Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Trial Depression :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:06
Airslide
Quote: "only little kids act immature"

Might want to think on that for awhile

Quote: "right now lower class people struggle to make ends meet, middle to higher class t hey get it easy. Lucky bastards lol"

My quality of life is what one would call "middle class", but that doesn't make anything easy. Especially with the way U.S. economy is going, I can't spurge on things like I used to be able to. I have to budget simple things like food.

As for the whole point of this thread - you're basically saying that pirating is bad, and that developers should lower their prices? Does it not occur to you that the point of game development - and the development of tools FOR game development - is to make money, not make products freely for masses to enjoy? There are a few exceptions of course, mainly in open source programs, but developers have to make a living. Considering game development products have a much smaller audience than games themselves, lowering prices could easily put the developers of the development products out of buisness.

I'm currently working on a 2D game called March to War. I plan on releasing this freely. However my plans are different for my game engine made in Dark Basic Pro. If I release it as an engine, I'm hesitant to release it for free. Even most of the FPSC modifications require commercial licenses that you must pay for if you wish to sell your game.

When it all comes down to it, you say that you'd gladly make a complete, fully functioning game engine, then release it for free to work on yet another one? How do you plan to purchase food, or afford your rent (or various other things, like utilities)? Developers make money so that they can afford things like this, and make profit as well.

my reply
when it boils down to it, you make do with what you got, i was never a privlaged kid growing up im 22 now, and i still believe that you make do with what you got. I live on SSI right now because of a busted leg... 4 months down 5 more to go... ugh.. and i have to make do with it, sure it would be nice to have some extra money. And sure ive thought about getting software the wrong way. But i ask my self, is it really worth it, i think about who i would be hurting. The game indestry like many other indestry get ripped off daily i dont want to contribute to it because games are my life andd so isnt developing, i want to make a name for my self. And pirating it will ruin the good name Skynet (Still need to contact fox to see how much the rights to the name is) so i dont do it, i respect people who put there hard work in to something. It just saddens me when the price is unbelievable, like 3ds max 9 that is 3000$... i nearly pissed my self looking at the price tag, All that money for just one little CD with files that have just been modded from 3ds max 8 but revamped? Wow..

We create games of tomorrow so you can play for the future
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:08 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 04:36
Airslide: I could'nt said it any better myself.

Quote: "i was never a privlaged kid growing up im 22 now"

aww damn. Am goning throght that.

POST EDIT

Come Back When You Could put up a fight!!
Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:09 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 04:14
I mean, the prices just dont seem that fair.. how can they be fair, i ask you that... 3000$? yea i understand for maybe a college or business but for one indavidual?

sucks dont it 4125... being forced to make do when half the stuff you have just isnt good enough for making games.. like, ok i have FPSC right? now what, what programs do i get next for making custom studd... C++ or what, thats ware im stuck right now, and 4125 is in the same situation i am in. I mean you can even look at the coding of your game to tweak it. Hell you cant even make it an installer .exe you have to play the game from the folder..

im really not trying to complain, im just saying my opinion about how much all these programs cost and theres isnt anything i can do, and no i am not asking the community for money because this is my problem not there. But maybe some one could help me in the right direction to alturnitives and maybe come up with way to actually GET the retail versions, jobs, getting money online, i think pogo.com was doing that at one time for people to test there games.. and which ever to get money

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:12 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 04:17
Quote: "I mean, the prices just dont seem that fair.. how can they be fair, i ask you that... 3000$? yea i understand for maybe a college or business but for one indavidual?"

not fair Yes. Worth it: YEA!! Would i buy it: nope. Y: am too lazy

I gotta stop being so lazy, and start making my bestest game i ever made one day.

Quote: "sucks dont it 4125... being forced to make do when half the stuff you have just isnt good enough for making games.. like, ok i have FPSC right? now what, what programs do i get next for making custom studd... C++ or what, thats ware im stuck right now, and 4125 is in the same situation i am in. I mean you can even look at the coding of your game to tweak it. Hell you cant even make it an installer .exe you have to play the game from the folder.."

My life. is pure CRAP. New york is a hell on earth in terms of getting money. Its hard to find a job even IF I past High School. It sucks down here, but I love NY. I barly got food for my and my moms. My moms is unemployed and am stuck look at tigerdirect.com and other stuff juss dreaming to get That $500 Video card or that 3K software program. Am never happy but FPSC is the only thing I love to do so am always happy wheter my game sucks or not. am happy with what i got so far. plus. wall street crass so the great depression might happen again. crap........

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I mean, the prices just dont seem that fair.. how can they be fair, i ask you that... 3000$? yea i understand for maybe a college or business but for one indavidual?"

You obviously don't understand how high class a piece of software like 3dsmax is, it's not meant for individuals, for a indi game, something like milkshape is better suited. Also, there is an immense amount of work put into it, and it's still updated too.

Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:15
i have to agree with you satchmo..Well, im at a standstill in thought so i guess ill be silent for now ontill i have something to say.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:16
Alright guys, im not a mod, but for some reason they avent noticed this... whether you've noticed it or not, this really is getting ugly....
Quote: "but there is ALWAYS that slight temptation of "What if""

This is a quote from you Skynet, so I can see where Jenkins would say
Quote: "Wow... Mods, keep a close eye on this guy."

And Airslide is right, this really is a bit much over not being able to afford a $50 game making program? That's a huge bargain... I want to know how much time went into this program... it's got over 27,000 lines of code (im pretty sure) and DBP had commands added for it.

And 4125, you are accusing Jenkins of trying to start a fight, but have you looked at your sig?
Quote: "Come Back When You Could put up a fight!!"

Now, lets try and behave, I'm sure when a mod does find this, noob slaps galore... and possibly banning...

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:19
Quote: "And 4125, you are accusing Jenkins of trying to start a fight, but have you looked at your sig?

Quote: "Come Back When You Could put up a fight!!"

Now, lets try and behave, I'm sure when a mod does find this, noob slaps galore... and possibly banning..."

Its just a sig from meta-knight taught from super Smash Bros. Brawl. But I can see what u mean. I like those words IDK why.

Life Tap
Years of Service
User Offline

You know, it strikes me odd that one can complain about prices of modelling programs like 3ds max and maya....if you REALLY wanted it, you can go to your local book store, *atleast mine had a couple copys* and pick up a 20-50$ book, that comes with 3ds max/maya. . . having bought the books myself, i feel like it was a waste of money...if you ever get the chance to see what 3ds max looks like, tell me if you would even want to learn it with a complex interface like it has...lol. (the book you get with the copy of maya / 3ds max, im not 100% sure these kind of things are around anymore, i got mine from a store called "Hastings" and it was a couple years back) Also i think the licensing on it may be a little different...learners license or something like that.

The Unspoken
Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:22 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 04:24
i dont see why i should be banned accept for my slight behaviur issue. But the temptation to what if, i always restrained my self and DID NOT... what if and DO NOT are two vital actions.. i chose not to do wrong, but the thought is there. if i want something so damn bad i buy it, not steal it. I know better then that, as for bannings? why. stating our opinions shouldnt be banable, but im not a mod. Thank god, theres a headacke all in it self. I just want to be here with the people learn and post threads about games, and what not. I just dont sit down while people point there finger at me and call me a priate or this that and the other thing (What ever they may be)

Life tap, your one lucky devil you are. You lucked out

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:23 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 04:25
I think i seen a book of what u talking about in Brooklyn. Nobles I think it was?
I should get ban for my sig, AND for my other issue for music. Plus for the posts in this thread...

Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:26 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 04:28
this is a post from nickydude
What on earth are you going on about Skynet? Are you complaining because you have to pay for FPSC? Or are you saying you will 'aquire' a copy for free?

no man, i dont intend on stealing from you guys. I isnt worth it and honestly. I would rather buy my stuff and not be banned from here because ill ask for help sooner or later

im probably going to get banned isnt it like a week, two weeks or is it a perma ban?

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:30 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 04:31
Quote: " I isnt worth it"

belive me. i said the same thing and i still got my soundtracks. its like smoking u can't stop once u started, but I know better in term of software. I never downloaded a software.

maybe forever ban, like me bye TGC! LOLz

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:32
Hmmm, I didnt see the second page... my post came a little late. As for the banning, I was mearly agreeing with 4125 on his belief that he might do some ban time, nothing about you Skynet. Oh, and by the way, for future reference... the mods dont like you posting your age if I remember correctly

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 04:35
Quote: " was mearly agreeing with 4125 on his belief that he might do some ban time"

to jail I go!

Quote: "Oh, and by the way, for future reference... the mods dont like you posting your age if I remember correctly"

really? Edit POST^^

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 06:17 Edited at: 26th Sep 2008 06:25
Greetings guys, I understand your dilemma but please remember, there is always a cheaper alternative. Yeah it sucks that some of the software is an ungodly price, but with time and skill you can be just as good with a lesser costing program. I'm sure there is a resources thread somewhere here or in models and media section that may offer some good alternatives. Some are even free. Allot of the tools used for game creation are these ungodly prices mainly for the reason that large companies and studios will be purchaseing them, not the little guy like us. Ive seen tons of people think they will become uber modelers just because they have 3dsmax only to find its learning curve far too high without the propper training. Give the lesser costing tools a try, I think you'll be suprised.

EDIT:Found the post its a sticky, but as a mod once told me "no one reads the stickys"
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116411&b=24
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 06:58
I'm going to give everyone a pass on this, as well as a lock. Please find better ways to vent your frustrations in the future.

.....and do not pirate anything.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 21:27:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 21:27:50