Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Worlds Apart

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2008 20:42 Edited at: 28th Sep 2008 20:44
Well that issue is not important anymore because i am going to make it so my spaceship has to hyperspace to other planets in my solar system.

Any updates on Worlds Apart?

When is a demo coming? I want to try it out

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2008 20:58
Is there going to be a demo?

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2008 22:46
There's a beta version coming. I'm having trouble with artists staying interested long enough to finish a ship. I'll probably end up doing it myself for the beta, then maybe I can find an artist that will take the project a little more seriously.

So far I've got the level loading code working, the flight system is about 99% done, the economy and contract system is about 80% done, and the next obstacle is the AI system for NPC control.

The beta will be simplistic, but enough to get an idea of where the game is headed. I'll see if I can get some screenshots of the current version posted this week.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 23:56 Edited at: 1st Oct 2008 01:42
New Storyline - All opinions welcome.

Late 21st century - We've made some huge technological breakthroughs in manufacturing, power generation, medicine, and more. However we couldn't save the Earth from what we had unwittingly done to it. As the Earth moved out of the ice age phase it was supposed to be in during the mid 20th to mid 21st century, global warming escalated beyond our ability to control it. The Earth was dying and there was nothing we could do to stop it.

It was decided that there was enough time to build a fleet of 10 ships. Each ship would have a specific purpose, such as growing food, raising animals, recycling and reprocessing. Everything needed to sustain life in space for a long journey.

10 ships were unfortunately only going to be able to save 100,000. Humanity would be saved, but the rest of the population of Earth would be left behind. A lottery was held, and those that were chosen would make their way to Greenland where the climate was still tolerable, and where the transports were supplying the ship builders with the materials they needed.

The last transports headed for the ships with the last few supplies, and as they docked the ships began their journey.

The closest solar system with the possibility of having a habitable planet was Alpha Centauri, so that was the course they set. 122 years after leaving Earth, something appeared in their path. It was identified as a spacial rift 0.3 light years away, and it was pulling them towards it. There was nothing they could do, and the entire fleet was pulled in.

Passing through the rift was instantaneous, and on the other side there was no sign of the rift. The ships came to a stop to make sure there was no damage, and they soon realized they were nowhere near where they had been when they entered the rift, but even more serious was that 4 of the ships were missing. They had been taken somewhere else by the rift, and there was no way to know what happened. The 6 remaining ships waited for 7 days and scanned the area searching for the lost ships, but there was no trace found.

After conducting long range scans, and mapping out the stars, they were able to determine that they had been transported 7,500 light years to another arm of the milky way galaxy. They were also able to detect the closest solar system, and it appeared to have at least 1 habitable planet.

78 years later they arrived in what is now known as the Solan system. The Earth-like planet Solana became their new home. 2 other planets in the system, Dakar and Arcada, had breathable air but harsh conditions.

It's now 150 years after the discovery of Solana. Corporations have been created to form the base of an economy, and stimulate expansion and exploration. Mining colonies have been established on Dakar and Arcada to mine materials that would damage the environment on Solana.

The economy of this new civilization is only now forming as manufacturing facilities are being built, and supply chains are being established. The largest need right now is for cargo transport captains. You have been provided with a small transport ship capable of hauling a 10,000 cubic foot cargo pod. Your job is to travel from planet to planet and fill the cargo contracts posted by the Corporations. You'll earn credits for your completed contracts, and will have the ability to purchase larger ships as you gain experience.

Good luck.

That's basically the storyline for the beta version I'm working on now. There will be other aspects added to the game, but this is the primary basis for the game. (at least for now)

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice new storyline

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 03:08
I've reposted a copy of the above storyline to the 1st post in this thread, and added some screenshots of the upcoming beta.

The beta is probably about 2-3 weeks away.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 19:45
Quote: "Darn, dude, you just took the pace out of the joke - the idea was that you reply in a similar way, so I could reply in a similar way, so Grandma could make a lame reply and we could end up keeping a good-looking space-simulation high in the WIP boards!"

Me? Making a lame reply? That's absurd! I don't even need to write anything. As long as it's by me, the post automatically becomes very insightful and overall good.

Looking forward to the beta.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 00:48
Bump.

For the release of the beta.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 16:31 Edited at: 19th Oct 2008 16:33
Just registered, but i cant download
im logged in and when i click the download a "authentication required" inputbox pops up and i enter my name + password but it doesnt work...

Edit: oh i guess its ready for downloading by tommorrow? (20th Oct?)

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 16:43
You know, while I like the storyline: a lottery? Whá? Wouldn't we select the 'lucky ones' by extensive testing, fertility and health, susceptibility to disease and psychological checks?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 20:30
Even with those methods, there would be a high percentage of cheating, payoffs, unreliable testing, or the accusation of favoritism. With a lottery, everyone has an equal chance, and there would (at least potentially) be less of a chance of an all out war happening over it.

Besides, it worked in the movie Deep Impact..

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 18:19
Bump.

For the release of Beta 4.

- Totally rewritten login sequence
- Added Combat !!

and many more little fixes.

timmie124
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 04:03
hey i downloaded and registered your game and I'm missing a dll dxdx9_38.dll
i googled couldn't find it
and Ive been wanting to see a mmo completely ran on DBPro coding

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 09:53
Quote: "hey i downloaded and registered your game and I'm missing a dll dxdx9_38.dll
i googled couldn't find it"

I also had this problem, but I found the dll on dll-download.com or something like that. I attached the dll for you so you don't have to search for it. Just unzip this dll and put it in the Worlds Apart Online folder and you should be good to go.

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 18:15
You can also download the latest DX9 end user runtime library from the downloads page on my website here.

That should take care of any missing files, and it's safer then the dll download sites where you don't always know what you're getting.

The beta is continuing quite well. Major updates to the game have occured in the last month or so, and some more major changes are on their way soon. The holidays kind of put a kink in production time with family coming into town. Things will likely be back in full swing after the first week in January.

timmie124
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 08:00
playing the game
it was great but maybe a little F2 help menu and a /players command be nice so i can see who's online

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 22:07 Edited at: 5th Dec 2008 22:09
@timmie124

in-game help is planned. in the meantime, i put together some documention for WAO on the kistech forums:

Getting Started DOC - Registration, Installation, etc.

Playing The Game DOC - Uh, Playing The Game

i believe you'll need to be logged in to the forums to view 'em.

hope that helps

Virtual Nomad . California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 15:34:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 15:34:57