Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Unyielding Assault - Spell Based Team Dueling Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 18:28
Im in ,
Now just some serious optimization to boost the FPS, tho i doubt it will be problem in my PC

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice screenshots, but those sideways trees just look awkward. Typical plants grow towards the light source, which is straight up.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 19:32
I think those sideways trees are original and IMO great =) Just make them more curvy and if you want realisim make the end point of the curvy tree grow towards life source.

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 19:52
This looks very close to Guild Wars... Very close.
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 21:32
Great progress until now. Those battles remind me a little of Savage 2! Good luck with it, looks promising!
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 23:00
The new terrain looks really good, keep it up.

TheCleverGuyz
Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude... This is a really good game made in DarkBASIC. It is progressing very well. It can show people how close it can get to real PROFESSIONAL work. It looks very much like Guild Wars and just from the screenies I can tell its definitley worth putting in the showcase. I hope you finish a demo. I love the creatures you have made. The feild medic looks really good. I can't wait for the demo but I'll wait knowing that the longer it takes the better it will be. Keep up the awesome coding

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 17:14 Edited at: 9th May 2009 18:18
Sorry for the late response, I've been busy all week.

@Roxas: Haha thanks . As for the FPS, I'm not sure how I can optimize-- the game was starting to slow down before I even added the spells and now, probably due to the way I'm handling things, it's even slower... I'm not sure how to fix it lol

@Jimpo: Thanks, and what you say about the plants is true. The reason why they are like that is because I made the foliage system orient things to the terrain so that things like grass and rocks didn't always point straight up. However, I've added a flag that I can change telling if the plant orients to the terrain or not now. Good suggestion .'

@Roxas (again): lol Maybe I'll have some worlds with normal trees and others with sideways

@Clbembry: That was the objective, in a way . I like playing Guild Wars, so I figured why not make my own version?

@Zapakitul: Thanks . I haven't played Savage 2 before though, but judging by the videos I guess it is a little similar.

@Half Life Guy: Thanks . The shader (and textures for the moment) are by Green Gandalf, but I drew the heightmap in photoshop.

@Game Guy: Wow thanks! I didn't make the models-- they're from DarkMatter2. I just added a shader to them .

@Everyone: I should have a demo out this weekend. Just keep in mind that the file might be huge . There will be just 1 sample team that you can fight against, as I haven't added winning/losing yet. Or I could add that first and then release a demo...

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 04:54 Edited at: 10th May 2009 05:21

DEMO VERSION v0.1 IS OUT!!!!

As promised, here is the first demo version (v0.1). It features 5 units, each with their own unique spells. It also features 5 worlds, including a new beach world .
Get it from MediaFire here. The file size is a little on the big side...:

-A lot of the menus don't work yet... if you have any questions just ask .
-Also, feel free to post comments, suggestions, criticism and ideas

Readme (Contains controls and informal disclaimers and stuff. It's also included in the download.) :

Anyway, enjoy the demo and let me know what you guys think!

Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yey! I've been waiting for this!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 06:25
Wow, that foliage made a HUGE difference! Cool! Downloading demo...

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Demo crashes instantly. Doesn't even get a chance to load past a black screen.

I tried the demo on my Vista laptop, so that might be the problem.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 10:37
Demo doesn't work for me either and it won't give me any type of error message.

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 11:05
This looks amazing, downloading the demo - hopefully it'll work for me

Dir en grey, Slipknot, the GazettE, Gackt, Miyavi, SuG, Sadie, alice nine., exist trace, HIGH and MIGHTY COLO(u)R, Kagrra,, MAXIMUM THE HORMONE = <3
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 11:45
Demo just crashes at start up! :\
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 14:17 Edited at: 10th May 2009 15:04
It's crashing for everyone? I've tested it on 3 different computers (including this one, all of which are Windows XP) and it has worked just fine. I'm not sure what the problem could be... Here are my settings for compiling the EXE if anyone knows of any conflicts:

Maybe it has something to do with the DLL files I'm using? Or the fact that the media is included? I'm not sure what the problem could be and I have no way of testing it on my own since it works on all of the computers here . Anyway, has this happened to anyone before?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 16:07
It worked great for me.

Intel Core 2 Duo
3328 MB RAM
Windows XP Home 5.1
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

NVidia GeForce 8600 GT

1280x1042 screen.

Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
It worked for me too. It was very intense. I could barley see it was so intense .

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 20:58
It works fine here. The only thing worth mentioning is that I have XP Home. I'm on a slow computer right now so I didn't get to play it much but when I get the chance I'll make sure to comment.

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:02
@BMacZero: I'm glad it worked for you. What did you think of the game itself?

@Game Guy: I'm glad it worked OK. And by intense, do you mean intense in a good way, or intense in a too difficult to play bad way...

@DB PROgrammer: It worked for you too- cool. Let me know how it was when you get the chance

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:37
Awesome graphics and furious gameplay (which is excellent, although it was sometimes hard to see what was going on). Keep it up .

I had one complaint, I don't remember what it was though...oh, it might have been the fact that people can run up and down VERY steep hills . Just keep adding spells, maybe equipment, and this will be a great game.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 01:56
Wow, i just tried playing and it was just impossible to tell what was going on. There were particles all over the screen, I couldn't see a thing. I ran around and clicked on some units (which I think were enemies but I'm not sure) and then eventually died.

Nice graphics and animations though
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 03:04 Edited at: 11th May 2009 03:04
Thanks for trying it guys . I understand it is a tad hard to play-- did you guys try zooming out with the right mouse button/mouse?

@BMacZero: Thanks! About the hills. Since the game has no pathfinding, having logical terrain collision would throw off the AI so I didn't add it. Plus it's easier the way it is now.

@draknir_: Thanks . As for the not being able to tell what was happening, did you try zooming out/changing the camera with the mouse? Also I may have to reduce the number of trees... they often obscure the fight lol.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 03:35
Ah, that was it! More intellegent AI as far as pathfinding . I thought the fact that the enemies just rush straight at you from the start was a bit boring. There is a huge opportunity for strategy in looking for your opponent or getting some time to lay in ambush for them, and the current AI kind of limits that.

The current AI also means that a large amount of the map doesn't even get played - you usually end up fighting right at the starting location.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 03:49
@BMacZero: Right now the start locations are random. A lot of the time you'll start far away from your enemy . Also, they don't run straight to you they set patrol points in your general area and go there. So if you move, they'll go to where you used to be. Anyway, I do agree that as of now the AI is a bit limited, but I don't mind it as is. I don't want things to get too complex. You can always run away to other parts of the map. But then they will just follow you unless you have a Storm Spirit to speed you up or something so yeah a bit boring maybe. The enemies do run away when they have low health though .

Has anyone beaten the sample team? Should I have made an easier team .

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 04:12
I beat them about 2 out of 3 times. I'm usually the only one left standing from my team, though

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 13:39
Downloaded, and works, slow but works.. but... excuse me for silly question. How can I play it? seriously, I can't get out from the menu, I select the team and then what? none of the buttons do anything. What should I click?
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 16:27
"Start from last checkpoint" seems to be the only one that works.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 02:50
@BMacZero: Cool, so the team doesn't seem to be a push-over then .

@Garion: BMacZero has got it. For the moment I've only implemented "Start from Last Checkpoint".

And sorry for the slowness. I'm not sure how the game could be sped up without redesigning the entire engine... For now I guess you'll just have to decrease the resolution

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 11:26
I tried "Start from Last Checkpoint" but nothing works... weird, it has to be my old computer well, the screens look awesome anyway, the overall look has improved sooo much with adding the foliage. great work!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2009 23:02
Thanks! Yeah, the speed worries me, but I can't really think of a way to totall optimize the game without redesigning the engine which is something I don't really feel like doing. And even that might not even work.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2009 23:24
Hmm... I thought my other computer would be able to handle it but I guess not. I never really got to properly play it because I could never get over 10fps, but I got very close using all field medics for teammates. Maybe they're a little overpowered if you have three of them?

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 22:19
It's possible that they are overpowered, but I think more important is the fact that the game runs so slowly . Nobody can play.

Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol. By intense it made it more difficult to play and In a way I looked back and said WOW! Those are some effects.

Proud Leader of the DarkBASIC club. Inspired by TGC & Celestial Coding
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 15:44
Oh okay lol. Yeah... So the game is slow and chaotic . Do you guys think it's worth continuing if it's going to run at this speed ?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 16:33 Edited at: 20th May 2009 16:37
It ran great on my computer, which while new, isn't anything too powerful. I don't know why it's so slow on everyone else's. I like it, but if it's going to run that slow on so many people's computers, you're either going to have to optimise it or do something else I guess .

Edit: The terrain looks really high-poly. Do you have any LOD on that or the trees?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 16:58 Edited at: 20th May 2009 16:59
It did not run under Wine so i cant say anything.
To optimize time certain functions that does not need to run every frame. If you have lots of lists for do loops do you have to cycle trough every item always?

You could do something like Row * Cur_Col and stuff.. Just incase if you dint know

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 15:19
@BMacZero: The trees don't have any LOD besides being hidden off-screen, but the game was just as laggy even before I added them. I think the problem could be either the terrain or the character models themselves...

@Roxas: Maybe I'll try not running them each loop as you suggest.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 23:14 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 23:15
can't get the demo to run
vista home premium.
tried xp compatability = still no go.
you mentioned dll's before; which ones?
i know i couldn't get jimpo's Dego to run because of his initial use of Enhanced Audio for .ogg files.
once he converted to .wav and dropped the dll, it ran great.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 04:34 Edited at: 25th May 2009 04:23
You know what, I don't even use that plugin in my game but I still have commands from it left over in one of my include files! That would explain the problem .

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 20:39
New demo wont run, BUT THE YOUTUBE VID looked awsome! yeah, i got xp pro,Sp2.
HeLP!?

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 17:49
Thanks! A lot of people had trouble running the demo and I think it might have something to do with the enhanced audio plugin that I was going to use but never ended up using. I don't have the code with me right now so I can't upload a new demo, but if you've used the enhanced audio plugin without incident then I don't know what the problem could be . What kind of error message are you getting?

Also I probably won't get around to finishing this due to the slowness of the game itself

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 00:49:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 00:49:51