Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / DarkPhysics Cloth Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 18:16
Hi all,

Firstly, apologies, I'm new to DarkBasic Pro/Dark Physics, etc. but I've been coding for many, many years, mainly with C++, Blitz3D and more recently XNA (C#). But, recently, game-coding has become more of a hobby than work and hence I figured I'd give DBPro a try prior to DBPro X10 being release (fingers well and truly crossed).

Anyway, on to my problem. From what I can tell, I'm using the latest versions of all the required software/drivers for DBPro (DBPro v1.069, DarkPhysics v1.05 and nVidia's PhysX drivers v2.8.1), and while most of the demos work, I'm having difficulty with the "Make Cloth from Object" command.

I've tried code examples that supposedly work, I've tried my own code, and the error is always the same:

"Cloth with specified ID does not exist"

Not sure where I'm going wrong... anyone have any suggestions? I've even tried reinstalling everything from scratch, but to no avail. Haven't found a sticky or a thread that helps, but if I've missed something please point me in the right direction.

Many, many thanks for your help in advance, and it's great to be part of the DBPro community at last.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 19:19
like to post what you been doing then we can see what might be wrong.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Robin Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 19:24 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 06:35
Sure thing, here it is. As you can see, I'm just playing about at the moment. The syntax is quite unconventional so I'm probably making loads of mistakes. Anyway, thanks for taking a look.

Edit: already saw one mistake myself, so I changed the "phy build cloth 1" line to "phy build cloth 2". Still no luck though... aargh!

Edit: Actually, edited again - man, I suck at this. Still no luck; any ideas guys?
Robin Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 16:26
One thing I would add is that the 'vanilla' cloth functions appear to work just fine; it's just the "make cloth from object" function that is causing me problems. Still haven't got it resolved.

A couple of considerations that someone more experienced might be able to answer for me:

1. I don't have a PhysX card (using a 7900GT only) - given that I'm therefore running in software mode, and given that the basic cloth functions work, would this cause a problem?

2. Having checked the 'licensed-plugins', the DLLs there don't appear to match my PhysX software version. I am running PhysX software version 2.8.1, and the DLLs are all in the 2.7.x range. Is that likely to be the cause of my issue, or is this pretty standard?
Robin Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 17:24
Hang on a sec; I may have just had a minor seizure and come up with the answer myself...

Do I have to call a "make cloth ID" function to create the cloth object before calling "make cloth from object ID,object"?

I'll test this when I get back from work. If this is the case, then I'm clearly a spanner for not realising this sooner and may have to jab myself in the eye with a fork for being so stupid - clearly it would explain the "Cloth with specified ID does not exist" abuse I was getting from the compiler.
Robin Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 19:44
Bah, no luck.

Does anyone have any working code with the "make cloth from object" being used that they wouldn't mind sharing? i wouldn't mind testing with some 'control' code.

Thanks in advance.
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 18:17
I just tested the code above and it work for me.

dose it run at all for you?

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 20:54
Now all scream! the command 'phy make cloth from object' is still await an upgrade so that it works(1.05).

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 21:27 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 21:30
@ Robin Anderson:
I have been also playing with this "nice" command in my competition-entry and it works with primitives (box, sphere), but is a bit "crazy" with real objects (at least with mine)! It places them far from the position where the original object is placed!

The important thing when using this command is, that you are creating an ADDITIONAL 3D-object (so it seems to me) and therefore you use a separate object-nr for the cloth-object! (In my example: 3D_obj+1)
Very important is also that you hide your "original" 3D-object!
Also try out the primitive object actually out-commented! (That normally works for me well, but the "custom" loaded objects do really try to "get rid of you"! )

Here is my example code (only the cloth-part):

Maybe that helps, although some (set) commands are somehow non-logical (example 'set pressure': phy set cloth pressure cloth-ID, value# says the help file " value# -> new pressure level", but right below in the explanations it says "Use this command to set if this property has been enabled or disabled for the specified cloth object." What in my eyes mean 0 OR 1 and not a value that you can choose!)!

So have fun with it or get mad! (One of this will happen sooner or later!)

Hoozer

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-21 01:24:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-21 01:24:10