Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Book? I hate book. Book is stupid. -- Remove the Banner Petition!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 01:59 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 02:00
Well, at least you didn't make a new thread about how *sob* you're leaving for ever and ever and never coming back! until next month.

Just chill out and don't take things so seriously...

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, like they should be.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 02:04
Quote: "I didn't see anything about this being a 30 year old + Forum either in the AUP. Sorry about that again. So I'll leave now. I don't want to take some of your precious time to write rants.
"

..and where does it say that? I'll let you know that there's a huge populace of <16s here, especially on the FPSC boards.....

Alot of people don't like text speak because it seems informal and lazy, If you request or wish to talk civilly to someone on the net, it's nice to use proper language, not grammar perfect, but at least nicely done.....

Also, the "smiling faces" one made me laugh alot, you're quite obviously some troll here to nit-pick at insignificant areas of his forum, so do you get pleasure in finding new and fresh smiles to flip around?

Anyway, no-one really cares about the banner thing to be honest, in my opinion, I don't actually look at the things and they could have in big red letters COFFEEGRUNT IS GAY, and I would be oblivious to them.......

Well, have a nice time causing misery on some other poor bugger's forum, please make sure you leave quickly though, we have banners to put up saying how much of an idiot you are......

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 02:05 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 02:07
[EDIT] Not reading this thread again.

My internet is not fast enough to double post.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 02:14
There should be a coffeegrunt is gay banner, just for the hell of it. Not that I can see banners... They don't come up for me.

But I was considering pulling a 'give me teh codez/book is stupid' but I'd probably get into trouble for it and get kicked off and I like it here so I don't want that to happen.

[ERROR 16: unable to retrieve user signature]
RalphY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 02:32 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 02:35
Quote: "I'll just leave you guys to your culture and visit some more... friendlier forum"

Funny none of the forums I browse accept 1337 speak or text speak. In-fact, I thought Deathead was quite polite in bring it to your attention. I know of a few forums were you would get smacked round the head with a ban hammer for typing like that in every post.

thr r3sn ppl dnt l1k3 it lol, 17 l00kz m322y, h4rd 2 r34d, 1z l4zzy, n sukz ROFLOMGLOLz!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!1!

[Edit] Forgot to include a smiley face .

Oh boy! Sleep! That's when I'm a Viking! | Super Nintendo Chalmers!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 02:35
Irojo mate, it's a little too easy to miss the tone of a conversation through the internet - so what may appear to be rude at first may not be actually rude and this is where miscommunications happen.

In general it is considered bad forum ettiquette to speak in short hard 'text' speak, it can considered rude in some cases, because it requires more difficulty for those reading - all it really asks is that people try to keep to standard English - it's not written down in the AUP because it's not a forum rule, it's just an internet thing - most 'respectful' forums you will find will have users expected the same kind of ettiquette (or nettiquette).

Of course you didn't know that, which is fine, hence people will remind you - some can be quite rude (best ignore it) but I think in this particular case you've misinterpreted the message...but we're all human eh?

It might appear odd that forums and such internet sites have ettiquette within its community, but you can imagine how messy and inaccessible language could be if we all started being 'lazy' with how we type, "I wnt 2 da pub las night", it can sort of like you can't be bothered really and it can hard to take seriously. Of course in moments you don't want to be taken seriously, like a joke, then OMG tis k.

But please note, you're not being flamed for doing it, just Deathead thought he'd point it out for you and well, I guess we're backing him up with explanations about the whole thing, so there should be no hard feelings from the community, right? Me ol' chum?

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 02:51
Quote: "Culture? "

Geek culture.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 02:58 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 03:00
Yes, I think Sepukku said it well. Even I, with English not really being my first language, try my best to write nice, correctly spellt words arranged in acceptable sentances. It's a bit inconsiderate to assume everyone can understand 1337 / txt or read it easily so at places where people might not be able to, it's just polite to consider them and write in a way that everyone can understand.

EDIT: lol @ Inspire

[UNERROR 16: able to retrieve user signature]
1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55... you like?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 04:16 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 04:18
Proper use of language is indeed age-old culture. You've already proven you master the English language pretty well; why rape it with shortened words or l33t sp34k? There are enough oddballs out there doing that thing, and they're not making the internet a better place.

Unless you have a reason to type poorly (being young, or dyslectic) you should just type your best. Shouldn't be too hard and costs you two seconds extra per post. If you're insane, like Seppuku Arts, you can also throw together a bunch of complex-sounding words and pretend it is a very important and deep oneliner that you use as signature.

I actually read the banners too. There are awesome ones among them too. I'm 19 years old, by the way. Never noticed a 30+ barrier around here.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 04:26 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 04:27
@Seppuku Arts- Thank you very much.

@Everyone-

Sorry. I've gotten kind of used to the shortened speak. I see it alot, and I kind of... get used to it... I find number speech annoying, and letter dropping speech annoying too. I guess I won't use stuff like 'ur','kk', 'ppl','sry',etc.

Sorry for flaming... I got a little annoyed, and I was already... cranky... and slightly emberassed for not knowing what the banned meant, So I flamed more then necessary (Not that it was necessary at all).

Thank you for your time, and if a mod would please lock this thread, or change the title to "Book? I hate book. Book is stupid. " that'd be appreciated. Thank you.

My internet is not fast enough to double post.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 06:12
Umm, well...
Wow guys, I'm kind surprised all the heat over this. It was addressed to me, and I'm not offended by it. "ur sig supposed 2 b" is the only slang part, it's no big deal. No need to wave the big SHUNNNNNNN signs around.

anyways:
Quote: "I've wondered for a while now; is the comic strip in your signature supposed to be funny, or is it supposed to be Bizar?"

It's an inside joke I have with a friend of mine. I think it's funny, and most people who don't know the real joke find it funny anyways. I would say Bizar is a definition I apply to all things I do, being a made up word I define it as being a particular quality all my work has.

And just for note, I also read the banners, particularly when the ones I made show up.

And I don't see why a mod needs to lock this.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 11:19
Quote: "If you're insane, like Seppuku Arts, you can also throw together a bunch of complex-sounding words and pretend it is a very important and deep oneliner that you use as signature."

Haha, Kant's a groovy dude and needs the proper recognition for saying things in the most complex way.

Irojo, no problem, we've all faced blind moments or moments where we haven't made the right interpretation. I think I remember a time when I took Megaton, Benjamin and Jimmy seriously.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 12:35
Lol, now that's a mistake.....

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 14:12 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 14:15
Wow, I didn't check the forum for a few hours and now I discover the aftermath of a miniature flamewar! It's good you made up though: it'd be a real shame to lose people from the forums over miscommunication (which is all too easy in an all-text method of communicating).

I liked this post:
Quote: "thr r3sn ppl dnt l1k3 it lol, 17 l00kz m322y, h4rd 2 r34d, 1z l4zzy, n sukz ROFLOMGLOLz!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!1!"

Oh, GOD, my BRAIN just ignited... *dies*

In all seriousness, though, I've always liked Standard English because there are so many things you can do with it and so many rules that can be broken in order to create different tones or connotations. (It's also my first language, so that's also a factor. ) T3xT Sp34k (oh, I feel guilty now) doesn't add much, and any time that I'd save typing "b4" instead of "before" is then spent figuring how to say that regular sentence in text speak anyway.

Quote: "Haha, Kant's a groovy dude and needs the proper recognition for saying things in the most complex way."

Utterly, shamelessly off-topic here - has anyone heard of Kierkegaard? I have an interest in changing societies and nihilism and I heard he had some interesting views in that area.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 14:20 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 14:25
Quote: "Utterly, shamelessly off-topic here - has anyone heard of Kierkegaard?"

I have heard of many "Kierkegaard's". That means graveyard/cemetery in norwegian... possibly danish too. What an awesome name.

Never knew anybody actually had that as a name. Reading up on the fellow now.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 14:58
Quote: "That means graveyard/cemetery in norwegian"

Hmm it's KyrkogÄrd in Swedish. Interesting. Yes. Very. Hmm. Carrot .

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 04:41 Edited at: 19th Aug 2008 04:49
haha, sorry that this is a little out of the blue here, but a coworker just showed me this funny rap song, and I thought of this topic, or more specifically, the "I hate book, book is stupid!" person.

Warning, there is quite a bit of swearing:
http://search.playlist.com/tracks/D'mite-Read%20a%20Book

Either one of the first two results will work.

Mountain Dew, happiness in a bottle.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 05:21
NO!!!! Curse you a million times! Let you never see brightness again!

Sorry. I thought the thread had died.

But lol about the song.

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres A Serge Adjo Banner Attached. Photoshop rocks

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:51:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:51:40