Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / OOP w/ DarkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 05:05 Edited at: 4th Mar 2008 15:07
You sure you don't feel I'm hijacking your thread? If I've overstayed my welcome - let me know! (No Problems!)

I wanted to post that I've managed to get some really cool moving sky's without a sky shader - and they are starting to look better than my first screenie... here.. I'll post one!

Also - I mentioned this - but I have my two HomeBrew Mesh classes ported - and they are great but today - while perusing my code - I found two of my four normalization routines (for normals) aren't working right However, I did some work on JGC_VMESH - and some general "cleaning" all over the OOP library so I can do another release soon - as I know Neils H. wanted to try out the terrain messhes. Well - look at the attached pic for a peek at JGC_VMESH and the Shaderless Moving sky!

[edit] I was looking at this picture compared to my previous one and the still shot of the Previous one looks better... however I must point out that when "moving around" the effect's flaws show up whenever the terrain is higher than the horizon while your moving toward it. You can see polys snap into the frustrum through the SKY Globe.

The picture I posted below - has a lamer looking terrain, actually never has the same flaw and ultimately looks better as the SkyDome is effected by fog like the terrain... so there is always a seamless appearance - and the clouds move... and the skyDome (frisbee shaped) give the illusion that the clouds are moving over you "flatly" not like you're inside a sphere so much. So, seeing is really the thing - so I'm getting closer to another complete library release.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 04:57 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 05:00
Forgive the Double Post Guys - I have just released MORE CODE!
http://code.google.com/p/darkgdkoop/downloads/list
@Neils - The Terrain Classes are in!

New Sky Classes - For Shader'd Moving Clouds in a Sky-Sphere (Thanx CuCumBer), and my own which uses a shaderless technique - which when blended with Stock GDK Fog... Well.. You'll see!

FullSize: http://www.jasonpetersage.com/darkgdkoop/darkgdkopp06VMesh_N_SkyDome.PNG

Over 12 Demo Programs!

Lots of Source Code
*.cpp

*.h

Classes

Well, as you can see, I've been busy. Let Me Know how it goes and what ya think!

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 08:30
@jason - that looks very good... I like the tree-billboards that changes to object when getting close.

I can see that I can learn ALOT from your code

Thank you very much....

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 09:08
Where to get SC_Collision?

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 13:24
Here ya Go Neils - Sparky's 2.03 for Dark GDK. I put the *.H in my DarkGDK "Include" dir, and the lib with th DarkGDK "lib" directory so its easy.

Attachments

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 13:47
I can compile it fine, but it won't run like last time...if you could post an EXE of it, that'd be really cool, just so I can see what it's like.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 14:03
Hmm.

Ok AndrewT - but it'll have to be tonight after work. I'll post a couple EXE's to go into the GameClasses folder - but what happens when you run it?

Remember - even though they aren't really integrated yet - it references Sparky's DLL and DarkPhysics (Demos use DarkPhysics a bit) Also... The New Terrain meshes have commented out code for ground height working with Sparky's but I commented it out because I want to revisit it and make a ground height "Solution" thats generic enough to be used anytime and toggleable - so if you wanted to use the terrain meshs for something not even connected to terrain you can.

They are powerful mesh classes... I think VMESH is NUTS Now! The UV Functions for example make it possible to have a "Texture" used for the whole thing draped - but you can override and control a limb, an entire object, say... to put a texture of an airport on it somewhere in the middle without ZFighting! Also UV reoutines to "Reset" the Entire mesh UV to how it WAS "UV_EntireMesh", plus the ability to Rest just a Object, or Just a Limb howit was, regardlesss of what object x,z or limb x,z you give it - it can be set to how it looked at creation - and you can even tweak the "reset" parameters for more tricks and stuff. You Can Scroll UV for the Whole thing, individual objects, and individual limbs (which is a stock darkgdk thingy for limbs but...)

Yeah Let me klnow what happens when you run it #1, #2, I'll get some EXE's posted for you in the Google download page this evening.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 15:00
I can run Foundation Classes fine, but Game Classes instantly closes with the message: "Game Classes.exe has stopped working".
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 16:08
AndrewT - Lest not forget this library Has References (Seeing how its a work in progress really) to Sparky's Collision DLL AND DarkPhysics. Even if the Library doesn't REALLY dig in to these yet - the Foundation has been laid.

(though I still need to integrate DarkAI like you are preparing to do on your Wrapper)

So - this in MIND - I SUSPECT You still don't have DarkPhysics, and this is preventing you from compiling and running the application even though you have the Ageia DLL's.

Therefore I'll post some EXE's Tonight and I think maybe it would be a good idea if I have some compiler directives that allowed you to Compile Stuff WITH and WITHOUT Physics and Sparky's compiled into the library.

Then I can Make it so you can "Use what ya got" and calling a call ... Say to JGC_DARKPHYSICS.Update() DarkPhysics - just doesn't do anything.

Likewise a Call like JGC_VMESH::GroundHeight(X,Z); Would return ZERO if you didn't have Sparky's. (Note this function currently is all remmed out in current release any way...no GroundHeight yet but... )

Does this sound like a good idea? I know how frustrating it is when you get source, it doesn't compile or WORSE - You case - it compiles then - - POOF. GRRR!!!! LOL

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 17:06
I have DarkPhysics, as well as Sparky's Collision.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 17:32
Try Debug mode and runing from with in the compiler. Email me a screen shot. I'm sure I could lick it if I could see it happen.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 17:57 Edited at: 6th Mar 2008 21:38
Okay, I ran from within the compiler. Apparently, something is going wrong with dbWriteMemblockDword( ).

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1903/errorso3.png
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 18:57
VISTA! Ahhh.... You may have more problems than this. I didn't test on Vista

Ok. See how that code has a STARTING and ENDING Comment about "Create Test Image"? Its an (on XP it works) example of INLINING MEDIA into the source code. Only a 32x32 bitmap in this case. Cut out that Block of code and make a test.bmp of your own. Place it in the media folder. Then this code Should work in its place:

(Free handing this ... might need a tweak or two)

That'll take case of that!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 19:03
Still doesn't work. The usual error pops up, and the program closes. I'm fairly certain now, though, that it's a Vista thing. Ah well, it's okay.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 19:10
Well... ITs OK for You! For me - its depressing. I don't blame you for not wanted to persue further... but on the slight chance that you get bored or something - keep hitting that thing with debugger. Maybe a few pics and emails - or a remote session could get to the bottom of the incompatbility. If we learn it - then we can develop accordingly - (dual dev - XP and Vista - Same Good Results).

Also - PLEASE confirm if you still want those EXE's, it'll take me an hour or so to put 12 EXE's online - and I don't mind if you WANT them. (Kinda curious if they AT LEAST run when COMPILED on XP and run On VISTA NOW!)

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 19:37
Really, it doesn't matter. If ya wanna put up just one to test it, that'd be cool, but it doesn't matter much. I can study your code without testing it.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 00:51 Edited at: 6th Mar 2008 00:54
Quote: "Really, it doesn't matter."
No?

Quote: "If ya wanna put up just one to test it, that'd be cool, but it doesn't matter much."
It Doesn't?

Quote: "I can study your code without testing it."

What Fun is that?

Here Bro! (And everyone) A full gambit of precompiled executables. NOTE: No MEDIA in this BINARY download. Grab the Full file to get the media. Then grab these EXE's and place them in the GameClasses Directory where the source code files are. (That way it'll work for ya) The Physics DLL's have been included as an extra measure.

Link: http://code.google.com/p/darkgdkoop/downloads/list

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 02:33 Edited at: 6th Mar 2008 03:08
Very cool! They worked! All except for test_jgc_meshv_uv, which closed like the original one did for me. The terrain was veryyy cool!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 03:24
Excellent News!

Bummer about test_jgc_meshv_uv though! That one demonstrates those cool UV routines I made and the contruction architecture of this mesh. Nothing Flashy like a big scene... nope... just that "Wired" in Test Image on a VMesh, quite small, with the "Object Separators" and the "Limb Separator" set so you can easily spot an object, versus a limb.

I've attach a mosaic image so you can see what that test program tries to illustrate.

1: Poly Arrangement - I coined "Diamond Tile" Layout. Visigoth convinced me its better than a bunch of squares made of two poly triangles.

2: VMesh allows you to have one or more "Terrain" (or whatever you want really) made of a checkerboard of Objects... which you define how many X & Z.

3: Inside Each Object you can have limbs, again a checker board which you define how many limbs X and Z per Object.

4: Inside Each Limb there are CELLS. You can define how cells per limb X and Z HOWEVER Due to the symetry of this entire "system" you MUST use EVEN NUMBERED CELLS for the X,Z values you pass to the CreateMesh function. Failure to due so presents some strange artifacts. Each COMPLETE "Diamond Tile" consists of 2 Cells (X) Across, and 2 Cells (Z) deep.

5: The Default UV setting when you create a mesh is the TEXTURE you supplied being STRETCHED across the ENTIRE VMESH (objects and limbs) without seams! (Like Advanced Terrain Kinda) The function that is called to do this is useable anytime but the default call parameters are: function UV_EntireMesh(1,1,0,0); Or UScale=1, VScale=1, UOffset=0. VOffset=0.

6: You Can Set ANY OBJECT or LIMB individually with functions like UV_ObjectSet(ObjX, ObjZ, UScale, VScale, UOffset, VOffset) and UV_LimbSet(ObjX, ObjZ, LimbX, LimbZ, UScale, VScale, UOffset, VOffset)

7: THE COOL PART (Especially for writing an Editor or changing terrain appearance in game is that you Can RESET JUST an OBJECT, or JUST a LIMB, and its done in such a way that it put just the specified object or limb in the mesh back to how the UV was when UV_EntireMesh was called. (Again though, you can really play hard because they all take UV slace and offset parameters. It's really hard to put in words just how flexible this make this.

With the UV routines I have in JGC_VMESH, its simple task to use one texture draped across a WHOLE terrain and just replace "chunks" of that texture with some other texture that blends in nice but say... is an airport, or a road. No ZFIGHTING trying to put a plain over an object, no shader required, and you can do this to a few or a bumnch - eliminating the need for some HUGE texture that has all your roads drawn on it etc. Good for creativity and used wisely, good on video memory.

So anyway, I think its funny that the most boring looking demo program is actually showing one of the most powerful and useful slew of functions in the system. These are the easiest highlevel functions for UV I've seen around the camp and also the most powerful in terms of ready made game creative flexibility.

I always wanted to put higer res textures with detail just in certain places on a terrain.. without limit to what colors, blah blah (shaders usually have fixed number of texture for splatting etc) and now WE have something that will do it readily.

...sorry if I'm a little enthused...

Attachments

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 03:32
Coool! I tried to make my own terrain system but it didn't get very far.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 03:48
Don't feel bad! they are a ...um... they are tough.

I couldn't have done it without a lot of DRUELING at others work, reading alot of the Ultimate Terrain, Huge Terrain, USGS Terrain threads... shoot... like you. I JUST WANTED MY OWN but I avoided Memblock Meshes like the Plague!

Now I'm MUCH more open to vertex busting (technical term) LOL.

There are some seriously complex parts, and some REALLY EASY PARTS.

I Actually like writing them... but trying to go back and work on the actual MESH CONSTRUCTION after you put it down awhile... regardless how clean the code is...for me is similiar to starting over.

Its one of those things where you spend hours getting one texture to look right across your mesh, or trying to get verts to move how want... and the hardest... Getting Various POLY LAYOUTS to work correctly with the lighting but then once you got it... you GOT IT usually for ANY SIZE mesh or a system of them like VMESH (Though the System part adds its own complexities.)

Terrain and MEsh Lightning - WOW - Cool and Stinks same time!
"Normalizing Normals" is the common term. There are more than one school of thought for this (Normalizing isn't ALWAYS what you may want). We are often told: Weld Your VERTS but FLAT SHADING looks really cool for some things and Guess What? you can't FLAT SHADE a WELDED Vert Mesh! You can Average normals (Gheroud Shading...no I don't care about how you spell it) and there are other methods which give a very "relaxed" lighting effect (less shadowed areas).

So... I wouldn't give up though. I think its a great exercise in HOW ALL this 3d junk ties together... also - this IS DEFINATELY one of those areas where readin someone else's code is good for ideas - but you should hunker down and try to make ONE POLY. Then a SQUARE... Then a small GRid, Then Deform it, then make shadows (normals) work. Time Well spent because even if you don't master it (I haven't) you have a MUCH better understanding (in my opinion) of certain terms people mention, why things act how they do, you learn some math that actually as mind blowing as it is starts to be fun to wrestle with. I don't know... I think you should give it another whirl!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 03:59
Heh, I would try again, but I don't think that it would end up any differently than my last. My last one supported: Heightmap Reading, a Base Texture, a Detail Texture, a Detail Texture UV Scale...and that's it. I didn't even manage to get it seperated into several limbs for culling.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 04:05
So did you need a shder to mix the multiple textures? I need to add that. Only thing I've seen is shaders to do that. I want to figure out how to light map a shadow map across the terrain and have one of those DETIL textures myself. Could ya toss something myway?

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 04:13
I've attached a shader by Green Gandalf; that's the one I used. It's really basic and only allows for two texture layers, but hey, it works.

Attachments

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 04:36
Thanx. This helps confirm my theory. You can't meld textures without a shader

Shader = No GDK Fog ... therefore I resort...to... SHADERLESS TEXTURE BLENDING!

(Think "Burned in shadows" and you have my technique described in full.. less a light map)

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 12:54
Good luck! Shaderless texture blending...not gonna be easy.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 13:11
YEah I Know... Shaderless Texture Blending won't be easy - but I have a Lerp Function that should help

86 Downloads of the Win32 Binaries in 12 hours! WOW!
I hope you people read the Description - "No Media" and in order to use the EXE's you need the Wrapper Download - as it contains the media!

1: Download the Wrapper Download AND the BINARIES -
2: Unzip the Wrapper one,
3: Put the EXE's into the GameClasses Directory with the source code
4: Now they should run!

@Andrew - thanx for checking them out.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 21:17
No problem, I'm definitely getting some ideas on what to do next w/ my wrapper.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 21:34
(Bro, could you scale that screen shot down about 3/4 of its current size? Maybe upload it to the forum versus a linked image?)

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 21:37
You mean the one taken in MSVC++?? Sure.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 21:51
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 23:59
No problem!

I think that I'm gonna begin working on adding some of my own features not included in the DGDK Engine to the Wrapper such as...

-An LOD class that allows to load multiple objects and hide/show them depending on your distance to them (similar to your LOD trees).

-A Billboard class--once again, similar to the billboard trees you use.

-A Water Surface class, height, and normal map, which is automatically scrolled across the mesh.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 00:15
Excellent. I'm glad my code is helping ya!

#1 LOD - Awesome - Remember - Each Object Might need an Adjustment.. for example the trees are models with the "center" at the base of the trunks pretty much. Wonderful... but the billboard centers (just Planes) are GDK Stock, and therefore in the center.. So My Point is when I switch from Model to Billboard, I have the ability to "adjust" the XYZ so "line them up" and minimize popin - the constant EVIL enemy... (Which I like more than slow FPS LOL)

#2 BillBoard - Notice in my code how I made them all in the same class more or less.... at least the "info" I would need is in the object class. Also note I hardcoded 3 levels of LOD... you may want more, less, or more dynamic. Have a blast! I made it so the frustrum culling does the actual billboarding but it DOES NOT have to be this way. I did it because I personally always will have frustrum culling in one flavor or another, so I figured it was a good place to billbaord because the billboarding would work only when it was worth it - via frustrum.

Water Surface Class - MAN I HOPE YOU KICK BUTT HERE! I always have a ZProblem when I try to add a water plain and fly up high in a heli for example... even close up - its always a little....um... Let's just say I'm REALLY looking forward to see what you come up with here! Remember, Shader and Shaderless (But thats my No-Shader Bias Talking LOL... Or more precisely my "Too slow for shaders" gfx card.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 01:15 Edited at: 7th Mar 2008 01:36
LOD: Ya, I figured that if the LOD models that are loaded aren't aligned correctly, I'd have to figure a way to fix it. I'm planning on handling the LOD like this:

...where 'SetBaseObject' sets the default model, and the second float parameters set the distance at which the LOD models get activated. For instance, with the above setup; the 'Base' model, so to speak would be shown if you were within 30.0 units. The first LOD Stage would be shown if you were withing 60.0 units but farther than 30.0 units. And the last Stage would be shown if you were within 100.0 units but farther than 60.0 units. If you're farther than 100.0 units, the object disappears. Obviously, the first parameter of each is the object to use as an LOD model. Then, in your main loop, you'd just use:

...to update the LOD stages.

Billboarding: I figured this would be pretty easy, I'll just use something along the lines of...

...where 'img' is simply an ITexture pointer of the image you want used for the billboard.

Water Surface: I figured this'll be the hardest for me, as I've almost no experience with shaders, and I'll have to deal with a lot of the bugs I've seen in water shaders. I'm not looking for anything like HL2-quality water, just some basic reflection w/ normal mapping.

::EDIT::

Woot! Got billboards workin'!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 04:47
Quote: "Woot! Got billboards workin'!"
Excellent!

remember to make the object light etc stuff close enough so billboard to model and back... or any LOD for that matter doesn't have a major color jump.

I had (some EXE's still have) some Places where I forgot to do this... and the FAR (low poly) is MUCH darker than up close.. (tanks do this in some demos)

Tonight I added the ability to Move the VMESH around so you can even tile those if you wanted, I integrated GroundHeight, and I just brought over a Speedometer I made in last lib... its not a class or anything yet... but its there. It averages - so its closer to analog'ish which is nice.. (You can actually read the numbers that way due to built in Speed needle lag) Because I'm now using DBPro Unit = 1 meter.. the defines I have in the jgc_common.h file allow me to easily do MPH, KPM, feet per hour, meters whatever. same for ground height, altitude and Distance above ground.

I've been thinking towards me soon to be editor - and decided to work Quasi-Voxel in first... then some "Tree" configurations - so I can make them all part of the editor.Quasi Voxels are recycled "objects" to appear as grass, bushes, etc. The demo I have uses a bitmap to build a memblock, and as you move around, the position is translated to somewhere in the memblock. This decides what folliage to rend... and even make roads LOD in as you near them. I think a system of this integrated into the OOP stuff will be cool.. couple parameters, couple folliage models/textures, I think it'll be neat. also going to make it better than the demo I have by making it so you can FLATTEN stuff... Like drive a tank though grass.. maybe a different gfx for crumbled grass... leaving a trail that "Stays" as well as making flattening a bush with a tank possible.

Dunno - let me start with the basics. The reason I want it to part of the Wrapper as a cool thing you can use is so that it's simple task to whip up some terrain, and add plant life with a few commands.. think it will be worth the effort.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 12:55
Quote: "'ve been thinking towards me soon to be editor - and decided to work Quasi-Voxel in first... then some "Tree" configurations - so I can make them all part of the editor.Quasi Voxels are recycled "objects" to appear as grass, bushes, etc. The demo I have uses a bitmap to build a memblock, and as you move around, the position is translated to somewhere in the memblock. This decides what folliage to rend... and even make roads LOD in as you near them. I think a system of this integrated into the OOP stuff will be cool.. couple parameters, couple folliage models/textures, I think it'll be neat. also going to make it better than the demo I have by making it so you can FLATTEN stuff... Like drive a tank though grass.. maybe a different gfx for crumbled grass... leaving a trail that "Stays" as well as making flattening a bush with a tank possible. "

Whoa! Sounds awesome! The whole 'flattening bushes' thing sounds sweet! I'm gonna start LOD tonight when I get back from school.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 15:00
It does sound sweet but the more I think about it - the more I think (considering the size of the landscapes) It will have to have a "time duration" for grass, and for bushes and small trees or whatever, it will simply be a matter of exchanging one model for another.

Back to grass... it will be similiar to "bullet decals" that fade over time and are reused.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 22:21
Woo! Got LOD working. Easier than I thought it would be. It supports up to five stages of LOD, and is pretty basic for now. But it works!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 00:14
AWESOME! It was fun to do ... ADMIT IT! LOL

Good Job!

BTW - 5 LEVELS? Bet in practice you rarely use more than two! LOL... At least until the newness wears off

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 17:33 Edited at: 8th Mar 2008 17:34
Quote: "AWESOME! It was fun to do ... ADMIT IT! LOL "

Lol, ya, it was, a lot better than I thought it'd be.

Quote: "BTW - 5 LEVELS? Bet in practice you rarely use more than two! LOL... At least until the newness wears off "

Ya, I know, but it was so easy to add the extra levels, I thought I might as well. But ya, I'll probably use a High-Poly model for base, Low-Poly for stage 1, then a billboard for stage 2.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 19:37
Update

You can find the latest update in my first post. The newly added features include LOD Objects, Billboard Objects, and basic sound support.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 23:06
Yup! Now I'm gonna start workin' on shader support. But rather than supporting the loading and applying of *.FX files right from the start, I'm gonna try and start by implementing some built-in normal mapping and what not. As far as the water surfaces go, I'm going to *attempt* a shader-free implementation. I'm not going for anything uber-realistic, just something like a couple ghosted plains stacked above and below one another, each one with textures scrolling at different speeds.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 23:10
Toss in a little bit of vertex manipulation, and you might be one to some SWEET waves

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 23:11
Sounds great! I'll see what I can do.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 23:28
I'm creating a prototype of my idea in blender right now, we'll see how it turns out.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 02:04 Edited at: 10th Mar 2008 12:59
Sorry for the triple post, but I've finished (nearly) my water surface class. I've attached a little demo to my post. Tell me what ya think! There's definitely imporvements to be made, but I'll do that later. I know it isn't realistic *at all*, but I was just trying for something shaderless that resembled moving water.

::EDIT::

I made a little update to the demo.

Attachments

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 05:01
I Just saw the Water. I PERSONALLY LOVE IT!! Decent Effect, No Heavy Shaders... WOW BRO! I like it! I Might use that for my "No Water Shader" Option (My personal Default cuz my pc isn't so fast) LOL ... If its Ok with you! I Like the multilayer thing.. I think I could take that and add some various color changes to match whatever sky etc... very cool.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 12:47
Thanks! I'm not ready to post a new update yet but if you're interested, this is the IWaterSurface class:

And this is the 'NewWaterSurface' function:

Basically, I just create a plain, get the mesh and add a couple limbs, then offset them. Then, I texture the plains and in the 'Update( )' function the textures are scrolled every frame. If you choose, you can specify how much they scroll individually.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 20:06 Edited at: 11th Mar 2008 20:06
Simple yet effective. Do you know why from above you can see down into the layers, but from below its so opaque?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 23:22:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 23:22:50