Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics] How do I use the timer commands?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 22:47
I really don't understand how to use the timer commands in DP.
I would appreciate it if you shared any knowledge you might have regarding this.

The "PHY SET AUTO FIXED TIMING" will not perform as well on 60fps as it does on 100+ fps. Why, I don't know.

In the test I just wrote, you will be able to see that there is a long lag each time the fps drops to 60fps, and when it rise to 100+ fps (Depending on how high fps you can get on your computer).

Please feel free to experiment around this subject.

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 23:09
Now it gives the same result on 60fps as it does on 500fps

But it is too fast.

Hmm.. Anyway, I'm getting close I think.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 23:15 Edited at: 19th Aug 2008 23:20
It appears that by changing the nr. of iterations each loop from 8 (default) down to 2, I am able to get a solid "60fps" feel to the physics. Undependent on Screen FPS.

Can anyone confirm it works for you too?

Edit,
Works well with update method 2 as well

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 15:37
ok it works, but i don`t see what you are trying to acheve.

are you trying to slow down time in this exarmp?

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 16:23
When I am trying to achieve is equal performance (physics) independent on screen fps.

In my game engine I can climb ropes and swim around when the fps is over 60.
But when the fps is 60fps (vsync) or lower, the rope limbs are randomly being tossed about when climbing. And it is impossible to swim. You just sink to the bottom and is unable to move.

The engine is completely timer based, so I need the physics to be as well.
Using the command "PHY SET AUTO FIXED TIMING", which should perform eqally on all fps, which it unsurprisingly (taking into account all other faults I've had with DP) doesn't. But instead do what I described above.

I need to find a way to manually set the timing for the physcis so it is performing good on all fps's.

I implemented the usage method of this test into the game engine but it still didn't work. So now I am concerned I will have to perform a rewrite (4k lines) to make sure I didn't miss anything. Aww..

Unless someone has already figured out how to use the timer commands.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-21 07:52:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-21 07:52:34