looking levels! Reflections! Shadows! Lighting! Interactive scenery!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 12:55
Hey Jasonio,

I can honestly say that seeing the E3 videos of HL2, as someone working on an FPS, were terrifying. Then, we thought about it and got a bit of perspective and realised that we should be ok.
Though it might sound like a bit of a cop out - I'm working on a console FPS - a significantly different beast. There are things (like with texture memory, fog and controller presicion etc) that we just can't do. However, when we looked at what it was possible to do on the PS2 (our console of development, currently) we found that technologically we measured up quite well, and certainly better than any other PS2 offering I can think of. And that was rather encouraging, actually.
Which means, of course, that I have no excuses If it's not great, I can't 'blame' code, or art - it's me, the other level designer and the leads. No pressure, eh?

Raven,

I arrived at the project far later than anyone - company or myself - would have liked. Also, while I've worked as a Level Designer for about a year and a half, due to my last place getting VERY mixed up, I have not yet had a released game. (And you know how important that is in the industry.)
I would love you have come onto the project to work with some really experienced Level Designers, early on and been there when some of the big descisions were being made - to watch how they did it and learn. However, I am the MOST EXPERIENCED level designer here I try not to think about it too much, but these are very big shoes I'm trying to fill. And the lead is a very busy man (aren't they all?).
Sorry if it sounds like I'm whinging - I'm not. I'm just saying that I don't have the confidence in my own work to throw my weight around yet. But I'm doing what I can.

PS - I had an interview with Big Blue Box - didn't get it (probably just as well), about two years ago - were you there?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 13:19
i was there July 01' - Jan 02'
i got a far far better deal for a US company, didn't even wanna work at BlueBox - was just there to sort them out cause Lionhead (who i actually applied for) weren't sure about me, so probably wasn't.

lead/senior guys are always pretty busy, gotta oversee everyone elses work ... make sure everything syncs well ... make sure the artists are working on what is needed ... make sure they all understand the tools they're using (even if you don't which is the worst) ... most of the time you end up doing the biggest tasks, suchas the worlds which require so much thought and design to make them believable but still fun.

currently to my name i have 4 major titles baring my name, plus also have 4 minor/budget titles on the Playstation & PC which i've worked on. include with that 7-8years ago i was working as a freelance CGi artist creating most of the movies seen in alot of budget games

although not actually being in the industry itself all that long, the experience i've gained over the years has just be invaluable - you'll find its easier to cope with being a lead artist with one of the other artists helping you out.
Generally i'd have one of the texture artists to work on just my work and they'd then help me out organising things ... kinda like a personal assitant. just helps to organise how you work better, as teamwork is essential in this business.

good comminication between all of the guys is quality, inexperience is always overlooked when you all start working on the same wavelength - makes alot of things you do alot simpler.

pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 15:43
Aaah... You see there, i darent really tell yous alls abouts me other ideas for this type of thing...

Guess ill just have to try n find the time to get something together working well n show you lot, eh?

Otherwise ill have no way to prove it was my idea in the first place i suppose...

Oh, n thats all true about HL2 by the way. I have NO doubt at all that it`ll blow everything away upon release. Personally i cant wait and think that Valve will deserve all the praise that they truly deserve...

pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 15:43
Not exactly sure what that last bit meant but i been on night shift so you`ll have to forgive me... LOL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 11:59:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 11:59:04