Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Phy Ray Cast Functions returning lowest numbered object with collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 02:25
"phy ray cast" and "phy ray cast all shapes" appear to be both returning the lowest numbered object the ray collides with. For instance, if you cast a ray as so:

This happens with both.

phy ray cast closest shape seems to return no collisions of any sort at all, ever, period, end of story. I'm not the only one to report this happening either. I've found posts from even Dark Coder himself reporting this problem with "phy ray cast closest shape"

Everything I needed to know about trigonometry, I learned by becoming a game programmer.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 11:37
Lucy are you cast your ray in this order?

this is how the demo is doing it.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 17:30
Actually I think I corrected myself a few posts later, I don't recall the exact issue but one of the two commands takes a unit vector direction and the other takes a world-space position for the ray-end, I think. So it was more of the documentation/commands being wildly different rather than them not working.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 18:06
roll on the new release then we can have fun seeing what got mended and hats got broken.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 01:25
I'm using DP 1.05.

HowDo, that's precisely how I'm doing it.

DC, that's exactly what I've been doing. I've been casting with world space coords and with normalized direction vectors, as noted in my original post.

However, phy ray cast closest shape() is NOT returning properly. I've cast with both a normalized vector (as works with phy ray cast all shapes()) and with a world coordinate vector (as works with phy ray cast()) and phy ray cast closest shape() does not work.

At any rate, I emailed Mike Johnson about the problem and he's confirmed that something funky is going on with ray casting. It's not working the way he remembers it and says he's going to try to fix it.

Everything I needed to know about trigonometry, I learned by becoming a game programmer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-15 06:44:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-15 06:44:20