Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Need a bit of help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just downloaded and tried out Dark Basic.I want to make a 2D RTS that looks 3d (if you've played age of empires you'll know what i mean.) I just have a few problems.

1:I have never programed before.(the tutorial tells me nothing.)

2:how do you make a 2d game look 3d?
Papa Stiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
1. That could be a problem, but one that can be overcome by some much needed practice.

2. Making a 2D game look 3D is all in the art. Also, make the map run in isometric, or diagonally(Age of Empire stylee)

This sounds like your first project, which is good, but don't set your hopes too high on making Age of Empires or Halo 3 in a week with no coding experience. Most begginner's(me included several years ago) always set there standards too high because of the lack of knowledge on exactly how long a game takes to make and the sheer amount of code needed. We've all gotten the speech as begginners to make the PONG game... now I'm not saying you have to do that, just realize it may take time to be coding with confidence(lame i know..)

Don't let this get your hopes down though. Start making small programs and practicing. Also, making the game look 3D is not what you should be worried about now... how about these things...

- Making the menu run(buttons for help, start, exit)
- Making the characters move(shooting, walking, going to the mouse_x/mouse_y)
- Don't get me started on AI... second game i ever made, the AI took me six months of coding... it was over a thousand lines of code.

Again, I really don't mean for this to stamp out your dreams of making a great game. This is just to bring your senses down to realizing where you are and your knowledge of what your doing. Hopefully after reading the above, that pong game might sound a little more appealing...

Got some time to kill...? [href]"http://www.theflasharena.com"[/href]
CK17
Years of Service
User Offline
ok. ty
Papa Stiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, again, please don't let that discourage you. I just wanted to ease the pain of finding out the hard way(like most of us have{me included}) which can lead to a usual traumatizing failure that leaves a bad taste of game creation in your mouth. Programming is great fun, just start small.

Got some time to kill...? http://www.TheFlashArena.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 10:29:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 10:29:02