Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Wip The Last Great Swordsmen a commercial 3d action/adventeur hack n slash game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I checked out that website and damn near spit pizza roles on my keyboard. I love the contrived PR hype and the way that it just consistently gets worse the more you try to put a positive spin on it. If you're really serious about this you ought to drop the PR role. If you're just having a laugh, though, keep it up!

In the laughs department you're doing great!

This thread and the website are PURE comedy gold. I hope, somehow, it was meant that way because if it's not it's an almost certain tragedy resulting in narcissistic injury.

music & miscellaneous psuedo-intellectual screeds http://deepeddiezilker.blogspot.com/
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 21:15 Edited at: 26th Jul 2008 21:16
I just read your website, and now I really don't care if this turns out good or not. You expect us to believe those models you bought are Israelis? (what, did the Japanese invade Canaan or something??)!?! I read the whole story explaining them... Do you know anything about Jewish history or religion?

...I just saw the rest of the site... You'd think with a 9 man team you'd have some actual concept art and a decent web coder... I mean you put Dark Matter models under concept art, both of which have NOTHING to do with the time period. And that drawing...

I have to agree with Eddie. I would have spit food out of my mouth laughing if I'd been eating too.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Your boner thread on MR. I replied to it if you were deathead and next time I come back there is a homo reference. "

Boner thread? When was that?lol I never made a boner thread.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 23:04
Good.

Favorite Quote: Dramatized code? Code Drama!

Eddie Zilker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Boner thread? When was that?lol I never made a boner thread."

Sigmund Freud would cringe if he saw this one.

music & miscellaneous psuedo-intellectual screeds http://deepeddiezilker.blogspot.com/
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sigmund Freud would cringe if he saw this one.
"

ahaha.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 05:08 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 05:29
The website makeover is underway. Check out the website at the end of this week of August 16th.

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3d hack n slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been reading this thread for awhile now and I am shocked at the amount of negativity dbp has recieved.

Quote: "It will not be sold in stores like you hope. Do you want to know why? Because it NEVER happens! If you are making games with DBP (Like me) then you are not ready to sell a game in stores"

Dbpro has made many commercial titles. FPSCreator being only one of them off the top of my head. Also, a guy was contracted out by NASA to set up his game at their space camp, a game he created using....DARK BASIC PRO!! I would definitly say that dbp has made multi-millions of dollars to many different people around the globe. Even a guy from crytek came on the forums and said his development staff use dbp for different purposes. It is tremendously popular and powerful tool.

So this gargoyle guy and his team have a real good shot at creating a good game. He just needs to work on it.

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Some critique and points of suggestion:

Why Israel? Why use Canaanites? Why use anything from history? Anytime you reference something from reality, it detracts from the players immersion into the game play. In my opinion, create countries, create your tribes, and create names from scratch.

You said your trying to be different in your hack n' slash approach, yet I am not understanding what your doing unique with this game. Don't try and mix genres either if your going to try and do so. Don't try and mix Action with RPG. It can be done, and done very well, but for a start up group likes yours, focusing on one genre and becoming really good on it should be your goal.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 05:17 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 20:02
Thank you bad monkey and everyone else for the great and hard crit. I really apprecaite every comment.

Here is what I have to say to everyone. I think that it is possible now for DBP to be able to fully run and handle a 3d hack n slash with the right amount of polies used, in right places. Next, the website is under a new complete overhaul and will look 10 times more professional in 2 weeks when I finish the update. The game itself is coming along nicely (but no new visable progress to see, at this moment), but I have been alittle busy and distracted lately with playing new PS3 games and getting ready to start college. So in closing; look forward to screenshots of the first level in action in the coming months, a commercial game with a small group of guys develops into a completed project, but not incredibly fast.

Best,
Beastegargoyle

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 14:58
Quote: "butt monkey"

Why are you screwing Bad Monkey about? He is one of the only people here giving you encouragement and you choose to rip him?

Good luck with your project, but take in some of the points made here. DBPro is great for prototyping, but you'll have a real challenge finishing your game while still maintaining a decent framerate. But no-one said it was impossible, so give it a go

Once again, good luck

Best,

Wildy

Being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Beast, if your looking for any help with the website let me know. Not sure if I'd charge a small fee yet or not, depends on how much work you would need done.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 05:19 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 20:02
I was going to edit my last post, but new posts have been posted. First off, I will change all the biblical connotation names and completely rename everything. Secondly, I did not rip on bad monkey and said I appreciated him and everyone else. Third, here is a level layout of level 1. Tell me what you think about it. Fourth, I can update the website myself, although check back to it in a week when I add the backgrounds/ page layouts to each webpage. Thanks for offering though.
Best,

Beastegargoyle

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
What IS your website? I don't see a link anywhere. The one in your sig leads to a forum page, and the picture in your sig isn't a link.

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 12:22
I thought his name was Bad Monkey not Butt Monkey

Being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 20:03
Wilderbeast your hilarious.

Sid the game's website is now in my sig.
best,

Beastegargoyle

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 16:17
I'm not trying to be funny. I'm genuinely confused as to why you call him Butt Monkey when his username is Bad Monkey.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 21:46
Opps! i thought i fixed my post,lol. Stupid brain wont listen to me. anyway i finished all of the buttons i think, am i right BeastE?

punk13@inbox.com
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 11:27
Wow! Allot of critics!

I never checked out your game or webpage but i can say this...

From some of the harsh comenters....its actualy very easy to start a company. I believe i can run to a local registry where you get license plates from and register a company name for 50 bucks.

Also its not that hard to make money off of dark basic projects. Once you have developed your game you can start mailing off copies to 3rd party developers for help publishing it. Now if i can go to the local wallmart store and find crappy games their....im sure it wouldnt be hard to find a publisher.

There is allot of people here on the forums that think its impossible when its not. Be optimistic and continue with your project and ignore these childish remarks of others.

The longer you work on your project....it will keep getting better.
Its also easy to make your game...then go back and overhaul the graphics.

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, i honestly think you are making it sound easier than it really is. First, ASSUMING you finish your game (like 95% of games on these forums are never finished) you have to gain popularity in it. you need some download success where people are willing to shell out some money to some indie developers. you are going to need to find a way to catch someones attention and never let go. addictive gameplay is a must. Second, im really not sure how easy it is to find a publisher or what the process involves but i do know that its not like these guys publish your game for free. the cost will probably be around six figures plus they are going to want a share of your profit which means your game better be worth $40 or your owing a lot of money to the publisher. sure there are some real crap games you can find at best buy and think to yourself that if they can do it then you can. but the difference is that they actually have money...you dont. dont go like global marketing here. aim for a small audience and then expand. for example, win the hearts of the darkbasic community....lol and then advertise on websites or whatever. dont want to shoot you down but just wanted to let you know its a lot more work than one would think. so just because you have a completed project doesnt mean the cash is going to automatically flow in.

If at first you dont succeed, call it ver 1.0

Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz processor,4GB Ram,GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 19:42 Edited at: 19th Aug 2008 19:46
What you may not know is that there is allot of publishers out their that have money to get it started. Do you think that book writters have the money to begin with before they get there books published? I dont think so....eventualy they do after a few books or so. But at the start a book writter usualy has nothing.

Its just like an interview for a job position. You mail in your stuff and show them the product. If they like it they bargain with you to produce it for you. Also if your a home owner such as myself ...its not hard to get a six figure line of credit to get the ball rolling on some advertising costs or whatever. Its also not hard to turn to relatives and friends to help you with connections to people that can help get the ball rolling in advertising or whatever.

Anyways....what im mainly saying is that you shouldnt look down at others and say....oh you will never be a company.

(That is for sure an easy one) 60 bucks or so registers your company at a local registry! If you dont make much or anything off the start so what.....(tax credits) also known as write offs.

Also i dont know about other countrys but its easy to get a buisiness loan in canada. Banks are always wanting to make more money so trust me....they will help you out. Again its like an interview.... you show them your product and they decide if its worth the shot to give you the funding.

Now about the game and gamplay itself.... Yes it needs to be good but you all talk like its imposible to make money with darkbasic....and thats not true. Allot of people think that they need crazy awesome graphics to sell a product. Thats not true either.

well i tell ya what.. Nintendo is making a butt load of cash on retro games! What does that tell ya.?

Well the graphics are not that good on those older systems... why do they continue to sell and sell?

This is what sells a game: A good idea that is addictive and fun.....thats it.

you do that and im sure you will do fine.

im sure some of you are flamming this guy for his work just cause your board...

I say let them produce and see what they come up with......when the product is done then it can be critisized.

What i suggest:
make your product......dont over talk it up like its the best thing ever....just be calm and post a demo and see what people critisize about.

then make improvements...

then when it becomes time again post a demo or trial version.

gauge on peoples reactions.....if every one loves it then take it to the next level.

if not then continue to make it better....

After every thing is good to go.....then start a company name for yourself. And get some interviews with some producers.

You may just find that your product may just get baught right out and you working for them to produce a sequal......who knows...

but i believe its not hard to get things going if you have a good product and are fully dedicated.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 19:51
oh also i saw some bad commenting about your webpage.....i had a look and it looks good! Keep on keeping on

Im sure if you continue with this project it will be a good one
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
SMD_3D Interactive:
Its a 2d image. On a .html. The buttons don't even work.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 21:49
@Deathead- I am honestly trying my best at web designing. Also, I will have a paid server once my game progresses more.
@SMD_3D Interactive- Well I'm realizing I spoke to soon about my game and people love to discourage when they have nothing better to say and they don't see alot of work, yet.

@Homey the Clown- I plan to release a polished demo before the game is up for sale.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Deathead- I am honestly trying my best at web designing. Also, I will have a paid server once my game progresses more."

Wait a second. I could whip up some randomly quick template for it.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 05:08
@Deathead- no thanks, in a good way, my friend. I will have the website updated soon. It's just that my free website server died and now I have to re-register and re set up the website on another account which may take a week. Because college starts in less than a week.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 09:37
Quote: "SMD_3D Interactive:
Its a 2d image. On a .html. The buttons don't even work.
"

Its still a good start....the art work looks professional and thats what counts.

Again im guessing that hes not finished with it....wich im right about. So it looks good so far.

Wait to critisize when its done......notice the thread says wip

in english translation for you that (work in progress)
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 19:42
@SMD_3D Interactive, the website people were criticizing was before the image was up.

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont get me wrong im not trying to say anything negative...just trying to set reality in.

Quote: "
Now about the game and gamplay itself.... Yes it needs to be good but you all talk like its imposible to make money with darkbasic....and thats not true. Allot of people think that they need crazy awesome graphics to sell a product. Thats not true either.

well i tell ya what.. Nintendo is making a butt load of cash on retro games! What does that tell ya.?
"

you dont need crazy graphics...just convincing graphics. you wouldnt want to make a ninja game and use a stick figure as your ninja....bad example but i hope you get the point. if you have played Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64 then i hope you have noticed that those graphics were really primitive (good for the time period) but the gameplay was really addictive. the question is, what makes your game stand out from the rest?...besides looking like a dynasty warriors look-alike game.

its not hard to get a six figure line of credit
"

...i dont know about canada but we have this thing in america called 'credit rating'. being that these kids have probably no credit history, borrowing six figures wont be easy if at all possible. besides, if your game doesnt sell well, then you have a lot of debt for the rest of your life. lol

Honestly, i would focus on selling/advertising on the internet. its virtually cost free (depends how you plan to advertise), risk free, its open to the world (not just select stores), and the world uses the internet.

If at first you dont succeed, call it ver 1.0

Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz processor,4GB Ram,GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 05:43
i've been banned once before for this, and i dont mind getting it again.

LISTEN TO ME. THERE WILL BE NO MORE BAD CRITS ABOUT BEASTES WEBSITE OR COMPANY. IT WILL BE A GREAT GAME, IT IS A GREAT WEBSITE, AND WHEN HIS COMPANY BECOMES FAMOUS I WILL BE LAUGHING AT YOU AND YOU WILL BE CRYING AND STILL LIVING WITH YOUR PARENTS.
IM GETTING SICK OF PEOPLE ALWAYS SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT OTHER PEOPLES WORK MAYBE ITS YOUR OPINION BUT IF YOU AINT GOT NOTHIN NICE TO SAY DONT SAY IT AT ALL. I MEAN WHATS WRONG WITH YOU, ITS CLEARLY A GREAT SITE, AND GOING TO BE A GREAT GAME!
you people are just jealous..

FrAnKiE
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 08:23
That was really dumb. Thats the only word for it sorry.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 09:25 Edited at: 21st Aug 2008 09:29
oh boy!......

May i ask how you guys managed to get soo many critics?

1. your wip is in the wrong thread....
2. Your talking it up big before its finished...
3. You made a web sight before having a demo or some sort of release
4. You have some what started bragging that you are now a company.

What i suggest for this point on....

1. Get your game finished....and dont worry about this thread.
Its going to continue to get bad critics.....the forums are full of these guys that like to do so.

2. Then fix up your web sight with some sort of demo maby?

3. When your all said and done then you can brag about it....

I am not critisizing this project at all. I bet it will be awesome...i just feel bad that you guys got off to the wrong start with saying things that you just cant on these forums.

eg. i cant start bragging something up that i have nothing to show for it.....i can expect to get a noobish slap.

Anyways good luck with the project guys....And stop bashing eachother around. Its almost like you are all children?

Quote: "commercial 3d action/adventeur hack n slash game
"

maby leave that part out as well untill it actualy does go commercial.

Id abandon this thread and get it locked ...then make a new one that leaves that part out.
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 09:37
Quote: "Get your game finished....and dont worry about this thread."

um, that would defeat the purpose of w.i.p thread.......

RAMPAGE STOLE MY CHEEZ-ITS!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 14:50 Edited at: 21st Aug 2008 14:53
Id abandon this thread and get it locked ...then make a new one that leaves that part out. "

actually i didnt say not to have a wip thread....i said to make a new one that leaves out the word commercial....you know how easily that word affends people in these forums these days.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 15:09
I agree. Just drop this thread, NO ONE will take you seriously with it. Please wait until you've got something we can all look at an talk about, something we can actually give decent feedback about. Then wait till we're impressed before mentioning commercial. And Post it on the WIP board. By that time this thread could be just a memory. Seriously, there are so many people that post what we saw in the first page, and they all get flamed. Anyone who's been here a bit is tired of it. I used to defend these types of posts, an it was never worth it.

Quote: "That was really dumb. Thats the only word for it sorry."

Tru dat.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 16:00
Alright, I won't post on this thread again. I will leave it to get farther back in the pages in the game design theory board.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 22:12 Edited at: 21st Aug 2008 22:16
Quote: "LISTEN TO ME. THERE WILL BE NO MORE BAD CRITS ABOUT BEASTES WEBSITE OR COMPANY. IT WILL BE A GREAT GAME, IT IS A GREAT WEBSITE, AND WHEN HIS COMPANY BECOMES FAMOUS I WILL BE LAUGHING AT YOU AND YOU WILL BE CRYING AND STILL LIVING WITH YOUR PARENTS.
IM GETTING SICK OF PEOPLE ALWAYS SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT OTHER PEOPLES WORK MAYBE ITS YOUR OPINION BUT IF YOU AINT GOT NOTHIN NICE TO SAY DONT SAY IT AT ALL. I MEAN WHATS WRONG WITH YOU, ITS CLEARLY A GREAT SITE, AND GOING TO BE A GREAT GAME!
you people are just jealous.."

Oh great, Frankie having one of his little outbursts again? Grow-up. And maybe if you have nothing good and actually smart to say then don't say stupid idiotic comments. And you are just making yourself look stupid.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 16:22 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2008 16:25
Frankie,
Are you whining?
If you can't handle what people post about your games then you are in the wrong business.Who the heck do you think is going to buy them?Great marketing strategy...piss off your future customers...great way to rake in the sales...
It's the freakin' internet...get over it.Either you can handle what people are saying about it or don't post about it.
If you don't want people's opinions then start your own forums or blog or whatever.Around here people speak their mind.

Quit bugging people and DON'T POST IN ALL CAPS.IT IS INCONSIDERATE and bad forum manners (and annoying).
And...don't think because I mod the FPSC forums that I can't reach out and slap the noob right out of you.
I would suggest you figure out some way to coexist with others (and get that CAPS LOCK button unstuck).

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 20:43
You tell him Fred! lol I say slap him anyway for that stupid post.
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 05:46 Edited at: 29th Aug 2008 06:25
Alright, everyone stop talking about Frankie.

[Note from Fred P:
You just earned a slap.You guys were told to drop this.Now do so.You and the others need to keep your other business on your other forums or elsewhere.]

Update
Website has undergone new overhaul and is updated for anyone to view. Go check it out and tell me what you think. Btw, I will be posting on this thread alot less, just keeping it open to look for any interesting comments/ideas to add to my game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-22 03:47:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-22 03:47:00