Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Getting an anti-alaised video mode?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 19:53
I am looking at my 3d super-shoot recently, and I just don't like the un-arcade feeling about it.

Sure, I haven't managed to texture my models yet, so everything is quite grey.. but I'm wanting to get a softened "video mode" look about it.

I was thinking of grabbing the whole screen by getting an image, then analysing every surrounding dot with a convolution filter technique, so I am in control of the look and feel of the finished "mode". Though don't know how to "get_pixel" in an image map. I have no idea how to do this yet.

Either that or arranging the screen's image to be put into a bitmap and using dbpro's bur function to soften the image, and displaying the bitmap over each rendered frame.

I know this isn't the 3d forum (my game is essentially 3d) but it's a 2d issue.

I'm also very new to Dark Basic as a whole so have no idea how to work with pixels independantly, or even how to create a bitmap after getting the screen image.

So coding help is needed please - this will be a good learning experience for me. Thanks.

StarCrypt - a classic vertical super-shoot in 3d
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You can make two models, one slightly bigger than the other, and put the bigger one on top of the smaller one. Then make the bigger one slightly transparent, and its pixels will work like AA.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 05:23
you can use two cameras. Make one render to an image with twice your screen dimensions, and the other camera takes a picture of this image textured on a plain, with filtering on- therefore each pixel is the average of 4.

I attatched something to show. Adapted it from something else. Sorry for messiness. Look around with the mouse and click to fly. Hold space to see what no AA looks like.

It's not proper AA- it makes jaggies about half as bad as they are normally- if you have a nearly horizontal or vertical line, the steps occur twice as often, appearing to be half as steep.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 11:50
Easier still would be to install the latest update and use the anti-aliasing flag on SET DISPLAY MODE

Square
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 17:55
Thanks for your suggestions.

I feel I could have read up an awful lot of these DBPro functions that have been mentioned - particuarly the DISPLAYMODE extra flags which I have no knowledge of!

Scraggle: Is there anywhere I can look this up? Or a short explanation please?

Where can I find the extra documentation for DBPro? There isn't a whole lot in the inline help files..

StarCrypt - a classic vertical super-shoot in 3d

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:39:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:39:09