Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / V105 Released - Missing Standalone Executable Buttons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 06:24
Problem here is, I'm running Vista Ultimate, UAC off, everything in admin mode...and still can't connect.

Blaike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 09:43
Same here, I guess I'll take Lee up on making a thread.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
There's no need to do all of the above nor "globally" turn on/off the UAC.

Assuming you are an administrator, just download and install the "Application Compatibility Toolkit" from MS (I think version 5 is the latest), and follow these steps:

1) Run the "Compatibilty Administrator" with Administrative privileges (that is, run as Administrator ... Ironic, isn't it?).
2) Create a new database.
3) Create a new "Application Fix"
4) Fill in the blanks and the path to the FPSC X10 executable.
5) Click next until you get to the compatibility fix page.
6) Check "Run As Invoker" and finish.
7) Save the database.
8) Install the saved database.
9) Enjoy (you will never be prompted again for FPSC X10 to run as an administrator).

You can repeat this procedure for any program that you fully trust but it's giving you headaches because some features need high-level privileges.

~Pulsar Coder
Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2. For those getting the 'could not retrieve version' error, this is due to you running FPS Creator X10 auto update and running it in Standard Mode without administrator privilages. This caused a file that needed to write to the Program Files area to fail to write. For V100/V101 you will need to elevate FPS Creator X10 to administrator level before an initial auto update will work. For versions beyond V101 you will not be able to auto update in Standard Mode at all, and you need to run as an Administrator session to avoid seeing this message, as the new auto updater will only run 'as Invoker' which means you NEED to be an Administrator only. Running in Standard Mode with UAC switched on will not work beyond V101. In some cases you will need to create a new user account and set it as a full Administrator type and use that for your FPS Creator X10 installation and update procedures."

Why not put this into the "Users/%name%/appdata/" directory? This would most likely solve a big portion of the "run as administrator" problems that people are having? Just my opinion, you can ignore it you feel like it.
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 00:26 Edited at: 1st Mar 2008 00:35
Finally, after a little try and catch, I finaly Got The updates.

For those getting "Could not create local file" Error!, Heres what I found.

You don't need to do what's inside The Code Area - Its only for information only. If you do it its at Your Own Risk"

Quote: "Now this you Can Do It:

Now log as my regular user whit admin powers. (This is where i remember that i change My Documents Folder).

I check under C:Users%CURRENTUSER% and I notice the abcent of the Documents Folder.

I check the C:UsersAdministratorDocuments and there was the FPSC X10 Files folder i was looking.

Quickly i create a "Documents" Folder inside the C:Users%CURRENTUSER% then a "FPSC X10 Files"
Folder inside "C:Users%CURRENTUSER%Documents" and inside "C:Users%CURRENTUSER%DocumentsFPSC X10 Files" i create a Folder Named "Updates".

Then I uninstall and reinstall FPSC X10, Apply the BloodPack
Update And Run the auto updater. This Time It works perfectly."

Hope This Helps.

From Hackinc2000 To Lee
Lee I think ther's a problem when the user change Or Move The Default Documents Folder Before Installing FPSC X10.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Believe me!

The solution I've provided is more generic. It works for any program you need it to. And avoids turning on and off the UAC.

~Pulsar Coder
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 01:03
I belive you Pulsar, What you have post works beutifully, actyally works perfectly for other software i was having problem whit.

But i think my problem was that when FPSC X10 update look for the Right folder to download the update, It don't find it in wher it looks for it. Because I move that folder to another place. And maybe this is the problem that other people has too. But Just Maybe.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 06:30
Airslide, have you tried the suggestions immediately above this post. Some good extra insights there. I like the idea of moving the auto update program files write into a writable area, it moves the auto update one step closer to less hassle for everyone. I also agree that assuming Users\name\Documents\ exists is a little rash, and there should at least be a check for it and an error message at least.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Blaike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 12:42
I'm basically in the same position as airslide here. I did mess around with the program files privileges a bit like what was suggested, but I think the problem is that for some odd reason I can't get in touch with the server. It just doesn't wanna connect.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 19:20
The FPSC X10 files folder appears in my documents as it should, so I'm a little confused as to what exactly is the problem with the updater.

One a side note: the FPSC X10 Files folder gets a little confusing, mainly when it comes to sounds. Should I be worried about consistency with this folder and the primary FPSC X10 directory? It's especially annoying with the audiobank, which doesn't seem to exist in the documents directory and when I tried putting something in it it failed to load unless it was in the primary directory aswell.

I personally think there should be an option to keep everything in the primary directory, simply for organization and consistency. I understand though if this would be too large a change for the engine, but at the very least the audiobank should be readable out of the documents folder.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 04:02:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 04:02:36