Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / [LOCKED] New at this stuff!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello! My name is Jeff, I am currently in school going for a bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems, I am nearing my first year, just getting my basic courses out of the way so I can save my fun programming classes for last. I am very excelled in the hardware and knowledge of a computer and what not, but this Visual Studio and C++ world is all VERY new to me.

I downloaded the free GDK off this page and I decided to follow the tutorials to help get my feet wet and ready for school. I have Visual Studio 2008, plus all of the Express editions of the Visual 2008 Express world.

After getting my first tutorial started, where you create the project; \"Hello World\" I ran into a quick issue and I dont know what to do. When I first open the project and hit Debug like it says, I get the black box, which is good. The second part has you put in the animatedsprite.png that has 16 globes with Hello World! wrapping around them, then the tutorial says to hit Debug again, and I see the first globe plus about half of the next... Through the third and final fourth step it says you should see only one globe on the third and it should rotate on the fourth step of hitting Debug. I have checked my code over and over and I even copied the correction code off the tutorial, but all my debug will show is the step two with the first globe and half of the next. I cant get it to show anything else.

Also on the 2nd Tutorial about 3D objects, when I hit debug to see the already build model, it comes up with the black box that says \"Now loading, please wait...\" And that is all it does, when the tutorial says it should just open up some figure of a man.

I have a new HP DV2410US, Vista Ultimate Upgrade, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD, AMD Turion64, NVIDIA card and all that stuff, so the computer keeps up great, but I dont know what to do to fix this issue. I turned off the User Account Control cause I heard that might be why, but I still have no luck.

Sorry this is so long, but I really need help. Thank you!

J.Doan
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 22:11
You could find more help at the programming talk board.
Welcome to the forum!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 05:06
Actually GDK has its own board

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
2GB Ram and 160 GB HD isn't a lot.

Might be some laoding errors, try cleaning up your computer?

Also here is a VERY good Tutorial on C++, I'm using it right now!

http://www.learncpp.com/

13 Chapters of knowledge plus after each chapter and some lessons it has a Quiz to make sure you got it, id you don't. You can just look back at the chapter again.

Grrrr you ALL!
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 12:00
Ha yeah I forgot.
THE GDK board.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:45:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:45:15