Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] Key press and release

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I needed to track key press and release events, to control my player animations. I couldn't find any really extensible examples at the forum here, so I put this together.

Please offer suggestions or better solutions, if you have them. DBP only allows one to check two of the four key states, by default, so this seems to be a fairly common problem.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 02:03 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 02:04
Quote: "Please offer suggestions or better solutions, if you have them"

You could use the win api and GetAsyncKeyState to determine the keystate. The high order bit determines if the key is pressed. The low order bit determines if it was pressed previously.

Though this example is a bit clunky, it shows the idea. Written for DBC, change & to && for Pro. It is only checking for the 'A' key. You would change that by using the virtual key codes.

Enjoy your day.
Cagedrei
Years of Service
User Offline
Ooh. Interesting. In searching the forums for a solution, I'd never seen anything about this possibility.

What you're doing is loading one of the Windows dlls directly? Or is the user23.dll something I'd need to track down for DBP? I'd assumed this problem would have to be approached directly, using Dark Basic's commands. If there are better tools, I'm pleased to know it.

I'll see what I can learn about the win32.dll. Thanks, Latch.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What you're doing is loading one of the Windows dlls directly?"

Yes.
The whole programming toolset is called the win32 API. There are a series of DLLs that are part of the windows operating system. Inside the DLLS are all kinds of functions. The DLL I used was User32.dll which should be in all windows distributions. The function in the DLL was GetAsyncKeyState.

Quote: "I'd assumed this problem would have to be approached directly, using Dark Basic's commands. If there are better tools, I'm pleased to know it."

I don't know if it is a "better" method per se, but it is less code. The results are the 4 states you are looking for I think - key IS down, key IS up, key WAS down, key WAS up. You'll just have to supply the virtual key code for the key you want to check (can be mouse buttons as well). Virtual Key Codes - these are in hex.

If the result is < 0 then then the key is pressed
If the result AND (&&) 1 is 1 the key was pressed before it's current state
If the result && 1 is 0 then the key was up before it's current state
If the result is 0 then the key is up now and it wasn't pressed before it's current state

Enjoy your day.
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 19:17
this is what i use for keeping track of keystates and keyclicks.
You will find it useful im sure.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
Cagedrei
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, CuCuMBeR. I'll try it. Sorry for the delayed response. I hadn't checked this forum for a few days, and I forgot to check the mail response feature when I posted.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:27:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:27:11