Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / (Hopefully) A new game designer!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi all! i love playing card games, and ive wanted to make one for a long time. i was wondering, are there any free programs with an EASY interface to make playing card games you can play against the computer?

i was thinking of buying game maker, but im not sure. does anyone know of any programs, or anything?

thanks.
Arla
Years of Service
User Offline
by the way, i can afford darkbasic. so, i want to know if its possible to make good games with it, being a new designer?
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 06:16
Hiya, welcome!

You can definitely make a card game in DBPro (or DBC, but I recommend DBPro, DBC isn't really supported anymore). If you've never programmed before, it does take some time and determination to learn the basics about variables and the commands and such. There are some good tutorials on the newcomer's board to help you though.

Computer AI can be a little difficult, depending on what card game you go for. It's certainly possible, but you may need to gain some experience before you can pull it off.

(Here's a great example of a very well-presented card game in DBC:
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=73)

Good luck!
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 14:21 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2008 14:23
And if you are going to be doing a lot of 2d games you could also look into PlayBasic, and later purchase DBPro for your 3D dev.

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 18:33
Card games are probably a great place to start learning game mechanics and layout because it's a standard rule set, you have a set number of cards with their own image an value - so handling them neatly is quite easy once you have, say 52 plain objects textured with the card faces. You might end up rewriting stuff a lot until you get a good system, but having a solid base like a deck of cards to work from is the best way to learn.

Starting with just a system that lets you shuffle and distribute the cards into hands etc would be a good start, a lot of people prefer to get the basic game system in place, using text for example. I'm not saying that's wrong, but when you have a system like DBPro it's so quick to get media in place and looking good that it can really fuel your motivation. A text based Blackjack game is something that would teach you a lot, but having something your proud to show other people from early on makes you want to finish it, and that's where the buzz comes from that keeps us going.

The most successful projects here tend to be the ones that take a simple game mechanic, and present it well. Starting with a card game will teach you enough to move onto other projects like puzzle games, board games, types of arcade games too. Casual gaming is really our forte at the end of the day, more people should be realistic and capitalize on that.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 18:04:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 18:04:00