Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Game Server For Something Like NexusTK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am trying to create a 2d game like NexusTK and i was wondering how and where i could find a server to run things on. Im new to the whole online server based game thing.

Any help?
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 19:04
You'll probably here this from everyone on this forum at least once: you should NOT make your very first project an MMO!

I know that's what everybody wants to do when they start game programming, but it just isn't going to work out. I'm betting that NexusTK was made by at team of no less than 10 very experienced programmers and artists. Even if you plan to form a team, you really need to try a simpler game first so you know what DarkBASIC really is capable of doing.

And don't plan on just getting a team together so you don't need to know anything about programming: I've found that when making team requests, people who are good programmers and have already laid out at least some of the game's structure are almost always successful in getting a team, while people who are just "leading the team" or "designer" almost always get locked and flamed.

From your other post, I assume you're going to be an artist. Now, if you are as good as David Gervais and you can make the majority of the sprites you'll need for the game, then post them and you may have some success in your team request.

Just some friendly advice, so you don't end up wasting a lot of time
flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
@Antix- if your trying to create a 2d MMO with your own server I recommend the SOTA Engine
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131589&b=4

It comes with its own server...I have it..its a good program, there is a $17 dollar version and a $50 dollar version.

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 23:09
The workings of a server are not as simple as they sound, A client is merely a shell, and the server is the whole core of the game/program.

The server will have to do and check every action you want the client to handle, and it takes alot of work to make an efficient server.

I useually make servers by doing a few steps:
1)Set up client TCP code
2)Set up Server TCP code
3)Tweak untill they connect
4)Send simple data from client to server, and vice versa
5)Make a message function/sub/whatever, which will handle all your messages
6)Make messages parsable
7)Add some logic to it
8)well, the list goes on.

It can be done by a single men, but its alot of work.

SOTA Engine
Purchase
Source and Non Source versions available!
flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
well POD I still cant figur out how to get people to connect ot my server

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:56:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:56:59