Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / RTS Games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 09:33
Does anyone have any idea on how to make an RTS?

Cheers

The Lords of all Darks in the Jazza :S
Uh.. I meant! The Lord in the Dark called JAZZA
Fear me as I am now Death!!
waka324
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh my...

A good Idea is to post what you know (or think you know), then ask for suggestions/improvements. You may also wish to state your skill level, and code base, as ANY game involving a MOVING map can take some time to master.

First off... I would recomened reading about scripts so that you can plan ahead for altering units'/buildings' strength, armor, sprites, etc.

If this is PURELY 2D, and not something like 2.5D (think warcraftIII and C&C Gennerals) then you should consider a tilled map, using a trigger/event system such as one found in Red alert 2.

If it is 2.5D, you would build a map in a 3D editor, and construct all your units in 3D as opposed to spriting.

Next you need to plan ahead and decide if this is going to be single, multiplayer, or both. Decide now, because otherwise a lot of work will be wasted if you change. Single player would use action/event scripts for acheiving set goals, opposing a scripted AI wich is then your biggest worrry. I will tell you right now, multiplayer would be EXTREEMLY difficult to create on your own, as are most online games.

As some may point out to you, there is a LOT more than what I have down here, but these are some of the obstacles you will face.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 11:44
Have you tried the search feature?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2008 04:12
Go to the Newcomer's Corner, click on the sticky at the very top of the board, and do a Ctrl+F for "RTS"

Los Mineros are back in progress!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:02:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:02:36