Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Problem with Moving Obstacles

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 20:20
Hey,
I have come across a problem with Dark AI in that I need to move obstacles, but don't know how to do this effectively. The reason I need to move them is for NPC's that are on a ship. They get on the ship perfectly fine, but then once it moves, I need to move the obstacle data with it. It doesn't need to be every loop, even just every few seconds would be fine. The problem is that I can't figure out how to do this fast and effectively. I tried making the ship a separate container and just removing and rebuilding the container every 120 loops, which works decently well, but there's a slight pause for maybe 1/10 a second which would be distracting and obvious. Anyone have any ideas how to do a moving obstacle effectively?

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 21:04
One way could be when you enter the ship you change the camera angle which allows you change the world space for the ship, then the camera goes back to where it should be after the first move.
then do the same again when leaving the ship. for the new world space.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 05:57
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean :S. What do you mean by world space?

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 13:33
World space is my way of saying the area you made for walking around in, your ground level where it all happens before you get on the ship.

So when you board your ship you make a new one which allows the ship to very big if you want, so if you leave the world you are on to another one, you no longer have to worry about the size and distance of them.

When you get to the new place load another area in.

_____A____ship___ to _____ship____ to ______B____ship__

walk run on level A
enter ship
walk run on ship level
land ship exit to level B
walk tun on level B.

if this does not help, post saying it not what you are after, can someone please tell me how to do request in the first post.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 00:14
But the problem is that getting on the ship is seamless, you literally just walk onto the deck of it and can still see everything else around you in first person.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 17:08
just had a thought have a look at the group command, seem to keep object together as they move, there a demo of this command in rigid body folder.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 23:51
This is an AI problem though, not Physics .

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 00:48
opps! is there not a group command for AI? as I am having fun re building the system after XP3 service pack chew around with it and have not got to downloading AI yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-21 07:35:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-21 07:35:01