Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / FPSC x10, need info

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
After almost 1 year of playing with game engines I have made progress in understanding the dynamics of game creation and more, however x9 will soon be dead and I am wanting to recreate my games I have made with FPSC x10, but I am very worried about this engine. Is it worth $70 (I mean that is low compared to alot of others).

What I mean is that I watched some vids of the demo game's made by it and noticed that it doesn't show the hands of the charater when in First Person perspective. However, that is the way the FPSC x9 engine started to, until the Model Packs where released. It cost money for each model pack and time, time is something that is limited, and some things are not worth waiting for (if you know what I mean). I am wanting to try and get 1 of my ideas published, and without certain features like AI, Textures, Animations, ect., I wouldn't expect it to get published at all. X10 will be a great feature for a distributed engine which this has, but it seems it lacks what others such as the UT3 engine, I am not talking graphic quality but more along the lines of physics, character models (although with proper programs that can change I am sure), and AI.

I have also tried to research 3D modeling for X10 engines and have came up well, short. Can I use a x9 modeling/animation program such as gamespace, 3DS Max, Milkshape and so forth. I do understand that scripting could probably fix alot of these but I am just wanting to understand this engine a little more. Thank you for your time and sry to bother you guys with this if some of this has already been answered before.

Gameing is Life.... However I suck at making it. Please refer the FPSC book for dummies to me!! thank you
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 16:03
- If you are wanting to have your game published, I'm sure you can see the irony of stating that you don't have much time or money to invest. Unless by "published" you mean creating your own website and inventing some cool name that makes you sound like a big game company.

- $70 is cheap for software. In exchange for that, you give up a lot of flexibility and power. Figuring out the tipping point is something only you can figure out for you. It's different with everyone. You can go with and engine like Torque for $200 and get more features, but you will loose the ease-of-use. Or you can go with free stuff like Delta3D or NeoEngine.

I don't think it's fair to try to compare game engines. Write down the features/requirements of your game. Then see what engine meets those requirements. This is IT 101. When selecting a vendor for your system you need requirements first. It's bad practice to just go off the top of your head, or by the latest trend. It's okay to have some high-end requirements and then eliminate or change them because of what it costs. This forum is full of people who get FPSC, find out it doesn't have what they want, then complain--asking for features found with other engines. It's like buying a DVD player and complaining that it doesn't have Blue-Ray. Why wouldn't you just buy one with Blue-Ray? "Because it's too expensive." So now you've spent less money for something that doesn't have what you want. Yeah, that makes sense.

- Modeling has nothing to do with x9 or x10. This has to be done with a 3rd party product. The model packs for both x9 and x10 demonstrate that you can create some great models for your game. Obviously x10 is taking advantage of Direct x10 which can really help the overall look of your game, but obviously is not necessary for success. The Nintendo Wii has proven that gameplay trumps graphics. I always ask people. What makes your game different? Because if it's not different, why would I buy it?

Gamespace, Milkshape etc are not x9 modeling programs. They don't care about the platform.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Dark Sector
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 16:48 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 18:15
What you have said all makes since, I have messed with torque very much so, and I love the engine however I was just looking into DX10 engine's and this is the one I have found (just wish the price could be like $999.99 with more put into it). I already have games created with other engine's and am just looking to improve them, Money is not the problem, and I suppose it is ironic to say that time is limited when making games, because if you rush you get nothing but crap! I have time but what I was referring to mainly is say that I took and recreated a game using this engine and finished, then I have to wait for a model pack that brings more to it such as hand animations for loading weapons and so forth. Which I was wondering if I could make a model and script that into the engine or is that possible

EDIT: After looking at the forums a little (haven't been on since Dec. of 06 lol) I have decided I may go ahead and buy the engine anyways just to see what comes of it in the future and to play around with something new for a change.

Gaming is fun, Making them is more stressful but can be very fun!
System: AMD Athlon 5400+ @ 3.2Ghz,2 8800GT's 512MB PCIe 2.0
2GB DDR2 PC6400, Epower 850 watt's 4 12v rails

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 04:48:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 04:48:53