Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Play Basic want opinions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Me and a friend (who is a awesome artist) are going to make a 2d space game and wanted to know whats better DBP (which i own) or play basic for a 2d top-down RTS/space trading game? it will only have RTS elements like being able to build your own stations and place them in sectors...So what is YOU'RE opinion on play basic vs. DBP? I know you can enhance PB though the use of DBP as well...

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 10:07 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2010 00:28
Quote: " Me and a friend (who is a awesome artist) are going to make a 2d space game and wanted to know whats better DBP (which i own) or play basic for a 2d top-down RTS/space trading game? it will only have RTS elements like being able to build your own stations and place them in sectors...So what is YOU'RE opinion on play basic vs. DBP? "

2D is the key word here. What I find is that often people use 2D, they actually mean 2.5D.

If the game is viewed from a top/down view point (over the map) and the camera zooms/rotates then we're moving from a purely '2D' scene to a '2.5D' scene. You can do 2.5D in any version of PlayBASIC. However, how difficult it is really depends upon what version of the product you're using.

If the game never rotates/zooms the scene, the player only scrolls the scene, then this is most likely tradition 2D scene. Which is easily represented with a MAP in any version PlayBasic.

There are two editions that are currently available. PBV1.63 (Which uses Direct Draw for rendering from DirectX and is best suited to real 2D projects) and PB1.71 which uses the Direct3D, and is more suited to 2.5D->3D applications. But it's not complete (no docs), and therefore only betas are available to customers.

We're just re-released a new demo replacement of PB called the learning edition. It's cut down from the Retail editions, but has more than enough functionality for you to tinker with implementing your game ideas. And it's FREE.

PlayBasic V1.64 Learning Edition

Note: Current (as of 2010) Learning edition is V1.64

Quote: "I know you can enhance PB though the use of DBP as well..."

erm.. what ?

You can use pretty much any DLL with Retail Editions of PB. Even 3rd party engines. My recommendation is download the learning edition and have a tinker.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 14:21
Well, play basic is more advanced in 2D, but I strongly suggest you try the free edition like Kevin said, it will give you an impresssion of what it can do.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 05:30 Edited at: 7th May 2008 05:54
Nice didn't know there was a free "learning" edition, i'll have a go at it...

[edit]

Does PB work well on Vista?

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 09:48
Yes, I use it on Vista myself.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Good to know =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 00:28:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 00:28:48