Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Oriental fantasy project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Cyril ! I will ask you something regarding those tips but first let me answer your question. The fps range from 90-150 at 1680x1024 and 130-200 at 1280x720. DOF has quiet a big impact on the frames per second. I was able to win some extra frames by using DDS compression, DXT1 and DXT5.
I'm using a NVidia 9600 GT on a 1.86Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 Processor with 4GB, nothing too fancy.

I've been trying to implement the Dark Physics particle system but ended up with a flashing/half transparent scene. Had the same problem when I tried to ghost an object. So I guess there is a connection.
But it also seems not to be possible to hide the DPhysics particle meshes. I can only turn on/off the emitter, but that resets the particles.

My actual question is regarding the lightmaps.
I had in mind to unwrap the objects with a second UV, then have another texture stage in the shader for the lightmaps (on uv2).

Could you explain to me how exactly your method works ?
I have tried to use an extra mesh for the lightmaps before, but had problems with the blending of the two meshes. It would only work if I wouldn't use normal mapping on the first mesh.

Thanks a lot !

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 14:38
Ive seen commercial games that lack that qaulity, very nice

gamer for life
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 17:34
Whoa, those last shots look just as good as a lot of commercial games. If you can hit the gameplay you'll have a real quality game here man!

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 17:32 Edited at: 1st May 2009 10:56
Thanks a lot !
I have uploaded a new video on youtube.com, just showing the current state of things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeVVWPefdc

Recently I gave Evolveds Deferred Shader a try. I was impressed by the effects, HDR, DOF and Lightshafts. However in no way was I able to make the normal maps visible. Well not really, I was able to see the normal mapping effect if I would scale every object in the scene by 100. But then I would have something like an ghost image, the objects seemed to be there twice, where one would be slightly transparent. I still remember having the same problem with one of his previous versions, when I changed the screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1680x1050 or 1280x720.
So I thought that one of the cameras might have a different camera aspect. Creating this double vision, but no luck there.
I also tried to scale the whole thing in my 3d application, but the normal maps would still not be shown.
Taking a quick look at the render image of the normal map pass, it's totally flat. So I took a look at the light range and position.
Anyway, my changes had no effect. I need the scene quiet larger to get the shadows right. But no matter what, I always have the flat diffuse look without the normal map effect.
I'm a bit disappointed, the shadows and hdr did look excellent.
The fps did suffer though. Anyway I attached a screenshot of the scene using Evolveds Deferred Shader. And don't mind the fps

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 21:37
Wow, this looks amazing. It looks even better than some commercial games I've seen.

TheCleverGuyz
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 23:20
I like it, but your original look is better. Some how before it had a more dreamy look, as i would expect a fantasy Japanese level to look... all blossom trees, and hazy views. THe differed shader is cool. the shadows rule, but the bloom looks too over exposed, and without the normal mapping, it looks like a very polished PS2 game, whereas before it looked like a very stylised current game

I want robotic legs.
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 23:46 Edited at: 29th Apr 2009 23:49
Looks very good but I like the old one more, too. Nice vid, btw, good animation.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 04:08 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 04:11
You are right, it looks very flat without the normal mapping. And the overall screen with the bloom is overly bright, some sort of a washed out look.
Lighting is really great though, I wouldn't have dynamic lighting/shadows if I'd lightmap the whole level.
But as for now I'm using my original shaders. At least until I get the look I want. The ideal would be my normal map shader with the light effects of the deferred shader. I normalized some parts of the deferred normal map shader, but the shadows on the lighting pass still cancel out normal mapping in the shadow areas. I'll just see what I can do.
Thanks for your feedback guys !

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i think the camera would be better if you had it higher up and slanted down so we didn't just see the characters back.
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 21:41
The .... best .... looking .... game made in DBPro! (imo)

This project looks utterly amazing.

wendelcandance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 05:54
I remember coming across your videos on youtube early on. Wow, it has come along!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 04:33
I need to Bump this. Just to say how great this looks!

I`m using FPSCreator (don`t throw things at me now) and I thought that 99% of all 3d DBPProjects would be ugly ragtag vomit. I`ve been totally wrong. These Screens, the Character, these Plants and the Building Architecture as the impressive use of shaders are totally uber awesome.

Dude, I`m really looking forward to this!

-Wolf

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 21:39 Edited at: 5th Jul 2009 19:02
I'm back ! First of all thanks for all the nice feedback and kind words.
I made some progress with the level design, but it's not done yet. One area is still missing, after that I will do some detailing, place some ivy, and grass around the edges.
Foliage proved to quiet drop the frame rate at certain circumstances.
I don't know if it is a shader issue though.
I have 5 trees at the lions statue area, which had the leaf billboards at the same height.
At first I didn't know what caused the frame rate drop of around 20 fps at a certain spot, standing between the statues and looking towards the gate. I systematically removed objects, until I removed 20k polygons worth of objects and I would still have the same frame rate drop.
Well at the end it turned the billboards are causing the slow downs, I had to alter the height of some trees so some of the billboards would be partly out of the field of view.

Some people complained about the camera and the difficulty to see what's ahead of you. But the previous cam was just temporary anyway, and I have to admit it was anything but sophisticated. It pretty much just followed the character without the ability to change the camera angles.
I think I mentioned that I didn't want to change the distance between camera and character. Practical or not, I prefer it that way.
So while keeping the cam at the same distance, now it's possible to adjust the camera. You can move left and right 360 degrees around the character and move up 20 degrees to give a slight slant. This makes it much easier to see what's ahead of you or around you, I think that should work for every one. Now you move with A,W,S,E and adjust the cam with the arrow keys.

Well anyway, here are the latest shots.

And the new video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLLAdNqb2Bc

AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 02:39
Words can't explain what about to say but this is Amazing!

You have a good eye for detail and this shows in your project.

For the video I would suggest using Fraps http://www.fraps.com/download.php it records at 30fps which is smooth for videos.

btw, is there any chance of adding shadows, and a demo release? Also is this a showcase or is it going to be an actual game?

Great work!
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 08:28 Edited at: 12th Jul 2009 07:33
Thanks and thanks for the advice. I shall try fraps for my next capture, hope it creates some better videos.
I'm going to implement shadows, either through light maps or a shader.
At the moment I'm trying to adapt the cubic shadow map technique in one of Evolveds shaders. I hope it will work out since I would prefer that solution.
There will most definitely be a demo release, but not until I have added some gameplay.
As for now it's just a showcase, once I completed a demo I'll see how I feel about doing a game. It could be a bit overwhelming since I'm working alone, maybe I could pull it off in episodes.
I guess I'll cross the bridge when I get there.
Thanks again !

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. Looks amazing. Keep it up!

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 21:47
The atmosphere somehow reminds me of "Jade Empire", which is definitely a good thing.

Some impressive work!

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey!Thanks for using my work from NGXmusical.This looks really great from the pic's.I can see you put a lot of work in it and improvement as well.

Looking forward to the final work

Again thanks for the interests in NGXmusical
Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic looking project. Very beautiful.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks to all of you for the praise. NGXmusical you got my thanks as well, for creating music for the project.

Doomster, Jade Empire is actually one my inspirations, as well as Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma,Onimusha and some anime and Japanese movies.
I hope the gameplay will turn out well. I have a couple of things planned out which I hope I'll be able to realize.
I'm pretty excited about working on the indoor scenes of the castle.
But I still have to think about how to manage the lighting. Eventually I'll have to edit the shader to add some light sources.
Anyway, I think there is a lot to look forward to.
Check back for progress.
Thanks a lot for your interest guys !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 03:28:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 03:28:08