Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Sprites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok im srry for asking a noob question but can i draw my graphics and scan them in and use them in dbpro and if i can how do i animate them in dbpro and if i cant do it in dbpro how do i animate them in general.the details are simple im making a game like castlevania and im trying to pull off making my own graphics so i can have anything in the game i want to.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 16:36
You can load in a sprite sheet, specify the dimensions, then set a sprites frame, loop the animation etc. You should look at the help docs on sprite animation really.

But...

Personally I'd load in and grab each image, then have my own animation system that would allow me full control over timing and transitions. You would need some sort of animation handling anyway, so why not work with grabbed images and build your own system. I'd start by making an animation array, like decide on the maximum amount of anims a single character can have, say 32 is a good round number, then I'd make a type for that, storing...

Start frame image
End frame image
Loop mode
Speed

Dimensioning a typed array for each character type in the game (including the player etc), and for each animation, you can concentrate on making a flexible system to handle this - then when it comes to changing the animation, you can just change the current animation ID and let your system do the busy work (like setting the image frame if it's outside the loop).

For all the diverse and quirky animations in Castlevania I think it makes sense to be quite strict and controlled about them.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
MaraBane
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a lot i think i get ill have to try it out

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:07:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:07:43