Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / X10 is in PCGAMER

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 21:45
Just incase no one has seen it yet, X10 is in the febuary edition of pcgamer, they have nothing but good things to say about it which i suppose is a really good thing, check it out on page 20 of this months magazine (UK)

HMMMMMMM
Nutcase
User Banned
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 03:35
what month? Jan, Feb?

Nutcase Games
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 03:37
Quote: "X10 is in the febuary edition of pcgamer,"

Quote: "what month? Jan, Feb?"

Basic rule about threads are, read the first post before posting.

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.
Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 06:21
Can you please post some stuff that they said about it? I'm just a little eager to know

Snipe to Success
MLLamble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 07:25
I'm glad it got good reviews ^_^ Too many people have been getting really whiney about X10
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 13:55
It's the March issue. They said it was a bit expensive at £45.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 16:28 Edited at: 17th Feb 2008 16:29
is it just out i want to buy it
i'll check there site out as well its always the ones months i miss that are the best

[
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 22:18
They also said: “It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do.”

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 22:29
Don`t suppose someone could post all of there comments?
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 23:57
can anyone provide a scan

Quote: "They also said: “It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do.”"

thats actually true i didn't see much X10 stuff in it still ppl will just say its not as graphicaly advanced but if your a good modeler you can make a great looking game(might try taking cyrsis models and putting them into X10 to see what its like)

Off Topic
did anyone see ep3 of lost just more questions

[
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 01:52 Edited at: 18th Feb 2008 01:52
Quote: "They also said: “It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do.”"

Wow! There's a quote for you!

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 06:29
Quote: "It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do"

Yeah, nobody listened to me when I said it was better than the rest.
Oh well, now you know.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 12:48 Edited at: 18th Feb 2008 12:49
Quote: "Wow! There's a quote for you!"

Owh, come on, everyone knows my fpsc dx10 quotes are the best ones, like ever.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 23:49
Quote: ""It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do""

Heh, now that's a compliment sure worth feeling proud of.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 23:59
I'ts not just PC Gamer that love FPSC X10

Nvidia think its the best game development software in the world right now.

Professional software houses are moving development over to FPSC X10 after seeing it in action.

John Carmack said that we should all be using existing game engines now rather than creating new ones.

Vendors were lining up with TGC to agree a deal being the first to release a commercial quality title with the FPSC X10 engine.

The lead level designer of Crysis said he couldn't believe how good FPSC X10 is and uses it himself.

We don't really need to have discussions about how good FPSC X10 is now. The gaming industry have given their seal of approval.

I'm just finding it difficult to concentrate on my game development now because knowing that I have the best game engine in the world and can now make a AAA first person shooter can be quite distracting.

PC Gamer magazine have already said that FPSC X10 does more for directx 10 than Crysis has. It's just a bit overwhelming having to try and step up your game development to the same extent that the engine has.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 00:08
With all of those kudos, those people must be getting different support than us poor unknowns.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 03:07
Quote: "With all of those kudos, those people must be getting different support than us poor unknowns."

Really though.

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 18:29 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 19:46
Quote: "It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do"

I thought it didn't anyway, but the experts explained so!

edit: PCZONE rated the Anderson and the legacy of Cthulu game, but it wasn't good. 16/100 they rated it.

-FCV

Vista Home Premium; nVidia GeForce 8400GS with DirectX10-ready; Pixel Shader 3.0; Intel Pentium 2 Dual Core with Intel Viiv; 320GB HDD; AGEIA PhysX engine plug-in

www.outputoverload.webs.com
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 20:48
Quote: "I'm just finding it difficult to concentrate on my game development now because knowing that I have the best game engine in the world and can now make a AAA first person shooter can be quite distracting."

That might, be a bit of a stretch...
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 22:18 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 22:26
Quote: "I'm just finding it difficult to concentrate on my game development now because knowing that I have the best game engine in the world and can now make a AAA first person shooter can be quite distracting."

You had that before with FPSC, but hardly anybody agrees until the big boys say so.

Now that all of the big boys are getting on board, I guess the critics are not so critical anymore.

I think that FPSC is still under-rated, and soon we are going to be seeing alot of games on store shelves that are made with FPSC.

Once v2 gets here, then they will be saying the same things about it as they are saying about FPSC X10 now.

There is no question that the v1 targets a larger market, and that is why I am waiting to use FPSC X10 commercially.

All you guys have fun with x10, because I am going big this year with FPSC v1.08 now that we have head shots.

I am working on the last details of the insert for the cover of the DVD box, but after that I will announce my game.

I know people will bash it before they play it, just because its mine, but that's okay.

Some of you are in for a surprise.

Post Script
When I do announce it, please don't harp at me about copyrights, because I have the rights to make this game based on a well known motion picture!
Oh well, I just blew half of the surprise!

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 22:25
Quote: "It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do."
Yeah, but Crysis works on X9 with much lower requirements

Quote: "Some of you are in for a surprise."
I wish...

[img][/img]
Go to Elite OPS Terrorstike in the Showcase.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 22:34 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 22:35
Quote: "Yeah, but Crysis works on X9 with much lower requirements"

That is their only advantage though, and even they know it.
Again, that is why I am using v1 this year and plan to use FPSC X10 next year.
That way more people will have upgraded, and meeting the system requirements won't be as hard for the users.
I think that TGC is well aware of this too, and that is why Lee has big plans for the v2 (FPSC X9) version.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 22:43
Quote: "You had that before with FPSC, but hardly anybody agrees until the big boys say so."

What the big boys say doesn't really do anything for me. If you see EA, Blizzard, or Epic Games put something out in the next year I would be completely amazed. Bu I think we all know that there's no way that the team that did Crysis is going to drop the Crytek engine for X10. It would be a step forward in using directx 10 for textures etc, however you'd loose a ton of features. And as I've said before, the Nintendo Wii has shown us all that gameplay counts more than graphics.

Now that being said, I see no reason why some one couldn't put together a good team and crank out a decent game that EA would be willing to publish. However, we need a stable engine with competitive features. FPSC has come a long way, but coming up with a head-shot option many many years after such a feature has been widely used and published, isn't exactly the way to be competitive.

@ Conjure,
I'd never bash your game without playing it. However I am skeptical if you are going with 1.08. Seems like that version hasn't been around long enough to prove stable. And if you are doing DVD covers, you must be done with development.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 22:43 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 22:48

Yeah but it looks like last-gen ho-hum with the the low-end requirements.

Maximum PC gave Crysis the tongue-in-cheek award of "Most Anticipated Game of 2009". Hehe. Criticising them for releasing a game that our pc's weren't ready for yet, at least not in all it's visual glory.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 22:55 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 23:44
Quote: "If you see EA, Blizzard, or Epic Games put something out in the next year I would be completely amazed. Bu I think we all know that there's no way that the team that did Crysis is going to drop the Crytek engine for X10. It would be a step forward in using directx 10 for textures etc, however you'd loose a ton of features. And as I've said before, the Nintendo Wii has shown us all that gameplay counts more than graphics."

I too doubt that Crytek will switch over to FPSC X10, but I'd be willing to bet you'll see some of Lee's techniques in their next sandbox.

Quote: "Maximum PC gave Crysis the tongue-in-cheek award of "Most Anticipated Game of 2009". Hehe. Criticising them for releasing a game that our pc's weren't ready for yet, at least not in all it's visual glory."

I think so too, but that goes for any other game that utilizes X10.
However, I am glad that Crytek and TGC decided to bring the technology to us ASAP, whether we were ready or not.
The users might not be up to date with the specs, but the developers are, and that is the difference in CRYSIS and FPSC X10.
One is a game while the other is an engine, so Crysis was premature, but FPSC X10 really wasn't.
Now we have all year to develop our smashing FPSC X10 title, whilst the users take their time moving to Vista and X10.

Quote: "I'd never bash your game without playing it. However I am skeptical if you are going with 1.08. Seems like that version hasn't been around long enough to prove stable. And if you are doing DVD covers, you must be done with development.
"

Actually, I am approaching this a bit backwards, like I usually do things. (I just like being different is all)
I am doing the cover first, then the development. (I need the cover for the website's pre-release advertising)
That gives me time for v1.08 to get more stable. (I can work around the bugs now though)
I'm not worried about copcats on this one, so I can announce it at any stage of development.
Once I am about finished with development, then I will take pre-orders before the actual release. (like we pre-ordered FPSC X10)

The cover is taking me longer to develop than the game will.
I have the game's story design and everything else planned out and ready to go. (I've had this game waiting for head shots since FPSC's release)
The cover though is a montage that is made up of hundreds of tiny screenshots of the movie, so it is taking forever.
It should look really cool when I'm done though.

Here is an example that someone else did that inspired me to do mine. (NO! I am not doing a Star Wars game!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 23:28 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 23:34
Here is a close up of how it is made up of smaller images.

Cool huh?

You can imagine the time that is neccessary to create such an image.
I am using a different method that creates a spelled message, so that makes it a bit easier to do than that example.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 23:45 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 23:46
Quote: "That is their only advantage though, and even they know it."
You are joking right? Hands on the objects you pickup, weapon swapping, nano-suit, vehicles, outside levels and all on much lower PC's than X10. And thats ignoring MP totally although Crysis has so many cheaters and TKers the MP sucks usually except in one or two servers.

Quote: "Yeah but it looks like last-gen ho-hum with the the low-end requirements."
I don't give two hoots for graphics. I was referring to game-play mostly. Although bloom is cool, blame MOH: A.

I love X10 and plan to upgrade my PC for it ASAP and get on building EOT with it. By the time I'm done, the majority of serious gamers should have PC's capable of running it.

[img][/img]
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 23:50

Yep xp crysis all around.

Quote: "

"It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do""

i beg to differ have you guys seen some of the crysis movies, like mass physics...

i dont know but if im not mistaken thats a pretty damned good thing, mass physics.

fpsc *not to sure about x10* cant run half as stable with 20 objects with physics as crysis can do with 5000

So untill the day i see mass physics, weather options *real time weather* and fpsc being able to load atleast half as much stuff as crysis *with or without physics* and can match up with atleast a couple unique features like crysis, fpsc will never, and i mean never be better than a graphical powerhorse top of the line AAA game like crysis. i mean, cmon, lets be logicial here, how much did you guys pay for those quotes? jk. no not really

Death has no end
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:02 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 00:08
Quote: "You are joking right? "

No, I'm not.
I found Crysis' multiplayer levels really lame.
Its just a race to get the weapons and the first one to it wins.
Over and over and over, and the other type of play with the objective play is not much fun either.
Again, the same old thing, over and over.
After two days of it I was bored to death.

The single player levels are ok, but let's face it.
That nano suit is not really a big deal. (it's over rated)
So, it changes the players stats; speed, defense, jump height, etc.
All Crysis did for me was to overheat my video card.

The map size in FPSC makes the use of vehicle pointless really.
I am going to have a drivable vehicle in my game, but the distance is limited because it is low on fuel.
Everyone forgets the additional actions Lee put in way back, because there is one in particular that I have not seen anyone using.
Vehicles are possible now, but nobody seems to be able to figure that out on their own.
Oh well, you'll get an example soon enough.

Quote: "I love X10 and plan to upgrade my PC for it ASAP and get on building EOT with it. By the time I'm done, the majority of serious gamers should have PC's capable of running it."

Exactly, they have the time to upgrade while we develop.

Quote: "i beg to differ have you guys seen some of the crysis movies, like mass physics..."

Yeah, and I have actually played the thing and played around making a level in it.
I got news for you people, all of those features in Crysis come with bugs.
You can actually have fun making games with FPSC X10.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:12
Quote: "fpsc *not to sure about x10* cant run half as stable with 20 objects with physics as crysis can do with 5000"
Thats 3000 and not in-game, it's pre-rendered or something

Quote: "No, I'm not.
I found Crysis' multiplayer levels really lame.
Its just a race to get the weapons and the first one to it wins.
Over and over and over, and the other type of play with the objective play is not much fun either.
Again, the same old thing, over and over.
After two days of it I was bored to death.

The single player levels are ok, but let's face it.
That nano suit is not really a big deal. (it's over rated)
So, it changes the players stats; speed, defense, jump height, etc.
All Crysis did for me was to overheat my video card."
The MP is great on this one server thats admined and modded to be very fun the Wu-tang clan I believe. The single-player is so cool, an X10 better than the SP in Crysis would be over the 5000 buck limit in days with just a little online advertising. i doubt it though. Nano-suit over-rated? I never said it was complicated to implement, but neither are textures yet they both affect the gameplay. No way, also what about the weapon modding and destructible buildings? Anyone who dislikes Crysis must either run it horribly, hate FPS or just be plain silly (like my friend who's never played it and instead nerds out on Halo, yet disses it). X10 may be better than Crysis, but no way the games you make with it are going to be even a single A, if there is a such thing. Sorry for the rant, but comparing X10 to Crysis is like comparing X9 to X10.

[img][/img]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:15 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 00:15
Quote: "Sorry for the rant, but comparing X10 to Crysis is like comparing X9 to X10."

Actually that is exactly why we were comparing the two.
One is X9 (Crysis) and one is X10 (FPSC X10).

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:37
Quote: "One is X9 (Crysis)"

arnt they both techniqually x10 but crysis has a mod to make it x9? speaking of which have you guys seen the people trying to port x10 to xp, there is a demo/beta thing out, i cant remember where tho, just look up directx10 in x9 or something to that effect.

Death has no end
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 01:09
Quote: "arnt they both techniqually x10 but crysis has a mod to make it x9? "

I was going by the minimum sytem requirements they advertise.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 01:44
Quote: "You can actually have fun making games with FPSC X10."

Judging by the lack of completed games, I would say that most folks are more into the process of building game rather than getting out a product. Or, get frustrated when they realize that it takes more than a 4GL to make the next Doom.

BTW, for those who want HL, or Doom entities in X9 or X10, please, just mod HL or Doom. Using FPSC to make a game like an existing game is like painting by numbers and saying you're an artist.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 01:53
Quote: "One is X9 (Crysis) and one is X10 (FPSC X10)."
Um no, Crysis has much better eye candy (and more importantly physics in MP) in DX10 than in DX9. So unlike both FPSC's it's cross compatible.

[img][/img]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 02:50 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 02:51
Quote: "Judging by the lack of completed games, I would say that most folks are more into the process of building game rather than getting out a product. "

"yeah yeah, that's me!" ...Tuco (the good, the bad, and the ugly)

Quote: "BTW, for those who want HL, or Doom entities in X9 or X10, please, just mod HL or Doom. Using FPSC to make a game like an existing game is like painting by numbers and saying you're an artist."

I agree.
TGC gave us the opportunity to include custom media, so why people want to ripp off another game instead of making a new character is beyond me.
I guess it's the same reason I use Bond's stuff instead of my own; I suck at texturing my models and animating them.

Quote: "So unlike both FPSC's it's cross compatible"

That is why there is one Crysis and 2 FPSC's.
FPSC is cross compatible if you consider using both engines. (which the low price makes that feasible)

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 03:12
Quote: "I guess it's the same reason I use Bond's stuff instead of my own; I suck at texturing my models and animating them."

Using the model packs and freebies is fine. It's not like the public has seen them. But if you try to put out a game with Gordon Freeman in it, you or your parents will face a lawsuit. Not to mention the humiliation you face as your friends talk about what a lame version of Orange Box you made.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 03:19
Quote: "That is why there is one Crysis and 2 FPSC's."
Thats quite silly IMHO. Imagine that Crysis only ran on Vista and if you wanted it for XP you had to play Far Cry. Still great, but a lot different. See what I mean. Calling FPSC the same as FPSC X10 is ridiculous.

[img][/img]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 03:25 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 03:34
Quote: "Thats quite silly IMHO."

What is silly is to caompare a game with a game engine.
Yeah, Crytek lets you use the sandbox editor, but that is for hobby stuff, not for profit. (unless you have $250,000+ to buy the license)

That is why I find it silly that the so called experts writing those articles for those magazines even compare the two.
I guess it is because they are the only two products out there that do include X10 features.
What else is there to compare either one to?

Quote: "Calling FPSC the same as FPSC X10 is ridiculous"

Who said they were the same.
I am saying the difference in them is what makes FPSC both X9 and X10 compatible.

I still go back to the Crysis is a game not a game engine like FPSC or FPSC X10.

Crysis is a toy, where as FPSC X10 is a tool.

I guess that is why the experts prefer it, because FPSC X10 is better for X10 development than Crysis, hands down.

And as far as those physics...
I have yet to see anyone make anything with the sandbox that comes even close to the effects that were in those videos.
I do like how the trees can be blown in half, but Butters made his columns in his Butter Cutter where they were destructable.
So I do not see why the same can't be done for trees.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I really *hope* that someday we'll see how good X10 can really look. I mean, the reason Crysis, Bioshock, and these newer games look so good is because they have literally millions of dollars of professional game art WALL to WALL. Teams of professioal game artists working for several years doing their best work, that is a lot of money involved there.

I have no doubt that X10 could match the visual quality of a game like Crysis if you could pour those kind of resources into it. I can totally understand the quote from the Crysis level designer - getting immediate gratification and ease of use of X10 for quickly banging out ideas is pretty hard to beat.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 03:37 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 03:42
Quote: "I can totally understand the quote from the Crysis level designer - getting immediate gratification and ease of use of X10 for quickly banging out ideas is pretty hard to beat."

There is another big difference... Rapid Application Development (RAD)

It is hard to beat the ease of use that FPSC offers. (all version)

Quote: "the reason Crysis, Bioshock, and these newer games look so good is because they have literally millions of dollars of professional game art WALL to WALL. Teams of professioal game artists working for several years doing their best work, that is a lot of money involved there."

That is so right Bond.
This is why we need you and Fletcher so bad.
There are not many people here to offer professional results like those found in your packs.
Now that FPSC X10 is getting all of this attention in the press, I think it is only a matter of time before more artists come on board.
I know that means more competition for you guys, but as you said that is really what we are lacking in the community.
Most offers are from beginning modelers and that is great, but we are lacking an abundance of professional work.
I'm sure they will bring along their professional prices though, which leaves us where we are now.
Yeah, there are professionally done models out there, but most come with a professional price tag.
Thanks again for everything you do here Bond.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 03:52
Quote: "I have no doubt that X10 could match the visual quality of a game like Crysis if you could pour those kind of resources into it."

If the graphics engine could actually handle rendering all of it.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 04:24
@ Benjamin

You took the words right out of my mouth. I really don't think the X10 engine can handle the same amount of content or mapsize and keep the framerate up.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 04:26
Quote: "What is silly is to caompare a game with a game engine.
Yeah, Crytek lets you use the sandbox editor, but that is for hobby stuff, not for profit. (unless you have $250,000+ to buy the license)"
I'm not comparing that, I'm saying its silly to compare the caliber of games made with FPSC X10 to Crysis. Expecting a Crysis level game of X10 is way too much to expect.

Quote: "I have no doubt that X10 could match the visual quality of a game like Crysis if you could pour those kind of resources into it."
So you'll make me a sequel to Crysis to help wrap up the sucky ending, with X10? Oh, visual quality, X10 wins there, like it should. The power and freedom of the Cryengine are almost noexistent in FPSC X10, but its still great and looks cool.

[img][/img]
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 06:24 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 06:25
It seems many people here don't understand what they said, I'll wrote what has been posted “It does a better job at showing off the pluses of DX10 than Crysis ever managed to do.”, this doesn't mean they are saying FPSC X10 is better than Crysis, they are saying Crysis doesn't show off DX10 very well, compared to FPSC X10, there's a big difference. I'm sure they would say the same for any of the DX10 samples that come with the latest SDK. I haven't played Crysis in DX10 but from what I can tell from screenshots it's very similar to the DX9 counterpart, plus with some setting tweaks they can look almost identical, this is what they are talking about, because FPSC X10 contains some DX10 features that cannot be directly emulated on DX9 thus their point is valid.

Anyone who thinks FPSC X10 can produce a game that's anywhere near the quality of Crysis is severely deluded, sure you may be able to get some media looking as good, but with about 10% of the FPS you'd get in any other engine. But when it comes to the actual FPS gameplay(map sizes/designs, weapon functions, multiplayer, story lines, vehicles, physics, AI, foliage, lip synced talking, map editor etc etc) it falls far short. Sure you may be able to get the graphics the same, who wouldn't? YOu could just directly rip the media and I'm sure it would look almost the same but graphics don't make a game, it's only part of it.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 06:57
More like almost none of it. I still love Q2

[img][/img]
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 10:26 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 19:23
Quote: "FPSC X10 contains some DX10 features that cannot be directly emulated on DX9 "

Like what?

Quote: "Now that being said, I see no reason why some one couldn't put together a good team and crank out a decent game that EA would be willing to publish."

EA would not even talk to anyone on this boad period, they deal only with big name developers, yo will not even get an answer from them in any shape or form, go post what you said at any indipendent developer forums, and watch them rip into you, post a link as well, Id like to see the damage.

Conjured Entertainment you are my new favorite poster, your coments make me feel someone has just spiked me a psychedelic elixer, either that or Im going insane. Now why are the experianced people leaving this forum again.

Quote: "I too doubt that Crytek will switch over to FPSC X10, but I'd be willing to bet you'll see some of Lee's techniques in their next sandbox."

Quote: "The cover is taking me longer to develop than the game will."

Quote: "Crysis is a toy, where as FPSC X10 is a tool.

I guess that is why the experts prefer it, because FPSC X10 is better for X10 development than Crysis, hands down."

I dare TGC to put the first and last in their quotes.

also someone scan the article and post it.
Also just a note, as people mentioned ertovs game, if you have the money you can make sure you get a good review in the magazines, either that or if you have paid adverts in the magazine will help with the magazine review PR department, what do you think those big marketing budgets go to, back handers my friends, money talks as they say, welcome to the real world as Morpheus would put it, adptly named after the greek god of dreams.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 11:29
Quote: "Like what?"

Well the volumetric particles for one, while such a feature can be implemented in DX9 it can't use the same method that is used in DX10, i.e. the DX10 tank with smoke sample, you could do similar in DX9 but I doubt it'd run as fast, or even close. Also I'm not sure if DBP X10 has it implemented yet but the geometry shader in SM4.0 would be very useful for certain effects.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 20:44
Yeah but low requirement games like Q4 have particle effects that look great. I don't know what the deal is about volumetric particles, but the effects in DX9 are good enough for me.

[img][/img]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 02:55 Edited at: 21st Feb 2008 03:00
Quote: "Conjured Entertainment you are my new favorite poster, your coments make me feel someone has just spiked me a psychedelic elixer, either that or Im going insane. Now why are the experianced people leaving this forum again."

Maybe because you don't end your questions with a question mark.
How would I know?
Go ask them.

Maybe they all have different reasons, or maybe its because of my elixer.
It can't be that you're going insane though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 09:19:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 09:19:37