Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Polygon Collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 21:48
I've had two issues which means I've had to halt two games I've been making.

The first game was a combat car racer. It was working fine, but the rotation commands are a little buggy. I've found a couple of posts that have confirmed my suspicions so I'll try the suggested work arounds there and wait for it to be fixed in a patch. The problem is simply that I cannot rotate an object around it's own z-axis, no matter what set of commands I use.

The other problem on my new project is with polygon collision. This also seems to be faulty. I was testing it after some problems and if I just set up two objects and check for collision between them by using object hit() and object collision() it's totally unreliable. Half the time it reports a collision and the other half of the time the objects can be totally overlapping and it doesn't report a collision.

Unfortunately I dont have the code to hand but I'm 100% certain my code is simple and working right. Programming my own polygon collision would be a nightmare, so I'll have to wait for a patch. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has found this problem so it can be confirmed.

Cheers.
Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
Not exactly, I was trying to use the new (for DBPro) Object Radius commands (which set/return the collision radius used for spherical collision) and found that 'Set object radius' seemed to make no difference to when a collision was detected and that 'object collision radius' returned and odd number which seemed linked only to the scaling value and not the actual size of the object.

I would write another work around, but frankly I`m getting tired of doing that, it always ends up messy and inefficient and the thought of having to go back and remove them all when the bugs are fixed is depressing.

Ho hum, roll on patch 3
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 15:43
.. and 4, and 5, and 6, and 7 ... etc.

Wasn't it about patch 7 before db was actually working with most bugs removed?

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
Something like that, but the bugs seemed so much less annoying then, maybe its because with DB we had never used the commands before, so we spent longer thinking it was us before reporting a bug.
Now we are familiar with what the commands should do, so we spot it that much quicker when they don`t do what they should do.
Lee Bamber
Years of Service
User Offline
A very valid point. There are so many DB experts now I can hardly keep up with the bug fixes. I'm in hogs heaven at the moment, so many bugs to squash - its like bubble wrap Patch 3 will contain a new polygon collision system whereby you cannot get through the mesh without a detection.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 03:38
yay! But will it be fast?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Yippee.. that answers my questions on Poly Collision then, I was begining to think it was a problem with my eye sight seeing the objects running through each other while using it.. hehe, I look forward to this new system indeed. Oh, and I did get my Eye's checked and the report is they are 100% ok but that was for another reason not actually DB

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 14:31
Brilliant! Looking forward to that patch 3 then. At least one of my projects should be mostly free of obstacles.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 12:32:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 12:32:59