Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Fighting Through Darkness

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 18:42
There is good timer based libary by Dark Coder! Search for Timer Based and you will see some posts with Dark Coder posts

And for FPS i would say 30 would be best goal fps!

Click For Details!
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 00:51 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 01:04
Ruccus, that is the best lot of help/constructive critisism I've ever had, a lot of the things you said I like so I'll do my best with them.

Thanks for the feedback...

Check out my site for the latest on my games.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 23:01 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 01:44
OK so I'm almost finished tweaking the engine, I'm making everything in the game controlled by variables I can change to suit the level, mainly to make future development easier.

I want to bumpmap the level but dont quite know how, I tried adding the textures to an array and adding _norm and all sorts of dodgey complicated stuff, so feel free to help if your good with shaders.

I'll get this demo out as soo as I can, I just need to fix the titles and such to work with the new resoloution. (Adding preferences later)

Once everything is controlled by predetermined set of variables it should be really easy to implement the timer, so you'll see that soon.

Once everythings finished I can get onto the real level editing, I highly doubt the current level will be included in the final game as it is extremely bare and boring.

EDIT: The engine is now timer based, and as a result the framerate cap has been removed.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great. Keep up the good work.

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 23:30
Wow that was a good demo it told so much in so little and the atmosphere was great one problem you used FPSC for the map it uses its level models and thing like that

I'm a noob help will be accepted
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 00:52 Edited at: 28th Feb 2008 22:26
Well heres an early shot of the first level, the textures will be different but the geometry will stay the same, I'll use some sort of limb culling system instead of the FPSC one, the levels just look so much better.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 03:45
Yah that look so much better good work!

I'm a noob help will be accepted
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 22:25
Wow! That looks great! Did you make those textures yourself?

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
did you know that both .fx and .dbpro work in notepad?

Is the Apple Mac(intosh) waterproof? (Mac users test. Go on, I dare you
Do fishes get thirsty?
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
The level definately does look better that way.

Quote: "Did you make those textures yourself?"

It looks a lot like this texture:

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 21:45
Randomness 128, you're right.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 22:34
He said they were just placeholders.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Dunno where the textures came from, I know they didn't come from HL2 though.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Textures came with 3d World Studio.

Need some new textures? Check out my site www.silver-dawn.net

dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
that game rocked, even for a demo. I can see that game is going to be great when its finished.

i luv the bit when your walking really slow with the girl singing, then suddenly it speeds up with a thing on your screen, that made me jump.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres a small patch running at 1024 x 768 for those of you that cant run 1280 x 1024.

Just extract the contents into the original demo folder

i.e. C:\Fighting Through Darkness\ **extract here**

It is a little buggy and the physics are highly experimental, but a lot of the issues mentioned have been addressed.

It doesn't have any of the titles like the 1280 version but they're not that important.

Download included with this post!

Attachments

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres the update for those of you that can run 1280 x 1024 and just want to play the new version.

Update includes:

Mouse lock
Decreased title time
Physics
Weapon actually points at the crosshair
Screen no longer screws up in the labs

Attachments

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 14:09
Wow, great stuff man. It actually scared me.

I fell trough the floor in the back-corner of the "press F to hack" room though. Atleast, that's what it looked like happened.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Vincentv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 15:21
Quote: "I fell trough the floor in the back-corner of the "press F to hack" room though. Atleast, that's what it looked like happened. "

I had the same bug.
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Playd it, enjoyes it, did not become scared at all (but was quite impressed with several of the effects, and then I espessially mean the corridor-gets-stretched effect, which I thought was really awsome, and I really hope there will be more of those), but enjoyed it. However, I miss jumping and sometimes I cannot walk over things that should be go-overble. And I missed shoting and enemys. Accept for that, really good work. Awsome effects. Like that static thingy to.

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I fell trough the floor in the back-corner of the "press F to hack" room though. Atleast, that's what it looked like happened.

I had the same bug. "

Hmmmmmm... Its never happened to me but I'll check it out.

Might be a level problem, but shouldn't affect me too much as I'm moving from FPSC to 3DWS.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 10:51 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 10:52
This is looking to be quite the interesting FPS, sir. I couldn't run the newest demo though, said the collision engine could not be loaded. The older one did run for me though.

edit: oh wait that was a patch. I see. Oh well.

I really liked the hallway stretching, as well as the camera pointing to the body in the room. The latter I especially thought was an interesting touch on FPS gameplay. There are two things I didn't really like though:

This game really does reek of FEAR, namely the slowing down in the hallway and the mysterious man walking around a corner then disappearing. I didn't really like FEART that much, so my opinion is a bit biased
Secondly, some of the scare tactics were a little cheap horror movie-y insetad of good scares. Skeleton ghost face with a loud musical cue doesn't really seem like it goes with the story, just a cheap scare tactic. I'm more of a oh hey the body's gone now, scream in the hallway kind of guy (although I think the scream could have been made more subtle). To me, creepiness > scare tactics.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that I'll take it all into consideration, and I dont know if anybody noticed but the body does dissapear when you walk back through the lab?

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
BRASS!!

I added brass and jumping, next comes weapon selection and smoke. The enemies you see have been there a while... I just never showed them.

I need to somehow smooth the animations and fix the AI the next demo should include them, I may have to include some kind of weapon wielding enemy to increase the challenge as the zombies are extremely slow and easy to kill.

They just seem to walk into you until you kill them.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 19:17 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 19:17
Good job, though i would have made the brass half the size. They just seem too big.

Quote: "They just seem to walk into you until you kill them."

That reminded me of my neighbours.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Please make an 1024x768 patch for the new update to.

And by the way, nice looking screenshots.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 19:54 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 19:55
Thanks Thanks!

The 1024 version I put up is the updated one, I just did a 1280 version for people who could run the higher resoloutions.

I'm struggling to think of what to add next, the enemies really do need cleaning up, and I'm working on the weapon select system, but any suggestions of what to add next?

Forgot to mention the player moves the same speed no matter if your looking up or down now.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, good to know that it was the updated version I have played. And that the player moves at the same speed now.

I suggest you work on the details at the moment, like perfecting the player movement and creating an good weapon switching system. And the scary stuff to, of cource!

Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
I think your demo is a really good effort, well done! I want to see good things from this project, definately a potential commercial game!
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
How is the development coming along?

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quite nicely, I recently added blood spurts and bullet holes, and tweaked a lot.

I'm working on the first actual level right now, using various concept art I can find around the web.

I've been playing a lot of FEAR and the two expansion packs, Condemned and even Bioshock to help me get the best atmosphere I can.

Also I've been watching various films such as the Saw series etc.

All this should give me a lot of ideas!

My biggest coding challenge right now is trying to get the initial variables (amount of ammo, player health etc.) to be read from a file, as well as load and position objects (positions stored in a file) instead of me positioning them all manually.

Development is slow at the moment, but thats just me getting distracted by other things. (Army of two, parties and such lol) Dont worry though I wont stop the game.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds good . Just make sure you are allowed to use the stuff you find on the web . Would be an pitty if this game fell because of copy rights.

Ohh, and this is what I think: .

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
A few new shots here showing the new level:

There will be an option to turn static on or off... I have decided.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to see progress. Keep up the good work!

Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
Natflash,

will it be possible to try your demo again, without the static, it runs surprisingly well with static, but I suspect would run even better without it.

Nice looking British Army-SA80 too ;o)
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
The static won't make any difference at all, its just a ghosted plain that spins.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 23:53
Looking fantastic, the demo admittedly scared me a little hehe. I love horror games. If you are looking for examples of games with a horror atmosphere play half life 2, seriously. I think the ravenholm chapter has the absolute best use of atmosphere.

Although FEAR is alright it can't even compare to the scenes in HL2 imo. Condemned is awesome too, but I didn't think bioshock had a horror type atmosphere to be honest, though it was cool.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
A little too clean for a horror game. But I like it! But the colours are a little bland, only brown. I recommend only using the static at so0me points not all the time.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 00:36
Quote: "I recommend only using the static at so0me points not all the time."

Yes, like the way it works in Silent Hill 4 (have not played the others). That's very effective. If you are in the proximity of a ghost, the screen gets more static as it gets closer and an uncanny screaming sound gets louder. Simple, but works.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 04:17
You did really well on this one - I think it was VanB who turned my on to it! Good Job Mate!

(FREAKY!)

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Why thank you!

I'll admit, the project was dieing slowly, but that last burst of encouragement really has inspired me once again, more screens soon!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 19:14
Let me add to that encouragement, then. I'm someone who usually posts a lot, but this one I've been silently monitoring. It's impressive, what I've seen of it, and I might drop you a mail one day to interview you for Untitled

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Interview me for who?

Well whatever it is I'd be happy to do it.

Anyway, a new part of the level:

Looking exteremely bland at the moment but its set to get better!

Oh, and can anyone tell me why Dark Physics the particles dissapear all the time? I really want to add particles, but thats stopping me!

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Awsome. Please release an new demo of this game. Please!

Want to see if the shooting is as good as the "horror" (as stated, I was not scared, but I really liked the affects).

And please do not kill this project.
Really, since you have rewritten it (due to that crash), it has only become better.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I couldn't really kill the project, I did spark it back up after almost a year.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 01:17
I think the game should be a little bit darker mroe shadows and stuff. Unless you don't want that.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 22:06 Edited at: 21st Mar 2008 22:09
New difficulty settings!

The different difficulty settings change things like...

The amount of ammo you get
The maximum player health
The enemy health
It even goes as far as changing the AI's state of mind, i.e. Agressive or Cautious

Image:

Attachments

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 22:18
The demo was brilliant, mate.
Add me to MSN when you get the chance. I would like to ask you a few questions

Looking forward to the next demo. You're one hell of a coder!

Sig by BiggAdd.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 22:29 Edited at: 21st Mar 2008 22:48
Ooooh thank you, that makes me feel so good. As well as inspires me to carry on with this til the end (and backup frequently lol)

Think I'll take my time on the next demo. Unleash it as a beast!

I forgot to mention, your gonna need Pixel Shader 1.4 from now on to run the game.

There will be no such option to turn the shader off either, it is an essential shader.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 23:15
Nathan btw.. Not sure if you are in my msn anymore? Either i have deleted at mistake or not seen you online lol.. Could you add me into msn again? (E-Mail is my msn)

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 21:59:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 21:59:40