Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Achieving a specific perspective

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 05:41
I have been working on the graphics for a 2D RPG project (my avatar picture is something I made) and I am running into a little trouble. I am trying to make all my art have a 3/4 perspective (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3/4_perspective) but I can't seem to achieve the same look for everything. Some object appear to be a direct top-down view while others look like they are from the side. I tried to divide the image into 4 vertical sections and make only the top 1/4 the top of the object in the game, but it doesn't look right for everything.

Does anyone have any tips for making the sprites consistent?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 08:46 Edited at: 21st Feb 2008 13:03
I think the tricky part with that style is achieving the illusion of depth, but I think it's a matter of how you start. I'd make some cubes first, like if you start with a simple box, then make the top 2/3rds bright, and the bottom 1/3rd dark. A good example is the rocks in that link you've shown, maybe an idea to try and replicate those first, then that'll give you some insight in how to do it for more complex objects.

The other thing I would say is that your drawing style might appear flat because the shading is quite subtle, let me have a go at drawing that chest, the way I think those nintendo top down artists do it...

See how I've darkend the areas beside where the gold metal would cast a shadow, and the bottom third is consistently darker than the top, which fades to give an idea that the lid is curved. Also, the white highlights are higher up on the gold parts, little things like this can help make those gold bits appear raised compared to the rest of the chest.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 23:12 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2008 05:23
I am actually specifically avoiding using more intricate shading techniques. I want to create very simple looking sprites that are still appealing. Most of my inpsiration is coming from Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. Here is a picture of what I am aiming for, although my project is more detailed because my sprites are a higher resolution:

I don't think I explained myself well enough before, so I'll try again. In a 3D environment if you look at a group of various objects from the same angle then they will appear different than if you looked at a different angle. My problem is I am having problem making my viewing angle consistant. Some objects look like the "camara" is directly above it, while others are slanted to the side a bit. I want them all to appear as if you are looking at them from the same angle.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 13:01
Looks at my little chest, looks at Zeldas little chest...

Still puzzled as to what the problem is. I think maybe your art style needs more detail if your upping the resolution to such a degree, you need to tarnish it a bit, try and put some texture onto it. For example add a wood grain to the wood, darken the gold and highlight the edges.

But shading is vital, it's the only way you can make a 2D game appear 3D. You should define a strict system, as I said, 1/3rd dark for the front, 2/3 light for the top, based on if you were drawing a box.

Perhaps it would help if you posted a screenshot with more of your sprites, it is a style problem, so you'll have to draw all your sprites in the same way, but we need to see what your doing wrong - really the only thing wrong with your chest is that the shading is not bold enough IMO.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 07:14 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 07:16
I don't want them to look 3D, I just want them to look like they are all drawn as if you are looking at them all from the same angle. Here are a few examples of some of the sprites I have made, maybe it will give you an idea of my style:
New Chest

Block

Crate

Sign

As you can see, the chest shows it from a slightly angled perspective while the block is angled directly above. This is what I'm talking about, I want a consistent angle.

If you compare those to the screenshot of Link to the Past that I showed earlier then I hope you will see a similar style. Think of it as cell-shading, but 2D.
jblack
Years of Service
User Offline
You have to vizualize what they would look like all at the same angle. I simply made a box for they were all inanimate objects. I took the box in the center to create the four surrounding objects. (They're all 16 x 16) I know, its outdated, but you could do that with a 32 32 or 64 64 also. I started by taking 3 basic colors, the midtones, highlights and shadows. Then I placed them the same way that the chest's highlights, midtones, etc... were (relatively). And then I began creating objects based on the guidelines I made.

Here's what I came up with, I could have done 32 x 32 the same way:

aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 17:55 Edited at: 8th Mar 2008 18:38
i think your problem is with Van B's sprite is that it has too many colors, am I right? Well, you don't have to use that many colors, you could simplify the shading, no big deal.

My advice would be to make a template for what a unit cube would be (how tall the front, and top are) and use that for your scale.

Also I don't see how your style is similar, because while link to the past uses more colors for at least sign posts maybe, you use very little.

support THE FUGHTHRITS!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 14:00:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 14:00:10