Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / In need of Help!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 03:27 Edited at: 15th Feb 2008 14:20
I started writing a game and have errors that I cant find. The intellisens wont point them out either. I have reinstalled all the needed software to find the same results. Im stuck can someone please tell me whats going on, I would like to bring this thing to life! Its only 4 errors that deal with linking, but Im stumped! Thanks in advance!!!

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 00:56
I cant help you, but please post that into a code snippet so we dont have to scroll through all that.

Pro Grammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry!!! Is there a way I can edit my post??

May the megahertz be with you!
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 10:06 Edited at: 15th Feb 2008 10:07
ye there is an edit button just underneath your name. left of your post - it's blue text.

thanks to deathead for the sig! please Click on it!
Oron
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all for correcting my etiquette! But is there anyone who can
also help me fix the problem with the code? I would really appreciate the help! Thank you again!!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 04:20
What are the errors you're getting?

Oron
Years of Service
User Offline
The errors I get are in this code snippet...

I went to read the information that came with Dark GDK, and Im thinking it might come from the use of the "string" in the character class, maybe I should switch how I get and set names. What do you think???

Thanks Phaelax
Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 19:07
Hi Oron, I dont mean to sound offensive but perhaps you should just try whast you're suggesting?
Oron
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Wussup Paul,

No offense taken at all, and that is indeed what I have done! I post for help but I still continue to work on my project. Ive been codeing for almost two years now so Im not completely helpless on my own. Its just my first time working on a video game and my first time using Dark GDK, so I was really wanting someone more experienced with it just to point me in the right direction. But I have found my path and that was what was wrong with it! So Forward...HO!

This is also my first time joining a forum looking for help, kinda disappointed, Its not like I thought it would be...but thanks to everyone that responded its greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ico
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 19:10
Have you set the build to Release?
And Code Generation to MT?
Sometimes you need to ignore a specific library, I think it's Libc.lib or something like that.

There's a section in the DarkGDK documentation that explains this process. I don't have the documentation on me right now, going by memory here.

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 23:07
"Unresolved externals" mean you're trying to call a function that hasn't been defined, at least that's what it usually means when I get those errors.

There are over 100 billion galaxies in our observable universe, each containing up to a trillion stars.

Feeling small yet?
Oron
Years of Service
User Offline
finally some real feedback thanks guys!!!! I will check on what both you guys have sugjested( ico, venge )! Ico I have a question, the documents that your refering to, are they the "Information" file that
came with Dark GDK? I would like to explore this some more! O, yeah I will download your games when I done here cause they look fun and got a lot of good reviews!

Thanks Venge & Ico for some real input, thats what I came here for, to get wisdom from those more experienced then I. Best two replies in this whole thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
ico
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 00:51
Should be in the "Documentation" help file. there's a "Information" help file, but it seems to be missing the 'Getting started' section.

Getting started page from the dark gdk documentation file.

Oron
Years of Service
User Offline
Good stuff thanks! and you were right, I did need to set it to "release"!!!

I played that RPG Fighter game and its going to take a while to beat it, lol! I thought I had it for a minute then the Boss blew up my team, lol! Thats pretty good!!!! I still have to run Arch Ball, I want to play that to, looks like its lots of fun!

Thanks for the feedback and help!
Cyber Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I wanted to add a tidbit here that may help some people out. Building in "Debug" mode doesn't always produce this link failure.

To reproduce this every time, change to Debug mode and add the following items to your code

1)
#include <list>
using namespace std;

2) list<myObjectClass> myList;

3) list<myObjectClass>::iterator iter = myList.begin();

this will cause the link error every time, however just doing 1 and 2 will not.

Thanks for the info on the fix!
(Complies, Links, Runs, VC++ Express 2008)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 20:08:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 20:08:59