Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / V105 Released - Missing Standalone Executable Buttons

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 18:12 Edited at: 9th Feb 2008 18:14
Hi Guys,

Find V105 from your auto update panel. This will fix the missing buttons problem some of you have been experiencing. It will only solve it for when you create NEW projects in the BUILD GAME dialog. If you want your existing FPG project files fixed too, you will have to go into your FPG and FPI files in your DocumentsFPSC X10 Fileslanguagebankenglishgamebank folder and change all occurances of .TGA with .PNG. From them on, all your buttons and other standalone graphics will be copied over correctly. If you want to try something a little more risky, backup your FPSC X10 files from the documents folder and then delete the following field in your registry, which will trigger your user files to refresh:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareThe Game CreatorsFPS Creator X10UsingForFirstTime

Only do this if there is nothing particularly important stored in your 'FPSC X10 Files' folder, or all important files have been backed up elsewhere.

If you have not auto updated yet, check out the README file in DOCS for other changes introduced since V101. Feedback and comments on this update welcome.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 18:32 Edited at: 9th Feb 2008 18:34
No update available for me....screenie attached.

Also, why point people to www.fpscreatorx10.com when that sight only has sales information? Between that, and using the same boards as the X9 people, I feel like I'm in a beta program more than a customer.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 20:53
I have the same problem - the autoupdater has never connected for me. Would it be possible to put up manual downloads aswell?

shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 13:48
i get the same thing just says n/a has it been uploaded yet?

[
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 15:22
worked fine for me. Thanks Lee.

[href][/href]
OTS Software I
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 16:11
The update worked fine for me.

To do the manual work, look in:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\FPSC X10
Files\languagebank\english\gamebank\mygame\

Here you will find FPI files. Open each one in NOTEPAD and change any TGA extension you find with PNG. That should do it.

If you created any of projects with your own naming (your game name for example), you'll want to update those too.

http://www.OTSsoftware.com
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 16:29
Problem is that is not the only update. It won't get me the things fixed in v102.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Fruitless CRUNK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 17:26
Same here, but I'm stuck on v1.02.

BOOM!!!!!! HEAD SHOT!!!
Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 17:39
Evrything works fine here...
Thank you for this update lee! ( i never had problems with the missing button, i never had a missing button )

Free media, coming soon!
OTS Software I
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 19:03
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure v105 is comprehensive and includes all the other updates.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 19:24
It has to, otherwise people just getting X10 would be missing out on some fixes. Hopefully someone gets on this Monday so that we "all" can get the latest upgrade.

jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 22:53
i get this too i cheacked my firewall but no dice... i turned it off still did not work...

j.samson
My beauty it is my sin.
Work in Progress...
Will Dee
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anyone found an issue with ground segments not rendering in the level editor ?

When adding ground segments, some render properly, others render as a black hole.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 12:32
I can't update.

I have the "Blood and ragdoll patch" installed and FPSC X10 says it can't get version info now when I press Check for updates.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 16:12
Lee/Rick,

Is anyone working on this? Is it an issue, or are we doing something wrong?

The Proost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 22:46
can you please give us the option to download the updates to ?
thanks
The Proost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 19:39
if i auto update, i must update again with the ragoll update or my enemys just fade out when they die. When install this update again auto update donst work anymore and i have again ver 1.01 ?! version 1.05 is gone i can update no more because fpsc cant find version information!!!).... so,please tgc all updates auto or all seperate to download ... now i got trouble!
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 21:03
I got an update called (TEEN).

FastBurst 2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 19:55
Updates are working fine fo rme, maybe because its Vista Ulitmate 64 bit on my machine. Don't know.

~James

Phoenix Sentry Programmer & CoFounder
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 12:13
Wouldn`t update for me - cant find version info...fixed by right clicking shortcut on desktop, select open file location, right click FPSCreator.exe, select properties, select compatability tab and select run as administrator. Apply changes, close properties and tried update again - upgrade now successful
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 18:20
James H, thanks. That fixed it for me as well. It's going to take a while to get used to Vista. I was happy to see that the version remained (Mature) after the update as well.

Best.

OTS Software I
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 00:57
Even though it says MATURE, be sure to test a level and see if your blood/ragdoll affects actually exist. I've noticed that even if a version says mature, you may need to reapply the blood patch and then reapply the update.

MLLamble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 01:40
I installed the update, and now the enemies disappear immediately when shot! Is there any way to undo the update?
OTS Software I
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 02:24
MLLamble - You have to reapply the blood patch, then reupdate. You have lost your blood/ragdoll update and that is why the enemies just disappear.

I'd recommend doing a reinstall of X10 (repair install), reapply the blood patch, run the update. If you still don't have the blood/ragdoll, reapply the blood patch and reupdate.

MLLamble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 02:37
Thanks! It worked ^_^ Thanks for the advice!
OTS Software I
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 03:32
Anytime. That's the great thing about this forum, people can share their experiences, help each other out, and save Lee some e-mails.

hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 03:50
Hi, I lost every update seens 1.01, cause my internet was not working for a while. Now I'm triying to update to 1.06 that is the latest version that apear in the update manager.

When I push Download Update, Could not create local file, appears on the message box.

Did any have any idea of what is happening.

jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 11:32 Edited at: 16th Feb 2008 11:34
found out how to fix this i have tried and now i have V1.06:

1. Grab the X10 CD
2. Go to start, all programs, the game creators, FPS X10 Setup
3. Reinstall X10
4. Start X10 then do a update cheak
5. Do not update!
6. Install Blood pack first if you want blood.
7. Then update!
8. If you update then use blood pack it will glitch up...

Have fun with V1.06

EDIT: OOPS! some one already found a fix next time i will read before i post...

j.samson
My beauty it is my sin.
Work in Progress...
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 15:57
Don't forget to change your properties to allow X10 to run as administrator.

hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 00:07
cant update yet!.

I uninstall, reinstall, repair, All of this running the program as adminsitrator. Even so Can't update yet!

included a screen of the error!

I try closing the updater and opening agina but it keeps the same in a loop.

Any Comments are welcome!

Attachments

Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 15:16 Edited at: 17th Feb 2008 15:17
Quote: "included a screen of the error!"

Looks like a permission issue. Not on the game but the FPS Creator folder. Is your UAC on or off?
Check the "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators" "\FPS Creator X10" permissions.
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 23:04
Right now my UAC is off, but i already tried whit both options, Even tried applying administrator permissions to folders.

Now I'm asking is there any folder in particular to where the update download?.

Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now I'm asking is there any folder in particular to where the update download?."

You will need to direct that one to Lee / Rick.
Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 19:12
What does version 106?

I have download it... look at my screeny

Free media, coming soon!

Attachments

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 12:29
Has anyone noticed the new "lazy gun" feature when you look around.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 00:14
wow x10 is only .03 updates behind x9, well actually its only 2 but im counting .08 beta.

thats pretty sad, remember when x10 came out, and tgc said theyd still be working on x9 alot?

and so far we've recieved what, 1 update *.08* since x10s release, and x10 has recieved 5....wow.

all i have to say, wow.

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 00:33
Quote: "Has anyone noticed the new "lazy gun" feature when you look around"

YAY! Now if only I could get the damn updater to...you know...update.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 00:34
Whats a lazy gun feature?

[img][/img]
Go to Elite OPS Terrorstike in the Showcase.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 00:42
Yes! Finally got it able to update!

The lazy gun makes the gun sorta lag behind as you move. Of course, on my computer, it's choppy as hell Maybe something didn't work right, but it looks terrible.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 00:59
Don't you have like a Quad core and an 8800GT 512 MB?

[img][/img]
Go to Elite OPS Terrorstike in the Showcase.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 02:49
Yes (the 8800's 640mb, btw), but it isn't framerate that is a problem. The feature is just poorly coded, instead of interpolating the values nicely it's doing it some other choppy way.

george oscar
Years of Service
User Offline
I cant update because I don't have internet on that computer.Is there another place to download the update.
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 02:49
I can't update yet, Even after formatting my comp. Also I'm asking me too if there's another way to get the updates.

Jase
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 20:15
I get the same error as hackinc. I've tried everything to try and update, nothing works

MetalMackey
Swhale aka The FPS Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 02:30
I do not have the program installed on the C: drive, but a secondary one, and I am having the same troubles as hackinc 2000. Could it be because the installer is only looking in the default install directory?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 05:10
I'm really end of ideas about this problem! Lee I think its time you came in to the Rescue.

Blaike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 07:58
I can't get the update either and I've tried everything I could. I'm still stuck on version 1.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 04:00
The most likely reason the same auto updater and the same files are behaving differently for different users is due to how your Windows Vista is set up for permissions and user account control levels, etc. I have not run every combination of user level for every combination of installation, so it is possible you might not have certain permissions required to have full write access into the Program Files area (where the updater needs to write to). I will tackle the issues of 'version not available' seperately, but for anyone with problems finding and applying the update but getting odd results (i.e. no ragdoll, version number wrong, teen instead of mature) please post me screen shots of the following dialog.

If you right click on 'The Game Creators' folder (in My Computer\C\Program Files\), you will find a properties item at the bottom. Select that and click Security. Then click both the Administrator and Users item in the first list and snapshot the permissions table beneath for each, making note to scroll the table to show the Write field tickbox.

The method I use to test install FPS Creator X10 from a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate is to log on as the main Administrator, switch off the UAC control, then install FPS Creator X10. This should give you an installation with all the correct privilages to use the software. When you apply any updates or the blood pack, you must also have logged in as the Administrator of the machine as in all cases the programs are writing into the Program Files folder and needs absolute full permissions. If at any time you get a failure to write into a folder, or an update does not change a file (game does not show ragdolls, version numbers not changed) then it is likely along the way you have changed a permission to deny you access, sometimes silently, sometimes it will tell you.

That said, I am not satisfied to let you groap about trying to understand what permissions you may or may not have, and I will be extending the software and updates to overcome these hurdles so you get an effortless Vista experience.

I will run some tests by installing X10 and subsequent updates against various configurations to see what combination of access levels cause the problems you have been reported. I suspect it is some combination of initial non-admin activity coupled with bots of 'run as administrator' use, rather than a complete and perpetual Administrator session which is the one I use and recommend for using FPS Creator X10.

Additional comments on this issue welcome. The issue of not getting a version number is due to your PC not being able to connect to the update server which has a number of possible causes related to hardware and software firewalls, Vista network setup, hardware routers both built into your modem and seperate devices, other network application software and a myriad of combinations. It might make sense to tackle this in another thread if someone would like to start one off with a really detailed analysis of their system specifications, network setup, hardware used, step by step from initial install and the report that details exactly what error appears and whether the same PC has success performing other network tasks like browsing, playing other multiplayer games, accessing virus update software and microsoft auto update downloads, FTP software, etc.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 04:11
Quote: "That said, I am not satisfied to let you groap about trying to understand what permissions you may or may not have, and I will be extending the software and updates to overcome these hurdles so you get an effortless Vista experience."

Simply Awesome!

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 05:31
Okay guys, some results from my testing:

1. For those who have lost their blood pack features, the problem was that installing V106 direct from V100/V101 caused a TEEN version to be installed without checking for the MATURE flag. I have uploaded a new update program which will kick in when you install from a fresh install how, but try this first. If you install the blood pack again and then use the Auto Update feature twice, you will find it install an Auto Update Patch and then after running FPS Creator X10 again, it will update to the actual V106. Do this and you will get your blood pack back under V106

2. For those getting the 'could not retrieve version' error, this is due to you running FPS Creator X10 auto update and running it in Standard Mode without administrator privilages. This caused a file that needed to write to the Program Files area to fail to write. For V100/V101 you will need to elevate FPS Creator X10 to administrator level before an initial auto update will work. For versions beyond V101 you will not be able to auto update in Standard Mode at all, and you need to run as an Administrator session to avoid seeing this message, as the new auto updater will only run 'as Invoker' which means you NEED to be an Administrator only. Running in Standard Mode with UAC switched on will not work beyond V101. In some cases you will need to create a new user account and set it as a full Administrator type and use that for your FPS Creator X10 installation and update procedures.

3. Another symptom of running in Standard Mode is that any time you are not running as an Administrator invoker causes files to virtualise, meaing they do not actually get written to your program files or documents area but 'pretend' to write to those folders just for the benefit of the executing program. This means when you read that file back, you are actually reading back the last cached version of that file, not the actual or latest file you thought you had downloaded.

4. For those who are indeed logged in and running as a full Administrator, and also getting the 'could not retrieve version', this is because you are running UAC switched on, which means you will not be running FPS Creator X10 as an administrator, but as a regular user with standard mode privilages. When you are in Administrator mode you either need to switch UAC off so all your operations are treated as full administrator, or keep UAX switched on and use the 'Run As Administrator' when you wish to use the auto update feature.

Confused Welcome to Windows Vista UAC! I will transcribe these tips into the next README and see if I can add some more meaningful error messages so you pretty much know what is happening when you are running in the wrong mode. I might also elevate the blood pack and updates to use Administrator manifests to smooth things out a little. Unfortunately as we are currently working on applying for the Vista logo program, we cannot elevate FPS Creator X10 itself (for the auto update feature) but providing you follow all the above little tips you should have no more problems (famous last words I know).

As a recap for those who just want a step by step to get it all working nicely:

A. Log on as Administrator and turn OFF the UAC (at your own risk)
B. Go to START\All Programs\The Game Creators\FPS Creator X10\
C. Run FPS Creator X10 Setup and select REPAIR (restores you to V100)
D. Run your BLOOD PACK installer if you want to (takes you to V101)
E. Run FPS Creator X10 and use the auto update feature ONCE (with UAC switched on you may have problems connecting at this point)
F. When it restarts, you will notice your version is still V101 but you now have (TEEN or MATURE) attached to the version number
G. Run the auto update again and this time you will download V106
H. Drop in some characters and guns and the ragdoll should work

To find UAC control, go to Control Panel\Security\Security Center\Other security settings and click user Account Control link to control it's state.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 19:45:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 19:45:50