Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Window only breaks after delay

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, this one's a bit odd.

I have a largish room with a number of full view windows in it. I start from one end, fire at the windows, and nothing happens to 'em.
I hide the tavor, wait 3 - 4 seconds then walk towards the windows and *then* they break. I can even turn, fire at a closer window which breaks immediately, then walk towards the far one and it only breaks when I get within a certain range.

Anyone seen this behaviour before ? Are there any fullview window settings that can be changed so the window gets destroyed immediately on being shot even if I'm far away ?

Will.
Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
I have not seen this before, however I haven't tried it. To me it sounds like something they may have put in to increase performance.

Can you attach your level to a post so that others may try the exact same level?
Tochiro GE999
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 15:07
Hey Will,
There is a property for entities called "Entity Always Active" and when it is set to true then the engine will always process events for that entity. Otherwise the entity must be within a certain range of the player for any events related to it to be processed. I think this is likely what is causing your delay in the glass breaking after you shoot it. To fix it just set this property to true for all your glass entities. Keep in mind though that this will add to the base level of processing constantly going on in your game so you may want to design your level in such a way that you don't have to set this property to true.

Hope that helps.

---------------
Michael Rogers
Xsniper.net
Drunken Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I've had this problem since the first map I ever made for x10. It happens consistently. Though I haven't tried any of the x10 updates to see if it fixes it.
You notice it most with any zoomed weapon. Especially if you are trying to shoot someone on the other side of the window.
Unfortunately the Entity Always Active property didn't fix it at all for me when I tried it last month.
Will Dee
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the responses, folks.

I tried the entity always active, and that didn't work for me either, although it did make the game slow to a crawl for a while.

I'll just redesign the room so there's something between player and window until it's in range, or will wait for Lee to fix it.

Here's a quick mockup of a room that shows the effect (also, note the problem with the lights).

Cheers,

Will.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tochiro GE999
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 02:20
Hmm, I would have thought the "always active" flag would have fixed it for sure. It must be a bit of a bug in the engine or a "poorly documented feature".

---------------
Michael Rogers
Xsniper.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 20:03:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 20:03:03