Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 23:55 Edited at: 1st Oct 2008 13:33
GameXS is a new technology similar to Valve's Steam, and supported by Gunn3r Games that allows FPSC users and users of other engines to download and purchase indie made media and games to your FPSC or other game engine installation with the click of a mouse.

GameXS also features a game launcher, an SDK for making your games GameXS Ready, and more, including the previously mentioned store! We also have a pending incorporation with a top FPSC modder to integrate GameXS with a mod and provide to you even more functionality for your FPSC games.

There also is a list of popular FPSC games that will become GameXS Ready, so stay tuned!

Screenshots

Our new GUI. The old GameXS screenshots (below) are from a beta GUI. Now we are working in WPF, so we can deliver a more rich user interface and user experience.

Again, these are old, and we have a new GUI coming soon.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 00:31
lookin nice

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 01:59 Edited at: 30th Sep 2008 02:12
One of the things that was not mentioned in the above post is the use of Achievements. Originally implemented in the Gunn3r Games Forums system, the achievement points will be used to determine the user ranking. The higher the achievement score is, the higher your ranking. Just try and knock off the top guys...

Gunn3r Games
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
We've also got some other things relating to achievements brewing.

I think you guys'll like what's coming.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2008 13:24
nice, any thoughts on a release date yet?

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
I would give an estimate, but I generally do radical things with my projects, things which generally take tons of time. Like a few days ago when I decided I didn't like the database and wanted to do it over.

It's just how I am.

woot for toot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2008 23:14
nice it might be coolif u could buy media with acheivment points

fear my udder of doom!
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
We originally thought that would be a good idea. However, I'd be pretty annoyed if my media were being given away essentially for free.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
-Bump-

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 00:01
I like it, would it be possible for profits made on this to be cobverted directly to points?

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
I could add that feature. That would be completely possible.

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds cool... Though I don't think that models should be sold there, we already have the TGC store.

"What's with everybody quoting Butterfingers in their sig?"-Inspire
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 02:57
Well, the GameXS store won't have restrictions like the 18+ section. Instead, it will have either the modelers upload an alternately textured version (i.e. green blood instead of red) or we could IP-ban certain IPs from seeing content that the country that their IP is from shouldn't see.

Gunn3r Games
Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 03:43 Edited at: 4th Oct 2008 03:44
Oh, cool.

"What's with everybody quoting Butterfingers in their sig?"-Inspire
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 01:19
quite clever, I like it

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 23:04
Bump, as the content that this thread has, while currently outdated, is still useful to a current discussion.

Gunn3r Games
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good, it was programmed in Visual Studio (Either Visual Basic, C#, or C++), you can tell by the icon in the corner!

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, the lack of a custom icon other than the VS one.

Yeah, it's in C#.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm, I have never messed with C# before, supposedly it's an easy and just as powerful version of C++. I usually just use Visual Basic for quick applications.

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
C# is a modern evolution of C++, since microsoft stopped supporting C++ with after VS6 in 2001.

It's a noble idea, but be aware that determined hackers are going to jump on and try to pick holes in both your servers and the core program files as soon as it becomes the slightest bit popular. From experience I know that even well programmed software is not immune from such things as TCP/IP redirection and in most cases direct modification of memory values. To what extent is the program data, both in memory and when transmitted protected?

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 01:15
I simply cannot wait for thsi thing...

Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
I am shaking with anticipation. lol
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 18:50
maybe patch and update section for games? you can subscribe to updates for games then you can download em too

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-20% (ON HOLD)
Doomsday RPG-5%
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Every bit of software has some kind of vulnerability in it, it's all a matter of finding them before it's too late.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2009 02:19 Edited at: 12th Jan 2009 02:20
Quote: "Hm, I have never messed with C# before, supposedly it's an easy and just as powerful version of C++. I usually just use Visual Basic for quick applications."

Sorta. Visual Basic.NET is pretty similar to C#. Only difference is that C# can do more with generics, and has anonymous methods and some other goodies. (plus semicolons and curly braces )

Quote: "
C# is a modern evolution of C++, since microsoft stopped supporting C++ with after VS6 in 2001.
"

Nah, not really. C++ is still going strong, C# is just managed, and the FCL is a bunch easier to use than the Win32 API or MFC or other stuff like that.

It's a noble idea, but be aware that determined hackers are going to jump on and try to pick holes in both your servers and the core program files as soon as it becomes the slightest bit popular. From experience I know that even well programmed software is not immune from such things as TCP/IP redirection and in most cases direct modification of memory values. To what extent is the program data, both in memory and when transmitted protected?
"

Since this a 3-Tiered database application, most of the "important stuff" happens on the web server. The only time the client will ever connect directly to the database is to execute a certain stored procedure (just one, the rest are done via the web services) and using a user that only has privileges to do that. We are actually considering changing that, too.

Now, that is not to say that .NET has its inherent security problems, considering that I can decompile a program written in any language that compiles to MSIL (like C#, VB.NET, C++/CLI, etc) with a program like Reflector. However, we may make a program in C++ or possibly VB.NET that would write the GameXS.exe file to a temporary directory, similar to how programs like Phoenix Sentry work, and then erase it when the application closes.

Regardless, everything is very secure, especially compared to people who create their own sites to sell their products. You should not worry at all when it comes to creating a GameXS ID or selling your products on GameXS.

maybe patch and update section for games? you can subscribe to updates for games then you can download em too
"

That's a feature we're considering for GameXS Ready games, where, upon startup, the game would check for new updates/patches. Downloadable content is also a big thing relating to this, although we need to get the basics done first.

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 21:37
Quote: "determined hackers are going to jump on"

I'm working on a program called encryptor. I normally build it into my programs so that when I open them (or encryptor in this case) it decrypts the program (very quickly) and on exit encrypts it again. It does all this to a secret location that changes every time you run the program. This makes it harder for hackers to view the code. Although there are a few flaws(like windows search) I'm working on a version that runs straight from memory, so the hard drive (and therefore any search utility) is not invlolved.

If your interested e-mail me.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Everything can be cracked, you can slow them down, but you cannot stop them.

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
The only problem is if you unintentionally create a backdoor or loophole in your program that could be exploited by every man and his dog. I'm fairly satisfied this won't happen, as you guys seem to know what you're doing.

Having it handled server side is great, because you don't have the data in the hands of the end users so they can tamper with it.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 01:36
Just a heads up, I've made several songs and am waiting for GameXS to release to sell them. I'm also thinking about putting up a model or two.

Gunn3r Games
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 02:20
Any thoughts on a release date yet? Can't wait for this. In post 1 you said i's become similar to valve's steam, will it have a list of games you can join?

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 02:29
So far, we have a word in for Demon Sun, ELE, and obviously anything GG makes, including Tristan Craft and the Lost City, Emergence... etc. We've also done some talking with Bond1 and Errant AI for their models and things look fairly optimistic. (I'm not going to try and promise them in GameXS if things don't work out).

In other words, yes. It will have a list of games you can join.

Gunn3r Games
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Having it handled server side is great, because you don't have the data in the hands of the end users so they can tamper with it."

As said before, people can create emulators or boot loaders that can bypass this.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As said before, people can create emulators or boot loaders that can bypass this."

What do you mean?
Obviously no program is 100% secure, but this is the kind of stuff real companies do...
Fill me in...

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
An emulator, one that can fake an internet connection or secure connection to get what it's target is. Same with boot loaders, you can easily create an over-writable EXE to get past security. That's why people quickly realized dongles were a bad idea because they provided no much better security than server registration. ANY code can be decompiled (well, actually, MD5 has yet to be cracked, but unfortunately it's for web sites).

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 22:13 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 22:14
MD5 is a one-way hashing algorithm, I'm not sure I can see any use for it in the way you describe.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
I think some forums and things use it for hashing passwords, like hashing a password, and then when the person enters it when logging in, the supplied password is hashed and compared to the one in the database. There might be some other steps in between, because that would be kind of insecure, considering that MD5 hashes have high overlap in terms of the number of different strings that can end up at the same thing after being hashed.

Regardless, I am confident of the security of GameXS. I created the thing to be fairly secure, and I'm confident that since the whole 3-tiered application thing is used by real companies, and has proved to be effective and secure, that as long as I'm fairly careful, no giant vulnerabilities could be unearthed, and if they do, I'd probably notice and take action both to fix the security hole, and to prosecute the person who figured it out.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone is going to pirate and crack an FPSC game, that's kinda sad anyway.

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 17:13 Edited at: 19th Jan 2009 17:14
Sent you an e-mail xyzz1233. Its about some security things that'll take five minutes to add in but are worth a lifetime. I used them in MMC.

JRH

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 18:06
Well, it's not only FPSC games. Since I'm finishing up my use with FPSC (after Emergence is done, I'm done), we're looking to include any sort of indie game. But, yeah, I see your point.

Gunn3r Games
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm currently working on some stuff that allows you to find the username of the user currently logged onto GameXS.

There will be an SDK that allows you to do that by simply calling a function, plus some filemapping stuff for use in DBPro.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 19:44
Will these "Achievements" be based around online activity, or from playing FPSC Games? And if so, how will you be able to implement achievements into an FPSC Game?
Also, will this GUI allow users to upload their games onto the interface for other users to buy? And half the profit is split between designer and GameXS owners?
Just some suggestions... Sugar rush wearing off... Goodnight... zzzzzz

Making the challenge? More like kicking teh nass!
Seen Endangered City yet? It wont last long!
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 19:53
Hurry up! I can't wait much longer. Hi Pete.

JRH

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 19:58
Ghwaaaaaaaaa??? Do I know you?

Making the challenge? More like kicking teh nass!
Seen Endangered City yet? It wont last long!
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Will these "Achievements" be based around online activity, or from playing FPSC Games? And if so, how will you be able to implement achievements into an FPSC Game?"

They will be based around playing GameXS Ready games. You can make your own GameXS ready games with the GameXS SDK (not the filemapping, though), or use an FPSC mod that might be created for this.

Quote: "Also, will this GUI allow users to upload their games onto the interface for other users to buy? And half the profit is split between designer and GameXS owners?"

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. You can do the same thing with media, too.
BTW, our profit split is currently undecided, but it is actually around 70% for you and 30% for us, although the number might change.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 01:49
JRH, you shouldnt give out personal info over the internet, he seems freaked out about the fact that you know who he is.

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 02:01
Is this still a WIP? As I'd love to upload my game when its done in about half a year or so. It does support X10 games, right?

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
It supports anything, as long as you can follow the simple upload procedures. (Zipping the file up and creating a file to tell where everything goes. More on that when GameXS is released.)

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 20:59
We are one step closer to the release of GameXS. I'm working on moving over to a new webhost soon, which should allow me to host GameXS.

Gunn3r Games
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 23:27
Your not hosting it yourself???

JRH

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 02:53
You know I was just thinking, what would be the point of an offline login?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 03:18:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 03:18:34