Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Need Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
for my Sr. project i decieded to make an online game. little did i know that it would be this difficult. i was hopeing on making a 2d mmorpg to play with friends. it was going to be a mix of like final fantasy with endless online type characters. although i have dark basic i am in a confused state of what to do and i would appreciate the help.
JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 04:25
You didn't say anything about what your problem is or how far you have gotten so far. Also, of course making an online game, let alone an MMORPG, is going to be difficult. My suggestion: unless you want to be in your senior year of high school for several more years, pick a new project, because that is how long this will take you.

Try making a game that is not so difficult, you won't get discouraged as quickly and your chances of finishing will be far greater.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 02:37
i can't echo JMS's suggestion enough. go with something simpler unless you plan on repeating senior year 3-4 times. even a single player 2d rpg is a lofty expectation unless you keep it really basic. ie, very basic dialogue/npc interaction (i'd keep it to a couple simple things like "quest giver" and "find the key" stuff), minimal object/inventory management (ie, 1 potion type, 1 "magic scroll", 1 weapon, 2 spells, etc etc. you get it). otherwise, you'd definitely be biting off more than you can chew. keep your goals for this very reasonable, allow some time to polish it up, and i think you could pull off something small but impressive in that amount of time.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 02:51
You don't have time to make an online RPG, unless you're only a freshman now. Online tank or online pong sounds like a better choice, depending on your coding skills. When you need the help on something more specific, then ask.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 11:54:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 11:54:57